SiteLock
2017 Versys-X 300 - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,204
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2017 Versys-X 300

Disappointing for what? 5"+ inches of travel and almost 7" of ground clearance with a modest 32" seat height with 19" & 17" wheels seems to be hitting a sweet spot for an all-arounder. It is not an enduro, but it sure looks like it is tough enough to go anywhere. Ground clearance is overated anyway these days. Motorcycles are way more capable than a lot of the riders on them.

More great pics at Bikes that Won the War

This bike makes a lot of sense for today. Most travel in the Eastern U.S. is limited to public roads or byways, all of which has some sort of established path. 5" of travel will help with the potholes of the inner city and washboard country lane. With a proper Uni-Track suspension, developing a custom suspension will be easy. The 41mm fork is probably very similar to a Gen II. I see a lot of customizing potential. But really, there is very little actual "off-road" available. Out west there is increasing land control and keeping to established paths. We live in a paved world with towns and people everywhere. Even in the wild outback of Mongolia, the travel films routinely show travel on established roads with the locals (always locals - everywhere) using small modest bikes and doing quite well. The key is they do not travel quickly. They travel at a sane speed and respect the terrain.

I would like to see a 650cc version though.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 ABS ADV

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #22
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

New Japan market Versys X-300 Video is up on YouTube - Shows some tame single trail use.

CLICK PLAY TO WATCH VIDEO!

Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #23
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,590
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Like all things dual sport/dual purpose/ADV it's all about compromise and everyone's wants/needs/usage are different.

For ME (and my admittedly offroad bias), 5.1/5.8" of travel is a complete deal breaker.....in fact I wouldn't even want the stock Gen2's 7.8"/7.3". I consider my 9.1" front and rear to be bare minimum especially compared to real offroad bike's 11/12" of travel. Even the big ADV bikes like the KTM Adventure R have 220mm travel front and rear.

Im sure the X will be a great little bike but I see a bike with low torque, poor ergonomics, fragile bodywork and inadequate travel and suspension. As a beginner's light ADV bike I'm sure the bike will be a sales success.....but it isn't going to replace the KLR for me as it has no advantages that I would care about (mileage, looks, low seat height?)

Just like when Kawi redid the KLR in 2008; good marketing decision but not the bike for me.....and that's fine.

2 cents,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

....and come on up to Canada: we have millions of square kilometers of off road. ;-)

That said, I'm doing the WABDR this summer.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #25
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,734
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

great pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3hrfPXho8XQ/UQQRlO6BZUI/AAAAAAAAF_E/jms11HEshOw/s1600/WLA-Jump.jpg[/IMG]

TW
too bad it was a link!!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

re-reading my posts makes me sound like I don't like this bike which isn't really the case. I don't consider it a dual purpose bike or a KLR replacement but nobody said it was intended to be such. .....and I do like the frame, wheels and rear suspension much better than my Versys 650 which I considered a good commuter bike or "all roads" bike rather than a true ADV bike.

I think the X and other lightweight "ADV/Tourers" will do quite well in the marketplace thought they will struggle a bit here with the typical North American power/displacement bias.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

This isn't the KLR replacement thread. It's not a direct replacement - I'm the first to say that. It's also not a KLR250 replacement - as again - the tires and suspension are not up to the task.

It's not a single Track capable Dual-sport.
It's not a cross-country touring machine.
It's not a track bike.

In these things it is definitely showing signs of KLR DNA.

I think this is the first bike in the Versys line-up that really lives up to the name/intent of the Versatile System concept Kawasaki is using.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #28
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

...agreed.

Dave
Old 02-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,840
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Also agree...

I don't live east, plenty of off-road terrain and I have legs long enough that seat height has never been an issue. That said I like nearly any bike (my XR100 is a ball) and just put a deposit on the Ducati Desert Sled! In White of course....Just hope it's overall size is significantly bigger than their other Scrambler models.

Last edited by Chuck B; 02-18-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I think I had more fun on an XR100 than any other bike.....

Dave
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #31
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLdrumR View Post
great pic

too bad it was a link!!
Yeah, It's a link and I posted the website I linked to so as to give credit where due. The internet is my library. Problem?
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 02-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #32
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,734
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Yeah, It's a link and I posted the website I linked to so as to give credit where due. The internet is my library. Problem?
yeah was trying to repost the pic but after posting realized was a link not a pic, hence the , dig?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #33
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

No worries, for non-klr sites I'll right click on an image at the site and copy the image address. Then using the image "mountain" icon here, I paste the link in.

I don't crosslink to KLR info on other forums, but the cross-link to pages such as "Bikes that won the war" allows me to share some cool stuff and give those sites some exposure.

Tw
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #34
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Finally some videos are appearing of the bike in the wild.

Here is what looks like a dealer demo bike getting a workout in Thailand:Test Versys X 300 Off Road

Can't seem to master the embedded video posting here....

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 02-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #35
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 956
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

TW video
He's either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52YPb...ature=youtu.be
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #36
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,253
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

My reaction is the same as Bill Murry's in Ghostbusters......."Okay, so she's a dog."

While the displacement might be right for a starter bike, the weight is disappointing. What a fatty!

<sigh>
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #37
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,076
donA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
TW video
He's either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52YPb...ature=youtu.be
At least he had his helmet on....That's how they do it in third world country's , That's normal .
donA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #38
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Cool Re: 2017 Versys-X 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
My reaction is the same as Bill Murry's in Ghostbusters......."Okay, so she's a dog."

While the displacement might be right for a starter bike, the weight is disappointing. What a fatty!

<sigh>
Compared to what? And at what cost difference?

Sure it's no KTM 500EXC, but it's not intended for that.

No fair comparing it to the elite - which I consider to be the $11K Husky 701. But it will go farther, opens riding up to more folks and sure looks easy to live with.

I think Kawi deserves credit for brining this to market for about $500 more than the 2016 XT250 MSRP, which is truly ancient technology.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #39
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,253
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

I just wish someone would produce a bike like this that wasn't so heavy.

I know it's difficult with all the demands for things like emissions, ABS, electronics, etc., and to do so at a market accepted price point. But a 300cc bike that weighs almost as much as a KLR is disappointing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by "Mitch"; 02-20-2017 at 10:05 PM.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #40
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Sure, but considering the current offerings this one is looking pretty good. Even the 250cc CSC RX3 is listed at 385lbs.

Seems the requirements to produce a street legal bike at a profit force choices such as frame design and material, modest bodywork, EFI fuel pump and CPU, along with the ABS controller and pump - all add up to a bare minimum weight. Looks like 250-300cc is the bare minimum to push that down the road. I'll bet with minimal reinforcement the same bike could support double the HP, and then it would be much more appealing.

I don't see the X 300 as a giant success in the US, but I am hopeful it sells well to the market it is intended for. I am watching this because I am ever hopeful it is an indication of a larger bike coming that will be close to what we have been hoping for: A modern incarnation of the KLR that will reverse course and provide a more off-road biased machine. The Versys 650 LT can stay, it's a great bike. Just park a Versys-X 650 Adventure next to it in the line-up. That would be interesting.

I'm not sure why those looking for a real off-road oriented bike are even bothering with anything else besides the KTM 500EXC, or 690 Enduro, or the Husky variants. the new KTM 500 EXC-F (Fuelly) is just 240lbs without fuel! That is the answer for the Western Dual Sport rider in my eyes. I know it costs $10K+, that's the price for speed, capability, and low weight.

This X 300 is an absolute toy compared to those. It may just be the machine that gets my wife back on the road. The KLR I got her was too much to quickly.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 02-21-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored links

Tags
2017, 300, Versys-X, versysx