SiteLock
lowering the front forks - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
tomterrific
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2017
Locale: New Mexico
Postings: 62
tomterrific is on a distinguished road
Default lowering the front forks

I've searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been solved before. I put a 2" lowering link on the rear of my KLR and I want to lower the front by sliding the forks up through the triple-tree. I have all 8 bolts loosened (four on each side, two top and two bottom) but the forks don't slide up. I can't seem to do anything to get them to move. I know a lot of other people have done this in the past, but I need to know the trick to get them to slide up. I've tried it with the front wheel on the ground and with is suspended on a jack. No dice. Something simple I missed?
tomterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
azklrian

Super Cool Since: Dec 2012
Locale: AZ/AB
Postings: 462
azklrian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: lowering the front forks

Loosen the clamps on the rubber boots so they can slide down the fork tube. This has happened before, often.
azklrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
tomterrific
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azklrian View Post
Loosen the clamps on the rubber boots so they can slide down the fork tube. This has happened before, often.
ha ha ha.... Thanks for the reply, but I was out in the garage doing just that! I got to studying it more closely and decided those boots MIGHT be holding it up. At first I thought the boots were held in place by a zip-tie, then I realized it was aluminum and had a screw in it in the most inaccessible place. I had to take the fender off to get at the screws (then I turned them around so they were on the outside so I'll have access to them in the future without taking the fender off). But first I re-tightened the top bolts so I wouldn't have a run-away. Then I lowered the boots 2", same as I lowered the rear suspension, then I loosened the top bolts and let it slide, what I thought would be, to the boots, but it didn't go that far. It seems the tubes hit the handlebars when raised 1 3/8", so that's the max I could go. I tightened everything back down, re-installed the fender and moved the boots up to the lower triple tree and every is copacetic now.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
jdanielc
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2016
Locale: Kentucky
Postings: 3
jdanielc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterrific View Post
ha ha ha.... Thanks for the reply, but I was out in the garage doing just that! I got to studying it more closely and decided those boots MIGHT be holding it up. At first I thought the boots were held in place by a zip-tie, then I realized it was aluminum and had a screw in it in the most inaccessible place. I had to take the fender off to get at the screws (then I turned them around so they were on the outside so I'll have access to them in the future without taking the fender off). But first I re-tightened the top bolts so I wouldn't have a run-away. Then I lowered the boots 2", same as I lowered the rear suspension, then I loosened the top bolts and let it slide, what I thought would be, to the boots, but it didn't go that far. It seems the tubes hit the handlebars when raised 1 3/8", so that's the max I could go. I tightened everything back down, re-installed the fender and moved the boots up to the lower triple tree and every is copacetic now.
Eagle Mike has some short risers that work great for keeping the fork tubes away from the handlebars when lowering this way. You will not want to slide forks up more than one and one half inches though as your tire will be very close to hitting the fender bolt heads with the suspension bottomed out. I have a 30 inch inseam and am 175 lbs... Apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but, if lowering this way, the hard parts are closer to the ground, which is fine as it's much like a heavier rider at stock height. However, your hard parts will be closer to the ground with the suspension bottomed than a stock suspension would allow. This could cause problems, especially off road. When you've determined your ideal ride height you might consider calling Cogent and having a lowered suspension made. This way your hard parts will have the same ground clearance as a stock bike when the suspension is bottomed.
jdanielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
tomterrific
A Regular

Thanks for the info. I have the cheap lowering 2" dogbones on my bike and the forks lowered now too. The height is perfect for me with 32" inseam, 160 lbs (naked...don't ask). I don't ride off-road except for an occasional gravel road so bottoming out the suspension nor hitting the ground is not a concern.
Sponsored links

Tags
forks, front, lowering