SiteLock
Progressive shock with a straight rate spring? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
MatBirch
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Whatcom County Washington
Postings: 37
MatBirch is on a distinguished road
Default Progressive shock with a straight rate spring?

Progressive has made their place in the market with the “progressive” theory. I outweigh the theory. I have a spring on my stocker that is correct for me. I see used Progressive units come up for sale often at pretty good prices. Do they really have some super secret internals that would prevent them from working well with a stiff straight rate spring? It should be good improvement over the stocker...

Thanks!
MatBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
R/L

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: SW Michigan
Postings: 813
R/L is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Progressive shock with a straight rate spring?

Nothing super secret about a Progressive brand shock. They are built to a price point to service an average range of rider weights.

Progressives spec sheet (down loadable off their site) shows the 465 series shock for the KLR as having a rate of 500/560 lbs/inch. I'm guessing that is a progressive rate vice dual rate.

As long as any shock is valved appropriately for the rate of spring, it will work. So, if your spring is the correct length and has a rate within the valving of the Progressive shock, it should work.

I think you need to get a hold of Progressive and ask them if the shock you are considering is valved appropriately for your spring and your wieght.
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
R/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,400
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Progressive shock with a straight rate spring?

There is "progressive" the spring and "Progressive" the brand. Not all progressive springs are made by Progressive and not all springs used by Progressive are progressive springs.

I agree with R/L thoguh I'm not sure that Progressive shocks like the 465 actually use a progressive spring, but no, there is no magic inside that would preclude them from being used with a stiffer straight rate spring.

Your plan would work, though a stiffer spring than the shock is designed for can cause "pogo-ing" due to inadequate damping......yes, still better than stock though. Not as good as a good shock (ie. a Cogent Moab) with the springrate and damping set up for you.

Cheers,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
progressive, rate, shock, spring, straight