SiteLock
Front Master Cylinder Window CRACKED - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
dimension4

Super Cool Since: May 2014
Locale: Tahoe
Postings: 15
dimension4 is on a distinguished road
Default Front Master Cylinder Window CRACKED

hey guys my front brake master cylinder window is cracked and leaking some fluid. any tips where i can find a new window without buying the whole master cylinder? there's some youtubes on replacing the window on random bikes but any tips there would be good too.
dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
pdwestman
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2009
Locale: Lander,WY
Postings: 1,299
pdwestman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Front Master Cylinder Window CRACKED

I do not know of any replacement windows for any front master cylinders on any bike!

My only suggestion is to clean the window and metal band around it. Then using J-B Weld or other 2 part epoxy glue to cover and seal the leaky window.
My 1987 is gonna' need it in the near future I am sure.
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 306
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Front Master Cylinder Window CRACKED

clean very very good. use stupper glue. the thin stuff.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough

cheapest option will be to repair it. I'd use clear epoxy. Clean the glass really well before applying.

A used master cylinder should be less than $50 shipped.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 9,363
jeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the rough

Last week I had to remove a window from a rear brake master cylinder for an owner requested modification. It wasn't a KLR. On that master cylinder the sight glass was made from a plastic like material. It had a steel band around it and was a very tight press fit into the master cylinder body. There was an o-ring for the inside band to master cylinder body seal. It was a bugger to remove and I finally had to drill a hole in the sight glass portion and insert a large sheet metal screw and then pry the glass out with a claw hammer. Once the clear portion was out the steel band was pretty easy to pry out.

I talked with the owner of the shop that had the job and he has never replaced a sight glass on a master cylinder and also didn't know of any source for a replacement sight glass.

I don't know how I'd fix a cracked sight glass. Maybe I would remove it and then plug the hole. For checking brake fluid level all it would take is to remove the cover and look inside. That is how brake fluid levels were checked for many years on cars and trucks.

Best,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

"If you don't have a time table you can't be late. When you don't have a destination you can't get lost." Colin Stafford-Johnson, Ireland's Wild Coast
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,482
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Yep; I wouldn't bother trying to patch it up: replace the MC or I would consider removing the window and replacing with a metal cap the same size.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
cracked, cylinder, front, master, window