SiteLock
Why call this a dual purpose - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
fixer
LEVEL 3 STAFF
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Sep 2003
Locale: Lost Wage$, NV
Postings: 13,604
fixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why call this a dual purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by John37 View Post
Perhaps it should be called a "VS" - 'Versatile Sport'!?
you sure you want to brand it with that term?

perhaps you're not familiar with the vernacular meaning??

link may be NSFW... but it means it's "comfortable being EITHER a "pitcher" or "catcher".

KLR 650: Dirt Ninja • KLR 250: the ugly duckling, undergoing rehab

√ote Libertarian!

perpetuate the KLR stereotype, visit the Deals Forum
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #22
PO-SLOKE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: SAPPHIRE,NC
Postings: 31
PO-SLOKE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
It's dual purpose because it's has a comfortable upright seating position, is meant for street and touring duty, and with better tires can handle mild forrest roads.

What he said .........

Primate , I do like the distanzia tire really well ( on someone else;s bike though ) . My " V " is intended for it's realistic " Dual Purpose " useage , Sport/Light Tour . The only gravel I inted for it to ever see is when getting down my driveway . I do have to admit though , there are times I am going down my drive that I wish it had D606's , lol .
As for off road , I have an 07 KLR farkled quite nicely for dirt/fs/light trails . I am looking for a more offroad bike as of now , but I am looking to sell off a 4 wheeler before I purchase one . After buying two brand hammer new bikes this summer and paying cash , I really need to slow down on purchasing something else until I sell off something . Wanna buy a nice 4 wheeler ? LOL

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 08-12-2008 at 08:40 AM.
PO-SLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #23
jbird0320
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Alpharetta, GA
Postings: 233
jbird0320 is on a distinguished road

Self explainatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ1CHFwR8lY&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1Ir...eature=related
jbird0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
ozyran440

Super Cool Since: Sep 2007
Locale: Alabama, USA
Postings: 18
ozyran440 is on a distinguished road

And that, folks, is why we don't rush into river crossings at high speed!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
fearthemuffin
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: Vista, CA
Postings: 32
fearthemuffin is on a distinguished road

Hahaha
That's one way to clean the pipes.
fearthemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
Deano

Super Cool Since: Apr 2005
Postings: 12
Deano is on a distinguished road

Owned both and August and Po-Sloke hit the nail on the head. If you go to Kawasaki's web site it lists the Versys under SPORT not dual purpose. Ins. people do mostly the same. Find your rideing type and pic the best for that situation. One is not better than the other. Is just what intent you pic to ride. Just like the arguement that knobby tires are better than street tires. For what intent are you going to use either in. Just buy both bikes and be done with it.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #27
swamp_donkey
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: georgia
Postings: 3,432
swamp_donkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
The first time this bike hits a water crossing it will sputter like a speedboat and stall.

Not a bad bike, but dual purpose?

EDIT: No need for owners to get upset, I'm not against the bike, I just question the classification
I think the answer is because it is a bike and not a jet ski.
Dual purpose means street/trail ,not

street / lake .

Edit >>>I dont I dont even know wher i am at.

How did I get on a versys page?

Last edited by swamp_donkey; 02-13-2009 at 08:54 PM.
swamp_donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #28
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,204
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It's dual purpose because it's has a comfortable upright seating position, is meant for street and touring duty, and with better tires can handle mild forrest roads.

That would be a STANDARD motorcycle. Upright - able to travel established roads. Any base model sportster can do the same.

For what it is, I just don't see the Versys as viable here in 'Merica for another 2 years. It disapears in the crowd. Too tall for most, and no benefit in performance for the height.

It could meld into a GS800 competitor with an engine upgrade and some new rims, but that would require frame mods and then it becomes a different bike, wouldn't it?

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 ABS ADV

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 02-15-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #29
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,660
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

It's not the same as a "standard". Look at how it's engineered.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,204
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Not that it matters, but for the sake of the post ... how is this NOT a standard? Engineering? they took a tame Ninja street model and opened the egos up a to give a classic sit up and ride fit.

17" wheels front and rear for street application.

Modest power, nothing really noteworthy - strong enough for normal riding.

It's no sport bike, it's not an adv bike with those wheels, and it's not a cruizer. Will it go just about anywhere an existing road can take you? Probably, but so can a lot of other bikes with a proper set of tires installed.

I have not ridden one, I did throw my leg over one though and it is a fine bike for the street. I just don't see it having enough character to last in the market.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 ABS ADV

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #31
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,660
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

It is not what we think of when picturing a dual sport or "enduro" bike .. certainly not like a KLR. But, it fits the category better than it does with the sport bikes. It will handle rough roads and is easily set up for light touring. "Dual Sport Touring" may be a better definition .. it is definitely a niche type bike that is deserving of its own category. All Kawasaki needs is a larger model to complement it.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #32
moto_roller

Locale: Far NE of Spoonbooty
Postings: 578
moto_roller is on a distinguished road

I just took delivery on a new, GREEN, '09 Versys, and I haven't put much mileage on it yet.

Basically, I'm more of a road/street rider, and so far this bike is just great for local use!

It'll probably do more, but it's too new to tell.

I'll say more, when I can.

:-D

GREEN '08 KLR (traded in)

GREEN '09 Versys
moto_roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #33
thy
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Spain
Postings: 3
thy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
The first time this bike hits a water crossing it will sputter like a speedboat and stall.

Not a bad bike, but dual purpose?

EDIT: No need for owners to get upset, I'm not against the bike, I just question the classification

i guess it was to sell more
the tyres set up are one of street - touring bike.
most of trail tyres are 150/50 but versys 160/60 few are avaliable in this size ... (scorpion sync ..) but not scorpion trail
btw i tough in move the tube of versys to down in seat.. but ble .. to much work spend money for nothing better spend 1.000 euro in a old trail bike is not it?
thy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #34
moto_roller

Quote:
...It will handle rough roads and is easily set up for light touring. "Dual Sport Touring" may be a better definition .. it is definitely a niche type bike that is deserving of its own category. All Kawasaki needs is a larger model to complement it.
I'm not convinced that Kawasaki could effectively duplicate the Versys in a larger model.

I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of hilly, twisty back roads, on which the Versys does very well, partly because it's not too heavy, and not too long of wheelbase. For that application, the Versys is as big as it ever should be, including plenty of power, fast reflexes, a fine suspension, great brakes, and a comfortable riding position, to boot. For the money, it's one hell of a great bike!

It also has just enough speed to handle the Interstates, although it ain't no monster. Yet, I don't see where Kawasaki could win customers over by making a larger, Interstate capable version of the Versys. There's already many, very capable Interstate bikes available on the market.

It can also handle moderate, dry gravel roads, but don't push it too much, as there's a definite limit as to what's available for appropriate tires, and even a little bit of mud could all too quickly plug its radiator.

All in all, I've simply gotta give the Versys a high grade, one of the nicest motorcycles I've ever owned, and that's saying something.

GREEN '09 Versys

Last edited by moto_roller; 05-05-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #35
gharr8
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: TX
Postings: 73
gharr8 is on a distinguished road

hey motto roller,

i'm curios, if you don't mind. The twisty roads in your area, are they paved or gravel.

I can take my 08 Versys on the paved twisties, but I not too happy using the bike as an off road type , with gravel and ruts.

Your thoughts??

GH
gharr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
moto_roller

@ gharr8

Nearly all of the roads I use the Versys on are paved.

It'll handle smooth, dry gravel roads OK, but I wouldn't push it too hard. The suspension is considerably stiffer than you'd want it to be for use on a dirt road, and the stock tires are about the last thing you'd want for any kind of mud. The real limit is in the available tire choices for wide 17"s front and rear, a good road selection, but near nothing for dirt, and then you'd need to be concerned about the clearance of the front fender, which is close to the tire. And, the short little front fender allows dirt/mud/pebbles to throw off of the front tire and straight into the radiator, not good.

Certainly, it's not a bike for ride off road use.

I got it for on road use, and there it works really well.

GREEN '09 Versys
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
gharr8
A Regular

i agree. just wanted to know. i'd be impressed with anyone that can/does ride in the boonies.

great road bike. i love riding mine. lotta bike for the buck, i say. had to re-do the seat, though, if you might have seen previous posts i've submitted
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #38
gharr8
A Regular

dual purpose: some thoughts

1.. you can ride it down the road, and then back!!!!

2..you can ride it drunk or sober!!!

3.. you can ride it while your single and then after you're married..(ok, maybe not)
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
toolman
A Regular

Locale: ohio
Postings: 108
toolman is on a distinguished road

The KLR 650 is good 50/50 dualsport if you use good 50/50 tires. It's way better off road than the big twins, and way better on the street than the enduro-type bikes. When the KLR 1rst came out, I laughed at it...but now that I've matured, I'm willing to live with it's limitations. However, the newer ones would not suit me because of the extra 35 lbs and loss of 5 hp. Wait a minute, is this post about the Versys ? Of course it's not a dualsport...but maybe when I "mature" some more, I might change my mind...lol

Last edited by toolman; 05-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
moto_roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharr8 View Post
...i'd be impressed with anyone that can/does ride in the boonies...
Over the past year or so I've seen some threads here on KLR650.net, where there's been a fair amount of interest in putting a Versys engine into a KLR frame. Apparently a number of such projects have been started, but I'm not aware of any being completed. However, if it could be done, it would make for one really HOT KLR, about 60 horsepower at the rear wheel, and a six speed tranny, wow!

As a road bike, the Versys is one of the all around best I've ever owned.

GREEN '09 Versys
Sponsored links

Tags
call, dual, purpose