SiteLock
Yellowknife; just wondering... - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Canada Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
wider rider
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: delta, b.c. canada
Postings: 1,199
wider rider is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowknife; just wondering...

...about the roads. Can anyone tell me anything about the trip in to Yellowknife, and is there any interesting rides around there. I watched a t.v. program the other day, and thought, why not? It looks like there's lots of places to camp and fish around there, too. Is there a best month (in the summer, please, to visit?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me. w.r.
wider rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
highwayhawk
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2008
Locale: prince george bc canada
Postings: 26
highwayhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yellowknife; just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wider rider View Post
...about the roads. Can anyone tell me anything about the trip in to Yellowknife, and is there any interesting rides around there. I watched a t.v. program the other day, and thought, why not? It looks like there's lots of places to camp and fish around there, too. Is there a best month (in the summer, please, to visit?

was there last year on the KLR... PM'd
highwayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
wider rider
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayhawk View Post
was there last year on the KLR... PM'd

Got your PM, Highwayhawk, just haven't got around to calling yet. I appreciate the offer, and will call you soon. Kerry w.r.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Nowhereman
A Regular

Locale: Thunder Bay
Postings: 90
Nowhereman is on a distinguished road

The roads are very good most of the way there. Really fast too. When I was last there three years ago They were about to pave the remaining dirt section. Make sure the Ferry is running. You'll have to cross the great Mackenzie. Watch out for Bison.
Nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
KLRKTMGUY
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Chase BC
Postings: 2,029
KLRKTMGUY is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you want to join us we are going there late summer.

I am leaving kamloops on Aug 28th. Meeting people on my way up north.
Last rider is joining us in Chetwynd.
We are riding trails and roads from Ft. Simpson to Tuktoyaktuk, then back to Yellowknife. Then head east and eventually end up in Churchill.
Due to work needs I will be heading home via roads from there....A few are continueing the adventure east, and then south. And heading back more across the southern part of Canada with a dip into the the USA for a day or so.

If interested in coming along let me know.
You could crash overnight at my house on the 27th as we are leaving about 6 am on the 28th, and are going all the way to likely on day 1, and our rout is a route i have now done 3 times, it will test you and let you decide if you want to go further.
Day 1 has about 50 kms of paved roads, and about 150 kms of gravel roads, and about 300 kms of trails, rocks, creeks to cross, a mountain to get over, and enough brutal terrain to make some men cry.
You are required to carry your own gear, and extra gas is not optional, the stints from gas station to gas staion in a few places is about 150 kms more than my bike can make on a tank.
Day 1 only requires a little extra gas, as I run out of gas about 60 or 70 kms short of the gas station in horsefly.....then its easy from horsefly to likely.
Day 2 you will not see paved roads for the first 6 hours, then its a blast of HWY riding into PG. Get gas and more food, and pipleine riding from PG to the pinepass....Then pavement blasting up HWY 97 north from about Azu into chetwynd. That will be the 2 longest and worst days of the trip and allow you to decide if you plan to go home or continue.
We have a guy going back south on roads only from Chetwynd as he cannot get the time off work, so you could join him if you choose to.

We are a group of 7 guys, and 1 lady....Maybe more to join us before we leave.
I suggest brand new TKC 80 tires before you leave, and am having a spare set sent ahead of me, and to be waiting for me at my friends place in Colville.
You may wish to do the same, as so far everyone going is shipping tires to his house.
He also has a full shop and tools there we can use.....We will stay there 2 days, to rest and repair bikes as needed.
I am leading the ride as far as Churchill, then Diane is leading after that.

consider yourself invited.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
wider rider
KLR Enthusiast

Wow! KKGUY; That sounds like one great trip. I'd like to keep it in mind, many factors will determine its viability this year. At best, it'd be great to join with you for the legs to Yellowknife, and maybe to Tukt. The maps I,ve seen don't show any roads/trails north of Wrigley - haven't checked Google yet. Just how adventurous will that be?

Is there any land connection from Tukt. to Inuvik? I wouldn't mind combining a return via the Dempster if possible. (I've only heard of flying from Inuvik to Tukt., except in January - and neither of those are on!)

I wonder just how rugged the route from Kamloops north will be. Last year I took the FSRs from Wells to Likely, including trying to get over Yanks Peak (aborted due to unsure directions, although conditions were getting to be kind of worrisome to this solo traveller.) The rest of the route was O.K. to me, and the bike was carrying a 3 week camping inventory. Any idea how that experience would stack up by comparison?

Anyway, thanks for the invite; hope I'm able and available to participate with you. BTW, What other bikes are involved?

w.r.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
KLRKTMGUY
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow! KKGUY; That sounds like one great trip. I'd like to keep it in mind, many factors will determine its viability this year. At best, it'd be great to join with you for the legs to Yellowknife, and maybe to Tukt. The maps I,ve seen don't show any roads/trails north of Wrigley - haven't checked Google yet. Just how adventurous will that be?

Is there any land connection from Tukt. to Inuvik? I wouldn't mind combining a return via the Dempster if possible. (I've only heard of flying from Inuvik to Tukt., except in January - and neither of those are on!)

I wonder just how rugged the route from Kamloops north will be. Last year I took the FSRs from Wells to Likely, including trying to get over Yanks Peak (aborted due to unsure directions, although conditions were getting to be kind of worrisome to this solo traveller.) The rest of the route was O.K. to me, and the bike was carrying a 3 week camping inventory. Any idea how that experience would stack up by comparison?

Anyway, thanks for the invite; hope I'm able and available to participate with you. BTW, What other bikes are involved?

w.r.
There is a trail to tuk, that is apparently only passable in late summer, hence the trips timing.
We are going with a guy that has done it twice before, both ways.

You are welcome to come on as much, or little as possible.

Yes the route even from likely to PG is backroads and trails.
I have done that one a few times myself.
I am carrying a saw for any trees down that are too big to cross.
We did a HUGE trip last summer and it was great.
We are just going a bit more east this year, as last years ended up going from the Liard hot springs and back and forth to in no real pattrn, to Atlin, and finally into Alaska, and back south through the lava fields and such to terrace.

Then just 4 of us went back north and eventually got over into Inuvik, where we met a cool guy thats this year leading us into Tuk.

Fuel is mandatory to carry even on the KLR.I have 2 special cans and holders I made for my bike, each holds 8.5 litres....That and riding at a nice cruise speed, not my usual wrist cranked hard mode, should be good to get me that last leg in.
We can buy fuel at the airstrip, i have already called and made arrangements with them....I guess the KLR will be burning some 100 LL Avgas.

We have a guy that is tenting alone, you could likely get a spot in his tent.
I suggest carrying a gun, but your choice.
I travel armed, as I would rather be able to shoot a deer if need be or whatever, than starve to death if we get lost or something.

By the way yes I have GPS and sat phone, but sat phones are all but useless I have found, as when we needed it badly last year, it never worked.
We had a guy basically total his bike on the trip, and he wanted to hire a chopper to get him out....Instead he walked a couple days, as we coulld not double him due to gear and the insane terrain.
But its your choice what you bring, as so far every rider commited to going will have both a GPS and rifle along, so we will not be short of either.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road

WOW!!!
This sounds like a great adventure...something I would love to be able to do.....but..being too old and decrepid, not to mention my lack of off road skills stop me from joining in..Damn!! 10 years ago I would be all over this!
I've been to Churchill once before...flew in ...yep..cheated! lol

Fantastic trip....please keep us informed on how it went and if possible please do a trip report when you return...ya lucky dogs!

Enjoy!
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
KLRKTMGUY
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
WOW!!!
This sounds like a great adventure...something I would love to be able to do.....but..being too old and decrepid, not to mention my lack of off road skills stop me from joining in..Damn!! 10 years ago I would be all over this!
I've been to Churchill once before...flew in ...yep..cheated! lol

Fantastic trip....please keep us informed on how it went and if possible please do a trip report when you return...ya lucky dogs!

Enjoy!
You are welcomed to come join us, when you have had enough, you can leave.
One is never too old for new things.

I am turning 40 this year, and for the first time in my life racing in the Baja 500 June....Will I finish, I hope so.
Will I be quick, and running up front, I doubt it.

I just want to go and try it, I like riding in Baja, so its time to race it now....lol
Old 08-14-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
wider rider
KLR Enthusiast

Hey, KLR/KTM Guy; How are your plans for this trip going, guess you're down to the last few days now. Still on? I'm afraid I'll have to armchair this one, but I do appreciate the invite. I hope you'll have a Report and some Pictures to share.
BTW, I was through the southern stretches of the Alcan last week, with temps in the high 20's. I see the overnight temp in Fort Nelson last night was 2 deg. Take your woolies!
Best of luck to all on the journey, wish i could have managed it. w.r.
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Eclipse
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2007
Locale: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Postings: 169
Eclipse is on a distinguished road

How are you getting to Churchill?

There is a 300km rail line from Gillam, and that's it.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Eclipse
A Regular

What's your route from Chetwynd onwards?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
KLRKTMGUY
KLR Enthusiast

Plans are going well everyone.

The trip is still on for sure, and anyone up to an adventure is welcome to join us.

I have been very busy as of late, and not online much, sorry.

From Chetwynd we plan to go to Hudson hope for the dam tour, then onto Ft. St. Joh, and up thru Fort Nelson.

And into Churchill is actually easy, as there is a very open trail still the military made in the 1970's and the rail line to follow.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Eclipse
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRKTMGUY View Post
And into Churchill is actually easy, as there is a very open trail still the military made in the 1970's and the rail line to follow.
If you're referring to the open trail that follows the rail line just to the west (about 100ft over), this is apparently nothing but swampy muskeg that will swallow up to your hips.

Four guys tried this run last summer riding between the tracks on the rail bed but had to turn back after 100km when one of their KLRs shook apart.

If you guys are really going to give that a try, let me know. I would seriously like to tag along for that leg as it's something I've been dreaming about doing for the past several years.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Eclipse
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRKTMGUY View Post
The trip is still on for sure, and anyone up to an adventure is welcome to join us.
Just sent you a PM...
Old 08-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
KLRKTMGUY
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Just sent you a PM...
Replied.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #17
wider rider
KLR Enthusiast

[quote=KLRKTMGUY;764848]Plans are going well everyone.

KLRKTMGUY; I've seen some posts from you lately, but no mention (that I've seen) about the Great Northern Adventure. Is there a trip report coming? How about a few teasers to keep us salivating? w.r.
Sponsored links

Tags
wondering, yellowknife