SiteLock
Tank Guards - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Canada Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
dbrewerton

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Calgary, AB
Postings: 613
dbrewerton is on a distinguished road
Default Tank Guards

https://www.dualsportplus.com/klr650/...ine_Guard.html

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these tank guards. I'm still deciding which ones to get and I'm comparing SW Motech and Happy Trails as well. There seem to be pros and cons to both systems so I wanted an opinion on these. My bike is an '09. I'll be replacing the skid plate and adding a double/center stand as well so that may be a consideration.
'09 KLR-650 Blue (Blue KLR Club #98)
'08 Honda CBF-1000A8
'08 Ninja 250 (daughters)
'09 Yamaha BW50 scooter (other daughters)

'08 Suzuki DRZ-125L (Sold)
'02 Yamaha TTR-125L (Big Bore 150)(Sold)
'83 Honda Shadow VT500C (Sold)(Wonderful bike)
'71 Honda CT90 (Sold)
dbrewerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
DaveC

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Ottawa, ON Canada
Postings: 516
DaveC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tank Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewerton View Post
https://www.dualsportplus.com/klr650/...ine_Guard.html

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these tank guards. I'm still deciding which ones to get and I'm comparing SW Motech and Happy Trails as well. There seem to be pros and cons to both systems so I wanted an opinion on these. My bike is an '09. I'll be replacing the skid plate and adding a double/center stand as well so that may be a consideration.
I haven't used them, so I don't know how well they work. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

They appear to be the same as the ones from {name_of_bike}.com (same part #'s, etc), which is a censored site on this board. From all of the discussions here over the years, my understanding is that they are a copy of the Happy Trail bars. It's up to you if that would influence your decision or not.

If you are looking at getting a skid plate anyways, Happy-Trail has a special on the 2008+ guards + skid plate for $299, which is in the same ball-park as the guard/skid plate combo from DualSport Plus. As the US/CDN $ are roughly the same, the main difference there would be shipping.

Another option would be the Kappa Guards sold by A Vicious Cycle.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Frogrider
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Sep 2008
Locale: The Backwoods of Georgia
Postings: 1,803
Frogrider is on a distinguished road

I can only speak for the Motechs. I have dropped my bike on both
sides and once on pavement with no damage to the bike. Only a
few small scratches on the right Motech. They are STRONG!

3 KAWS in the Barn!!!
1999 KLR 250 - Teal?
2008 KLR 650 - Green
2001 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours - Black
"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller
Frogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
dbrewerton

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Calgary, AB
Postings: 613
dbrewerton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogrider View Post
I can only speak for the Motechs. I have dropped my bike on both
sides and once on pavement with no damage to the bike. Only a
few small scratches on the right Motech. They are STRONG!

The Motechs do appear to be a bit heavier gauge than the HT bars. I think that AVicious is one of the few places to buy Motech in Canada. The only one in Calgary no longer carries Motech items. I called them last week. The one place in Calgary that carries HT items doesn't usually have them in stock but orders them in. I can do that as fast as they can. I'm thinking of buying in Canada if I can, both to support Canadian businesses as well as to simply deal in one currency and the Customs, etc have already been taken care of. If I can't find them here, I'll order direct...

As for the ones I started out with on this thread, if they're a copy of HT, and I later noticed that they only list them at for the 07 or earlier KLR's, and if they're banned from this list and that usually only happens because of poor quality and or service, then I certainly wouldn't buy them. So much for that idea. I looked at Dual Sport Plus' web site, but their prices seem consistently higher than AVicious for the same items. It's nice to have a second option to buy from, but it was usually about an 8-10% price difference.
'09 KLR-650 Blue (Blue KLR Club #98)
'08 Honda CBF-1000A8
'08 Ninja 250 (daughters)
'09 Yamaha BW50 scooter (other daughters)

'08 Suzuki DRZ-125L (Sold)
'02 Yamaha TTR-125L (Big Bore 150)(Sold)
'83 Honda Shadow VT500C (Sold)(Wonderful bike)
'71 Honda CT90 (Sold)
dbrewerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
guards, tank