SiteLock
Thoughts on going with a 16t front sprocket? - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
lhedrick
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2016
Locale: Utah
Postings: 121
lhedrick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on going with a 16t front sprocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
I had one squirly moment riding out of Diamond Creek (Grand Canyon) on a water crossing.
That road is always a mess. What they charge to drive that road is nuts. When on the river most of us just row a few more days and take out at Pearce Ferry. If you were just on a road trip, do they charge you to just drive down to the river? That could be a fun trip, ride down to the river then back out to stay in a 5 start resort in Peach Springs.
lhedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #22
KLRogu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: AUSTRALIA
Postings: 247
KLRogu is on a distinguished road

I rode with the stock gearing for like only 2 hours the motor just feels to revvie in top gear for me however my riding is mostly road after much experimentation with sprockets I settled with a 16/40 combo the motor feels nice and relaxed now on the road and can handle easy trail work to
KLRogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
BlkDakDave
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Corpus Christi Texas
Postings: 126
BlkDakDave is on a distinguished road

Went to a 16T quite a few years ago and never looked back. KLR's are tanks with torque to spare. When not on a super slab or resemblance, I'm usually in a gear that allows the bike to easily speed up or slow down using "said gear." BTW, I can get between 55 and 60 MPG --- no brag, just fact.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 354
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedrick View Post
I'm thinking about this method. A 14 and 16 or the 15 and 16. Just buy another chain and if I'm doing a road trip go big. I will say I don't really like the KLR above 65, being 6 foot 4 there is just too much wind. So in my case the 15 seems to offer the best all around compromise. If only they would have engineered this bike with six speeds instead of 5.

When I win the lottery, I will buy a second bike just for dirt gears.

You don't need a second chain. Play with the 15 for a bit. If it does what you want, fine, if you find you want a little more on the freeway, get a 16. Same chain.

If you find you want more down low, get a 14, Same chain.

Regarding the 16, it will carve a bit out of your chain guard. This is normal. You can clean the area up with a dremel, but the chain will do a fine job carving out a channel on it's own.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #25
lhedrick
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
You don't need a second chain.
Thanks, I had a feeling there was enough adjustment at the back wheel now I know and that makes it an easy deal.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #26
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Central Arizona
Postings: 2,820
Haldor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That road is always a mess. What they charge to drive that road is nuts. When on the river most of us just row a few more days and take out at Pearce Ferry. If you were just on a road trip, do they charge you to just drive down to the river? That could be a fun trip, ride down to the river then back out to stay in a 5 start resort in Peach Springs.
We camped overnight. It was a great trip, took a lot of negotiating to get permission. The tribe hasn't let motorcycles in there for a very long time (I heard a figure of 15 years). Was $25 per bike to camp. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #27
lhedrick
A Regular

Haldor -- If you like riding the desert south west. I recommend riding form Escalante to Tory, past calf creak falls then up and over boulder mountain. Many side dirt road where you can camp for the night. There is a campground at Calf Creek and BLM camp sites on Boulder Mountain.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #28
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Haldor -- If you like riding the desert south west. I recommend riding form Escalante to Tory, past calf creak falls then up and over boulder mountain. Many side dirt road where you can camp for the night. There is a campground at Calf Creek and BLM camp sites on Boulder Mountain.
I have heard the riding in the Grand Staircase Escalante national monument is excellent. How newbie friendly is it? I am not beyond fire road skill levels. Also what it the temperature like. Down here, we pretty much abandon longer trail rides for the summer (need to be hiding in our air conditioned caves by noon).
Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
lhedrick
A Regular

I was only talking about paved roads and just plain dirt here and there. Easy stuff not even close to the White Rim in Canyon Lands. Southern Utah does get hot, so I don't go there July and August. The hike to Calf Creek falls is too much in summer sun. 5 miles out 5 back so it needs to be done early. Up on Boulder mountain it's cooler. There are may dirt roads up there and people take camp trailers down many of them. Off the top is a camp named Oak Creek near the summit of Boulder Mountain. A dirt roads goes 5 miles or so down to the boundary of Capital Reef NP. They have been washing out as the years have gone by. On most you can just go until you don't like the condition then go back but, you can camp on any of the dirt roads off Boulder Mountain.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #30
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
I was only talking about paved roads and just plain dirt here and there. Easy stuff not even close to the White Rim in Canyon Lands. Southern Utah does get hot, so I don't go there July and August. The hike to Calf Creek falls is too much in summer sun. 5 miles out 5 back so it needs to be done early. Up on Boulder mountain it's cooler. There are may dirt roads up there and people take camp trailers down many of them. Off the top is a camp named Oak Creek near the summit of Boulder Mountain. A dirt roads goes 5 miles or so down to the boundary of Capital Reef NP. They have been washing out as the years have gone by. On most you can just go until you don't like the condition then go back but, you can camp on any of the dirt roads off Boulder Mountain.
Thanks,

Sounds like a spring/fall trip. When do you guys get most of your rain? I would prefer to avoid mud assuming it is anything like the mud in Northern AZ.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #31
lhedrick
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Thanks,

Sounds like a spring/fall trip. When do you guys get most of your rain? I would prefer to avoid mud assuming it is anything like the mud in Northern AZ.
I live in Park City, up here things start to dry out the first week in July. April even down south is perfect one day then a foot of snow the next. I have had sun burn on April river trips many times and on the same trips have had to sit in a tent or worse row in snow storms. Mid May thru June are good. Sept - Oct is nice. Up here we donít have the summer monsoon like in AZ. Once July gets here we can go weeks with no rain at all. July and August in southern Utah can be 100 - 105. Not as tough as AZ but still too hot to ride but just like in Flag, riding at 7000 feet or above is not bad. Escalante is lower and gets hot but up on Boulder Mountain itís nice even on hot days. Moab is tough in summer, but up on the La Sal Mountain loop road itís okay but, you have to get there first.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #32
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
I live in Park City, up here things start to dry out the first week in July. April even down south is perfect one day then a foot of snow the next. I have had sun burn on April river trips many times and on the same trips have had to sit in a tent or worse row in snow storms. Mid May thru June are good. Sept - Oct is nice. Up here we donít have the summer monsoon like in AZ. Once July gets here we can go weeks with no rain at all. July and August in southern Utah can be 100 - 105. Not as tough as AZ but still too hot to ride but just like in Flag, riding at 7000 feet or above is not bad. Escalante is lower and gets hot but up on Boulder Mountain itís nice even on hot days. Moab is tough in summer, but up on the La Sal Mountain loop road itís okay but, you have to get there first.
Thanks, perhaps you might be willing to play trip leader for a couple of clueless AZ riders. We make excellent minions.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #33
Maverick1701

Super Cool Since: May 2013
Locale: Lakeview, TX 79239
Postings: 400
Maverick1701 is on a distinguished road

I swapped to a 16t 2 years ago. I do mainly highway riding combined with minor offroad (county roads, fire roads, trails). I am not changing back...I like my 16t.
16t front sprocket, TwinHeadlightErnie driving lights/mounts, 2 $14 LED light bars, EM RL1 Raising Links, Motech Crash bars, Motech Center Stand, Nuvi260W, Dirttracks Racks, MCM Electronics Boxes, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, "I heart my bike" bicycle bell.
Maverick1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #34
Twofish
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Menlo Park, California
Postings: 30
Twofish is on a distinguished road

I just bought my 2009 KLR a few weeks ago. The first time I took it on the freeway it felt like it was working too hard to go 65.
The bike came with a big hard case on the rear rack and inside the case was a clymer manual, OG owners manual, the stock rear spring, and a 14 and a 16 tooth sprocket.
The next day I tightened up the exhaust header flange, the header to pipe connection, cleaned the clogged air filter, and installed the 16 tooth sprocket.
Now she cruises nicely at about 75 and can hit 80+ if I want it to. I live at sea level but I also do some riding up around the 4500 foot level. That's where I do most of my dirt riding. It struggles a bit down in the low end but I like the way it runs at the top end so I'm keeping the 16tooth sprocket.
Twofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #35
horsepoor
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2013
Locale: West Palm Beach, Florida
Postings: 141
horsepoor is on a distinguished road

I am a big guy at 6-2 and 290lb. I have found the heavy under powered KLR struggles on trails at altitude (8,000 +). I have been told on average you loose 3% HP for each 1,000 feet of altitude. So at 10,000 feet a KLR has perhaps 20 HP or so at the rear wheel. In any event, I found the 14 tooth indispensable for me at higher elevations on steep terrain, for example the Mary Murphy Mine Road in Colorado, 12,000 feet. I actually got the bike on an extremely steep grade and could not power up the hill even in first gear with the 14T. Can't imagine riding trails at high altitude, big guy, gear, and all with a 15t or a 16t, it wouldn't work for me, perhaps a smaller guy.
horsepoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
lhedrick
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
I am a big guy at 6-2 and 290lb. I have found the heavy under powered KLR struggles on trails at altitude (8,000 +). I have been told on average you loose 3% HP for each 1,000 feet of altitude. So at 10,000 feet a KLR has perhaps 20 HP or so at the rear wheel. In any event, I found the 14 tooth indispensable for me at higher elevations on steep terrain, for example the Mary Murphy Mine Road in Colorado, 12,000 feet. I actually got the bike on an extremely steep grade and could not power up the hill even in first gear with the 14T. Can't imagine riding trails at high altitude, big guy, gear, and all with a 15t or a 16t, it wouldn't work for me, perhaps a smaller guy.
I am 6-4 and have been as high as 235. Now at 220. I live at about 8000 feet and my KLR650 pulls a 15 mile 7-10 percent grade on I80 to get to the exit at the summit the the final 2 miles to my house are still on pavement but grades over 20 percent in some spots. It has no problem with the stock gears. I can roll on the throttle at 65 on I80 at the steepest parts and it's ready to go. Even on the road to my house where it's over 20 percent in first is has plenty of power. I ride up around 10000 all the time but not on dirt at lower RPM and it's fine. I have not done any single track and on high mountain dirt roads it still has enough power but, being a rider of lower riding ability on dirt, a lower set of gears would help a lot. The stock gears on steep dirt are too high. If I have to slow down on a steep section and it spins out, I have trouble getting started again. With the stock gears it takes a lot of clutch for me.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #37
SilverCityzen
Site Supporter

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: Southwest United States
Postings: 671
SilverCityzen is on a distinguished road

I live at 6000 feet, my KLR has a fully stock engine (in terms of snorkel, KLX kit, etc. It has the important mod: EM Doo ). No freeways in this area, it's all highways and less. For me, the 16 up front was not a good deal, the engine had to work too hard, and I actually ended up shifting gears more often just to keep the engine happy. Gas mileage went down as well. I think a 685/688 kit (or more) would make the 16 work like a charm, at least on pavement. I also use a 14 for the fun stuff, but have had better results with the 15 for pavement around here.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 AM   #38
Osmooms
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Australia
Postings: 134
Osmooms is on a distinguished road

Well, I slapped a 17T on right from the get go, and am happy with it. Sure it's more or a chore with gear changes on dirt, but I haven't got stuck yet, on the highway 3800rpm @100klm/hr in 5th. Purrs along, but you do need to change down when revs get under 3000. Unless I intend to do some real trail type riding, which is unlikely given the amount of stuff I carry around, I'm sticking with it.
Osmooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #39
Dfriz

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: Norcal
Postings: 12
Dfriz is on a distinguished road

16/40 Here
Dfriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #40
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 926
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

16/40 is the same as 17/43.
17/43 is better longevity wise.
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
16t, front, sprocket, thoughts