SiteLock
The next 1k miles (first 500 done) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 07-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
K33
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: Bahstahn
Postings: 178
K33 is on a distinguished road
Default The next 1k miles (first 500 done)

Well it's July, and I've had the KiLleR650 for almost a year (but half of that was a sedentary winter, snowed-in inside the shed/garage. (the bike, not me.)

The first 500 miles are behind me, and damn, they were fun.
https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132474
It felt like holding on to a rollercoaster!

Well I have been on the bike 5 times this year. Several commutes to work, and a trip through 4 of the local towns down here near "New England Patriots Headquarters".

But, this weekend, I spent most of it on the bike - I had a 200 mile weekend.

I found some wonderful back roads, and I am starting to develop a mental roadmap of how the towns are connected.

So, if you are local, I have now traveled from Milton to Taunton, Bellingham to Whitman. And it has been so much more interactive than just looking out from a window and a seat-belt.

And I serendipitously found my new favorite road. Never been on it before, even though I have heard of it regularly. It starts less than a mile from my new place! It connects two towns, and to keep people off of it, the middle section is unpaved. Nuttin' but packed crush. (Sorry, guv, but that is going to keep me ON it!)

Seriously, I am going to start leaving early for work, just so I can ride the wrong direction for the first 12 minutes!

So to recap - 5 rides this year, and the Klarsafitty feels comfortable. It feels SMALLER, by 35 percent-ishness. Not feeling like a lumbering behemoth, with me just along for the 'drag', makes for more enjoyable riding.

I am not only starting to feel the limitations others mention in internetland... but, for now, I am happy with its performance... I find myself slowing the bike down to meet the speed limits.

OK, so it is still not a car - the view is better than any video game I have *ever* played, thank god I don't have a need for speed, yet. The 360 panoramic view from the throttle is STILL a Ralph Waldo Emerson immersion project!

I still dont feel comfortable leaning the bike way over yet. I still dont trust the tires. BUT, AT LEAST I FINALLY *CHECKED* THEM!

The front was at 11 psi. No wonder I never trusted the damn thing when I leaned. It felt sketchy at best, but I had no previous data. It's now in the mid 30's, and damn it even makes the SHOCKS feel better!

End of babbling will be soon, what a fantastic sunny, warm, perfect riding weekend. Nothing but tree-covered back roads, farmland, and stretches of 2ndary highways that i could BRAP-P-P it up to 50-55 or so, just to make sure my helmet was on properly.

Also, I bought a cotton, military-ish, "tankers bag".
Its about 10" square, and 16" long. It is a PERFECT "trunk bag". If I go buy a bunch of stuff, and all of it does not fit in the BAG, then it will not fit in the TRUNK! A perfect solution. (It is from rothco, if it matters to you. 14 bucks or so. Did I MENTION that the entire trunk now goes WITH me in less than 7 seconds?!
-</SOLVED>-

I wish that I could write more, but its 4:15, and I am SURE that there is something that a store has ... WA-A-A-AYY over THERE... that I need. Or at least I *might*, when I get there. So, really I should go for a ride, just to make sure that I DON'T need it - otherwise how could I SLEEP tonight? I am also truly convinced that it is on the other side of my new favorite, Mountain Road! (How lucky!)

Later!

-K33
K33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
K33
A Regular

Default Re: The next 1k miles (first 500 done)

I guess that riding the bike has become a more standard part of my fun time.
I don't need to log every little thing anymore.

Although this weekend is the first time I've ridden in below freezing weather.
It was still a lot of fun, just more layers - I'm going to make a thermal chin strap pad if I do this regularly... that one exposed spot became quite noticeable.

This winter will be my first real 'wrenching' experience. Several projects already lined up.

ODO is at 7300.
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,692
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

Steve-o you need a balaclava and maybe a heated vest.

(EXO2...low draw...)

Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
K33
A Regular

yeah, i have a couple 'clavas, but it was only ONE tiny little spot.

I guess i could just grow the beard longer! Stev-o-CLAVA!!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
Grizzly4dams
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2017
Locale: Missouri
Postings: 1
Grizzly4dams is on a distinguished road

My beard is below my helmet and my chin STILL gets cold. I put a sock hat between my chin and helmet when its real cold.
Grizzly4dams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
500, back roads, important, miles, newb, next 1k odo, psi, trunk liner