SiteLock
Help..Carb problems again, still - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Canada Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Rod Baird
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Salmon Arm BC
Postings: 4
Rod Baird is on a distinguished road
Default Help..Carb problems again, still

Hi,I am very new to this site and am running out of options. I have a 05 KLR 650 that has had the carb cleaned (dirty fuel) and have since returned the bike to the shop for the 4th time. The main problem is that, when giving er up the mountain, (not a high altitude mind you) within 5 km I will get..fuel starvation??? I will have the lower throttle but no higher end. I have a clear filter that maintains a visible fuel level, (it has been removed and still has no high end) The carb has been cleaned out on 2 other occasions.. so there it is.. I am starting to pay for a corner of the bike shop I go to and its getting to be annoying..The heat level does not exceed past the mid end of the guage, and the valves were adjusted around 800 km. I now have 19000km on the guage and cant trust the bike for a ride in excess of 20 k. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks..Rod
Rod Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
XDragRacer
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2007
Postings: 4,351
XDragRacer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help..Carb problems again, still

Not much to go on, but . . . if you're certain you suffer from "fuel starvation," could be a petcock-related problem, I'd think, or . . . some obstruction to fuel flow (cllogged screen in tank, stopped-up carb elbow or other fitting, etc.); does the RESERVE position of the petcock lever relieve the situation any?

Could be clogged main or needle jet . . .

Even could be diaphragm air leak (torn or perforated diaphragm material, improper seal), from your symptoms . . .

Carb's pretty simple and rather well-known (even used on some Harleys); if you or your current "factory-trained technicians" can't sort things out, you might consult other for second (or third or fourth, etc.) opinions.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
KLR_furball
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 978
KLR_furball is on a distinguished road

You should probably read this thread:

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...l+cap+vent+fix

My Shim Calculator

KLR_furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Swampwhore
All Farked Up

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: The Wet Spot
Postings: 1,282
Swampwhore is on a distinguished road

Disconnect the fuel line from the petcock. With petcock on it should not flow. Then, apply vacuum with a mityvac or such. Fuel should flow. Also, vacuum should hold. I went through this on my harley and KLR. The petcock would not hold vacuum. When the engine is under a load the vacuum decreases, further restricting flow. Manual petcocks (no vacuum) fixed both bikes. Just remember to cap the port on the carb. I used a Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock. Direct bolt on.

Other bikes - yes.
Swampwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Rod Baird
Occasional Poster

Thanks I have had clogged jets, checked the diafram, checked the vacume line to the petcock, etc etc but I was wondering if it could be Valves or somthing other than the carb?? if not Im thinking of a new carb..Thanks for your reply

Rod
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
KLR_furball
KLR Enthusiast

Gas cap vent?

My Shim Calculator

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
DaveC

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Ottawa, ON Canada
Postings: 516
DaveC is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity, how clean is the air filter? Perhaps it's not getting enough air?

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Rod Baird
Occasional Poster

the air filter had 2 runs in it since last cleaning still good to go but thanks anyway

Rod
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Rod Baird
Occasional Poster

I was asked that just a few days ago but there was no "suction" when I opened it (or the sound of air being sucked in) after running so ..who knows. The tech is checking everything again so... Thanks

Rod
Old 04-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #10
KLR_furball
KLR Enthusiast

How full was the tank when you opened it to listen for air sucking in? A nearly full tank may equalize before you get stopped and open up the cap if the vent is only somewhat blocked. a half full or less tank would have more void and may be a better indicator if the vent is actually a problem or not.

My Shim Calculator

Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
rodzilla
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Paris.Ont. Canada
Postings: 72
rodzilla is on a distinguished road

My 06 had same problem.Started shortly after playing in mud ,turned out mud had worked its way into fuel cap partly clogging vent.As a mechanic i have long ago learned to look for the simple things first ,its usually the problem.Hope this helps.
rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
helpcarb, problems