SiteLock
Help in Georgia (the country) - fabricate rear sprocket - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
riomas
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Locale: Ohio
Postings: 4
riomas is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help in Georgia (the country) - fabricate rear sprocket

Hello and firstly thank you to this amazing fourim. It has helped me so much. My brother, cousin and I are in a round the world trip with gen 2s. Bikes holding up fine after about 10000 miles of tough Asian roads and no roads.

My cousin had his chain come apart and it wrapped itself around the rear sprocket and broke all the teeth off. No one here in Tbilisi has a rear sprocket that will fit. We are thinking to try to have one machined and then hardened.

Anyone see any problems with this idea? Or have advice or maybe even cad drawing?

The sprocket needs to last roughly 2000 miles until our resupply point in Italy where we have new chains and sprockets and lots of other goodies waiting for us. It's been a crazy few days, turkey won't issue visas to US citizens we had to change our whole route and book a ferry to Ukraine that leaves tomorrow and then the chain and sprocket go out, re book ferry try to organize shipping from home. Ugh when it rains it pours. Oh well it's an adventure.

Thanks for any help. Check us out on instagram if you want - Destination_south
Mario
riomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
K33
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: Bahstahn
Postings: 140
K33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help in Georgia (the country) - fabricate rear sprocket

I'm sure that we are ALL wishing you guys the best of luck.

I'm new at all of this, but tonight I will try to get some specs on the rear sprocket for you.

I will also look up if there is an asian equivialent you could use temporarily (assuming you put a second one in your travel bags, for insurance).

Even if it is a tooth off, it would be good info to have.

Best of Luck!
K33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
riomas
Occasional Poster

Thanks man. Appreciate it!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
MatBirch
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Whatcom County Washington
Postings: 29
MatBirch is on a distinguished road

What about drilling a sprocket for a different bike. even if the existing holes had to be welded up first, it seems much more straightforward
MatBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 884
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

KLR sprocket dimensions here
jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/1231

Dyno chart:LINK TO DYNO CHART

Last edited by Bell driver; 10-11-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,317
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatBirch View Post
What about drilling a sprocket for a different bike. even if the existing holes had to be welded up first, it seems much more straightforward
Yep; that seems 100X easier than building one from scratch. I'd imagine you'd be able to rotate the sprocket and drill new holes between the original ones. Obviously it'd need to be for the same size chain as the front sprocket.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 9,303
jeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the rough

If this project was in my shop I would find a sprocket with the correct tooth count and pitch (520). If I couldn't drill it to match the KLR sprocket carrier I would probably cut a hole in the new sprocket and reduce the diameter of the old KLR sprocket so they were a press fit. I'd then weld the two together.

Using dowels in the sprocket teeth/gaps is probably the easiest way to hold the new sprocket in a chuck so the inside could be bored to the correct size. Do make sure to indicate the inside of the sprocket to make sure it is true before making any cuts.

Goog luck,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

"If you don't have a time table you can't be late. When you don't have a destination you can't get lost." Colin Stafford-Johnson, Ireland's Wild Coast
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 AM   #8
riomas
Occasional Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Trying to find sprockets with the same middle diameter so we can drill new mounting holes. If not I like Jeffs idea. We may still elect to have one shipped. A friend works for DHL and it's possible it will be cheap (fed ex wants 500 dollars, USPS is 70 but 10 day delivery)

Anyways, I will let you all know what we do. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
K33
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: Bahstahn
Postings: 140
K33 is on a distinguished road

good luck!

if time and shipping charges are sooo rediculous, think through all the spare parts you are carrying, and order anything else to supplement it. might as well only ship ONCE!
K33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
riomas
Occasional Poster

Hey all,

We had a new sprocket fabricated and laser cut. Between the broken one, online info and my dad back home measuring a new part the guy was able to draw it up in CAD pretty quick and get it cut. A cool process! Total cost 20 dollars. Gone about 250 miles on it so far and it looks good. We have been stoping every 50 miles to lubricate it, probably overkill but who cares haha. The actually made us two, so we have a spare if this one starts to wear quickly. My cousin is driving a little softer, not accelerating too hard and getting up the gears fast to lower the torque on it. But so far it's working great

Thanks for the tips and replies. In a while I will write a post detailing all the work we did to get the bikes RTW ready and our results. Hopefully it can help some people in the future.
Sponsored links

Tags
country, fabricate, georgia, rear, sprocket