SiteLock
Would like to try it before I buy it... - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
bubbletron
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Los Angeles
Postings: 219
bubbletron is on a distinguished road
Default Would like to try it before I buy it...

So it seems that in So Cal, there are no dealerships willing to let anyone take a versys (or any bike) out for a test ride and we are supposed to buy solely based upon the comfort of the seating position. Tried that, like it, but want to know how it feels. So I was curious if there is anyone in the LA area willing to let me try theirs?

- - -
1995 KLR685 : happy to be on two wheels again
2003 KLR685 :
gone with the summer winds of patagonia

adventures in: alison's wanderland : FB
bubbletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Last1Out
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2009
Locale: Franklin, North Carolina
Postings: 161
Last1Out is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would like to try it before I buy it...

Yes, it's an old thread but the title is right.

I just got back from Kawasaki's 'Ticket to Ride' in Tampa and had a chance to test a few, including the Versys. I was nicely impressed by the bike, relatively smooth, plenty of power, flickable and a fun ride.

BUT, the seat is an absolute deal breaker. Besides forcing you more forward to the thinner part of the saddle, the step in back is too tall to let you move backwards in the saddle if you wanted to. The step also rides a little rough on your back while you're trying to get comfortable. There's no way I could do anything over 100 miles in this seat without a case of numb-butt with a side of monkey-butt thrown in.

What a shame, because otherwise, the bike is a winner. Kudos to Kawasaki for the Ticket to Ride events, we had a great time there. Check their website and if there's one coming close to you, go ride a bunch and become your own tester.

https://tickettoride.kawasaki.com/Home/

Last edited by Last1Out; 03-26-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Last1Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Notsofast71
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Thibodaux, LA
Postings: 1,058
Notsofast71 is on a distinguished road

The closest ticket to ride event to me is in Houston...7 hours away. They also thought it would be a good idea to schedule it in the middle of August. Apparently, in addition to giving test rides, everyone gets a free heat stroke.

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

2011 KLR, E.M. Doohickey, Progressive fork springs, Seat Concepts seat w/ firm foam, Anakee 2 tires, Z.G. Sport Touring windshield, KTM Supermoto front fender.
Notsofast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
NDTransplant

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Casa Grande, AZ
Postings: 676
NDTransplant is on a distinguished road

Nice!

Rode a 2011 Versys at AZ Bike Week last week....tried hard to like the Versys, just was not that impressed. More power, less vibes than the KLR....that much I will say.

Brakes seemed really disappointing to me. Steel-toed boot would be a worthwhile option when trying to work the shifter. Reminded me of shifting the transmission on an old farm tractor.

Maybe I got a bad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsofast71 View Post
The closest ticket to ride event to me is in Houston...7 hours away. They also thought it would be a good idea to schedule it in the middle of August. Apparently, in addition to giving test rides, everyone gets a free heat stroke.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
bubbletron
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Los Angeles
Postings: 219
bubbletron is on a distinguished road

I want to like the bike as well, but from the sounds of it, I am glad the salesman talked me out of it...his reasoning, if I was trading in a KLR, then I would outgrow the Versys 650 pretty quickly. Seems like it was a smart move... Thanks for letting me know your opinions!

- - -
1995 KLR685 : happy to be on two wheels again
2003 KLR685 :
gone with the summer winds of patagonia

adventures in: alison's wanderland : FB
bubbletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Notsofast71
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Thibodaux, LA
Postings: 1,058
Notsofast71 is on a distinguished road

My KLR is part Versys. Upon performing the presale stuff, they noticed my side stand switch was faulty. They robbed one from the Versys on the showroom floor, since it is supposedly the same part.

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

2011 KLR, E.M. Doohickey, Progressive fork springs, Seat Concepts seat w/ firm foam, Anakee 2 tires, Z.G. Sport Touring windshield, KTM Supermoto front fender.
Notsofast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
buy