SiteLock
16-tooth sprocket for Versys - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
willc
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: Utah
Postings: 26
willc is on a distinguished road
Default 16-tooth sprocket for Versys

Hi.

So I've seen posts on replacing the forward sprocket (which is apparently a 15-tooth stock) with a 16-tooth and I found that I could buy the 16-tooth from Dennis Kirk for about $15, which is very affordable.

But Kirk also offers a 17-tooth sprocket to fit the Versys.

If there are performance advantages to a 16-tooth, the advantages would increase even more with the a 17-tooth sprocket.

The only problem is, will a 17-tooth sprocket fit in the chamber where the 15/16-tooth sprockets fit?

Can one of you who've already seen the chamber for the forward sprocket tell me how much clearance there is when the 15-tooth is installed and then when the 16-tooth is installed so I can make a guestimate on the 17-tooth?

Thanks!!
willc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
august
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2005
Locale: cheyenne wyoming
Postings: 160
august is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 16-tooth sprocket for Versys

16 tooth is all you want to go. Even if it would fit (which it won't) a 17 would be too much of a good thing.

There just isn't room for a 17 too close to the engine case.

A 17 would be much too high geared in first gear. If you have needs that demand higher gearing. You are going to have to go to the rear sprocket .
august is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
willc
A Regular

Perfect! Thanks. I opened up the casing and it did look like there's very little space between the stock chain and the housing and guide.

You don't have any concerns at all about reducing the free space by using the 16T sprocket? Chance of overheating the metal or having something catch between the chain and the guide? There was enough grease and dirt in mine so the chain was rubbing against the crud and the bike didn't seem to object. I cleaned that out. I suspect a 16T will keep the amount of crud down as it will reduce the area in which the crud can build up.

Thought I'd made a great discovery while I was in there! The housing on the outside of the engine sprocket is called a "speed sensor" in the service manual. Aha! I thought. That's the device that's used to identify the top speed in top gear that the bike is not allowed to exceed.

So I pulled it off it's framework and tied it securely to the bike frame and took the bike out for a short spin. A very short spin, it turned out, since that unit drives the speedometer. It was amazing how quick the bike felt at zero mph! <LOL at myself>

I reassenbled everything and was able to tell about how fast I was going again. I'm getting better and better at duhhhhhhhhs.

Anyhow, thanks for the insights!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Jada DOG
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: OKC, OK
Postings: 1
Jada DOG is on a distinguished road

I looked for the 16 tooth online at Dennis Kirk, all they had was a 15 tooth for the 650 Ninja. Maybe I didn't look in the right place.
Jada DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
jaydee22
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Postings: 2
jaydee22 is on a distinguished road

Hi: Can you install the 16T to a new bike without having to add any links. Thanks
jaydee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
willc
A Regular

Hi, guys. Just got the alert that someone had posted to this message or I'd have responded sooner.

1. Yes, you can add the 16-tooth without adding links but you will have to move the rear wheel forward enough to free up the chain, pop the engine sprocket out, put the new one in, then move the wheel back to tighten up the chain. There's a LOT more to it than that, however, so if you're seriously going to replace your engine sprocket, let me know. The previous posts on this topic haven't included all of the component removals (at least, not the ones I saw) and there are some cautions. It's an easy job, but it's no 30-minute gig. I'd give myself at least an hour and maybe more if you don't do a lot of backyard mechanicing.

2. Dennis Kirk, Metric Bikes catalog, two products: one cheaper, one more expensive but it appeared to me to be higher quality and it's only a buck or so difference.

Better sprockets (I think); SunStar. Page 692 has the SunStar description. Page 693, left column, fifth entry from the bottom of the page: KLE650A Versys 08; front sprocket <that's the engine sprocket> part # 80-080. Page 694, bottom half of page under the "Sprocket Availability/Price List" heading; fifth column <about in the middle of the page>; about half way down: 80-080-16 for $14.99.

The Parts Unlimited sprocket costs $13.95 (see pages 690 and 692).

Hope that helps!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
jaydee22
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Postings: 2
jaydee22 is on a distinguished road

thanks Willc, excellent info, I will contact you before I tackle the job
jaydee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
atgatt
A Regular

Locale: Texas
Postings: 76
atgatt is on a distinguished road

I don't see a problem with the stock sprocket. At 30 mph around here I'm fine in 2nd gear.

My revs stay in the 5-6000 range for my riding.

Anyway, I'm fine how it is, stock.
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
willc
A Regular

It's a 100% personal thing, no question, so what's good for one rider will be intolerable for another. Like windshields, handlebars, riding positions, riding style, riding clothing, whether or not to wear safety gear (where laws allow a choice), use of 2-way radios, yada yada yada.

Stock is great for most things but I've found only one machine that was perfect "out of the box" and that was my 1997 Honda Magna. Didn't have to do anything to that rig but add a windshield and I've never sat a more comfortable seat. It manuevered better and was far quicker both in the take-off and on the top end than anything I'd owned/ridden before or since as well, including a BMW K1200LT (worst machine I ever had), Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, Yamaha Royal Star Venture, several Kawasaki Vulcan cruisers and Suzuki cruisers and one Honda Shadow. That was my second childhood. Before that: Hodaka, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki. I am over 200 years old, after all.....
Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
atgatt
A Regular

That's good. I hate having a problem I don't even know I have.
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #11
rpspa

Locale: San Juan Islands
Postings: 16
rpspa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
That's good. I hate having a problem I don't even know I have.
Are you sure???
rpspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
atgatt
A Regular

No, I'm not. Now I'll find myself thinking as I ride, "To tooth or not to tooth. That is the question. But why is it the question? Wasn't I happy before the question even came up? Yes. So then what's the problem? Well, maybe there is an extra % of happiness I'm missing. Isn't this silly worrying taking away from happiness. Well yes, but.... But nothing! Shut up and enjoy the ride."

Ok, my brain said to ignore the issue.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
rpspa

Locale: San Juan Islands
Postings: 16
rpspa is on a distinguished road

Is that the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth???

my head hurts......
rpspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
willc
A Regular

You guys are completely insane.

I love it!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
thevanrat
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: 10,000 Lakes
Postings: 1,587
thevanrat is on a distinguished road

Resurrecting an old thread here...

I am going to get a 16 tooth front sprocket, a fresh rear sprocket and new chain, likely from Rocky Mountain. Just got back from a maiden adventure, first trip, a thousand miles out and back, and love the bike. But at 70-75, I would like to calm it down a bit.... and in town, navigating parking lots and gas stations, it seems that first is too low for my riding style anyway, too herky-jerky.

Seems the 16T would cover this old guy's needs quite well. I am still giggling cause I got 6 gears vs. my old KLR or my other bike (admit it though, you look for "false 7th gear don't ya" ). I think we could have 21 gears like a bicycle and we would still search for "22".

So, I should order the stock chain, or what length if I know I will stick with the 16 front?

And what was stock for the back sprocket, I just don't want to tear into this and not have the right parts.

I have an air/impact wrench, that will crack the nut loose, right?

About the same as on a KLR for pulling the front-I had no issues with that.

Ps: Stock second gen. KLR mirrors are great on a VERS, they kick out so you can see around shoulders without needing extenders, plus they are near eye level, big round, they look great on the odd looking first gen VERS.

Thanks

Paul

2008 Versys

New owner of a 2008 Versys!
Previous: 2009 KLR 650 | 31,809 miles

Last edited by thevanrat; 10-13-2014 at 10:50 AM.
thevanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
swjohnsey
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2004
Postings: 8,396
swjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of light

You can get a Kawasaki 16T front sprocket for the Versys. It has the rubber damper thingy but cost a little more. I got one off ebay. I wouldn't mess with replacing the rear sprocket unless your bike has over 40k or hasn't been maintained. You can also flip it. Chain is 114 links. I have been getting D.I.D. VX2 from Amazon for about $80 but they come with clip style masterlink, another $8 or so for a rivet style masterlink.

The 16T works really well for me on my '12. It comes close to correcting speedo (68 indicated/70 actual) but throws off the odo (100 indicated/109 actual). Stock rear is 46T. If you are going to change rear you might want to go 44T instead of 16T front. Stick with good quality like Sunstar.

Last edited by swjohnsey; 10-13-2014 at 11:24 AM.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
thevanrat
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: 10,000 Lakes
Postings: 1,587
thevanrat is on a distinguished road

Thanks John, excellent/fast response. Can't beat that.

I learned that the rubber dampened Ninja 16 T that fits is part number
KP-13144-0038 13144-0038 SPROCKET-OUTPUT,16T, at PARTZILLA.

$40 bucks, I have one en route!

I just got the bike, so I will pull the chain, etc in advance and have a look and see if the rear sprocket and chain should really be replaced as well, just do it all together, etc.

I have another bike to ride in the meantime that's actually better suited for cold weather right now (Minnesota), what a joy to have two very different bikes, one for touring, and the VERS for doing almost everything, plus I am just not happy if I don't have a bike in pieces on my garage floor.

I will be on a quest for better rubber between now and spring. The bald-roundy Ninja tire not my thing.

From last week before the 1,000 mile test ride

New owner of a 2008 Versys!
Previous: 2009 KLR 650 | 31,809 miles

Last edited by thevanrat; 10-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.
thevanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
johntripwire
tripwire

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Pearl River LA. South of Spoonbooty
Postings: 1,255
johntripwire is on a distinguished road

Just saw this thread and thought "Wow. A lot of new Versys and people traffic here." Then I looked at the dates. So I figure it would be OK to half way hijack this thread with another question. For those of you that put a 16 tooth on your Versys, did it make a whine like an old school bus rear end? I put 16t Sunstar on soon after I got it and followed pretty close to the factory specs for chain adjustment, maybe looser, and got a bad whine. I ended up adjusting it as loose as my KLR and it seems OK now. But I get a lot of drive train wack putting it into gear now. I wonder now if Kawi put the rubber damper in their front sprockets to reduce this whine? Has anyone else run into this?

John
johntripwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
16tooth, sprocket, versys