SiteLock
Front tire broke lose....down I go - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls Post-incident report, analysis and discussion aimed at increasing safety

Old 04-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice
Default Front tire broke lose....down I go

We had some massive rains here the last few days. The skies finally cleared and I went out for a nice romp on my Scrambler.

I was enjoying a lovely ride when I turned left onto a side road. I had slowed down to a proper speed to take the corner.....when suddenly I am down on my stomach next to my Scrambler wondering what the heck just happened.

I picked myself up, checked myself over, and then picked up my Scrambler.

Looking back......Arrrggghhhh.....There's literally about 2 to 3 inches of sand all the way across the road.....Run-off from the storms, and it was that soft fine sand that feels like tiny ball bearings. Shame on me for not being more careful and mindful of the conditions. It was completely stupid......I was caught day dreaming, and I could have been injured.

The bike is fine. I scuffed up a bar end mirror, snapped off a shifter peg, and scuffed up a passenger peg block off......Replacements have already been ordered. The side of the clutch cover has a minor scrape that I will sand and spray this weekend. The forks are slightly out of line, but that's a simple fix. I think my bars are fine, but I am still considering swapping them out for a Renthal. All-in-all....it is minor stuff and the bike will look like new in about a week.

Knowing my primary mistake was not paying close enough attention to the road conditions, I still wondered if there was something I should have or could have done to save it. But in rethinking it......I don't think so. The front tire broke loose pretty darn quick and I am happy to report that I did not make it worse by grabbing the front brake. But regardless, it was too late and it was a millisecond before I was down.

So it's been about 36 hours and I have been through the stages of emotions. First = Shaken. Second = Pissed off. Third = Sadness. Fourth = Reflection.
As crazy as this might sound.....I am happy this happened. It was the wake-up call I needed to not get complacent. Stuff can happen really fast. Be vigilant. Be alert. No need to ride in fear, but complacency can settle in so quickly. When I think what might have happened.........What if my turn was in traffic? What if I was going a bit faster? etc. So I am truly thankful for the wake-up call.

Take heed all you who have become complacent.......
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
SilverCityzen
Site Supporter

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: Southwest United States
Postings: 671
SilverCityzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Front tire broke lose....down I go

Glad to hear the damage was no worse, especially to you! And yeah, excellent lesson about complacency... that can sneak up on a fella and he's in trouble before he knows it. Good luck on the damage repair!
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
"Mitch"

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Thanks for the well wishes. Very happy it was minor. Good lesson.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
JThomasNC
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2015
Locale: NC
Postings: 44
JThomasNC is on a distinguished road

The front end washing out is almost always suprising and a total shock when it happens.

Glad everything worked out!
JThomasNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
DanBarwick

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Independence, Kansas
Postings: 1,006
DanBarwick is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you are ok! I can't totally relate about the wake up call - anything scary sharpens me up quick.

2009 KLR, EM 685 kit, full Cogent treatment, goes anywhere
2005 Yamaha TW200, actually this is the one that REALLY goes anywhere
1999 BMW r1100rt, a true continent crusher
DanBarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
"Mitch"

Just returned from my first long ride on the Scrambler since my mishap. WOW! It put me back to little girl stage.....at least for the first half hour. I didn't think much about it until I got to the first corner....and then It took a little while to shake the willies and just ride. I think it will take a few rides to lose that memory....or at least put it in the proper context.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,175
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you are okay and the damage was manageable. Best to get back in the saddle and work through it.

I did something similar a few years ago. Only For me it was gray pea gravel on faded gray asphault. Instead of my usual semi-dirt style I normally use on sketchy country roads, I had slipped into "get home" mode and was not paying attention to the changing conditions. Thankfully I was not hurt, and other than some scraped up handguard and mirror, I had ripped out the right fork bleed screw. I trimmed a stick and jammed it in to get home. A new screw fixed that, and I've chosen to keep the scarred lower fork on the bike as a visible reminder to respect the road and keep my mind in the moment.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 04-23-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,684
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Glad you are ok. Us old guys don't bounce very well any longer and even a soft down can be a bit more serious than expected. Most of my 'crashes' were while racing and like you I would go back and analyse what happened. 99.3% it was the idiot who was holding onto the bars. You identified what it was. Book mark it and remember it. Every time I pull into a gas station the first thing I look for is green diesel handles. If they are present I slow down so much old granny's in walkers have passed me.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
MotoPhoto
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jan 2004
Locale: Klamath Falls, OR
Postings: 2,211
MotoPhoto is on a distinguished road

Glad you are ok, that is a danger this time of year. I have been riding for almost a month so far this year, all of it on my KLR. On the Triumph if it goes down.......one side panel is almost a $1000.00 all by it's self.
Polaris Sports Man quad
KLR-650, it's a great do-it-all bike which excels at nothing; except being able to do everything
MotoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
"Mitch"

It's a good idea to ride the KLR until the roads are in better shape. But in this area I need to always be alert. There's always sand, gravel or other crap (literally) on county roads. My little mishap was a good wake up call.

The Scrambler is back to like new. I replaced both mirrors with another model of Joker Machine that I like a lot better. They're expensive but worth it. I also replace the snapped off shifter peg with a Joker Machine peg that looks cool and works well. For any possible future whoops I installed a set of LSL frame sliders up on the engine case and a set of British Customs frame sliders that mount on the passenger peg mounts. The front and rear sliders provide good coverage. About the only expensive item still at risk is my Zard exhaust, but there's no way to fully protect it. I guess I just need to stop crashing my bike. 😬

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 997
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough

Glad you're fine. I agree, those front tire washouts are unnerving as they seem to occur without warning. Not to mention early season rides, besides offering challenging road surfaces, are challenging for another reason. As riders it takes a while to reboot all those spidey danger senses we had when the previous riding season ended. My internal alert system is much better in Oct/Nov when two travel ends in Central Orygun than it is in March/April when two-wheel riding season begins.

I have yet to go down on a front tire washout on the Ural.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Totaled. Sniff)
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,636
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
So it's been about 36 hours and I have been through the stages of emotions. First = Shaken. Second = Pissed off. Third = Sadness. Fourth = Reflection.
Glad you are alright, however you forgot the cold beer stage.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
"Mitch"

Check that 4th Stage.....Reflection. What does one need to properly reflect?
Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,636
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

touché Sir
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,025
donA will become famous soon enough

Hey Mitch, Glad your OK and got off cheep! A few months ago I dropped my common sense , Got lazy , Stupid, Whatever, I was just running up and down my gravel road trying to chase down a carb problem on my new to me 250 Kawai SF . 17" wheels, Dual piston caliper ,320 mm rotor, Sticky tires, Came down my driveway and grabbed a little to much front brake on wet asphalt and pine needles , Went from about 20 MPH to pavement in about 1/2 second ...No gear what so ever ,Hit my head, Shoulder , Elbow ,still have some nerve damage in my arm , Hit my hip , knee and chipped a bone in my ankle..Idiot...I know better ,Rookie mistake .. All from not having my head in the game .Cost me about a grand .And a week of work . I was goina post about it but never did ,too pissed, A little embarrassed..It took weeks to mentally get over it ..I guess I needed a refresher course ....

Last edited by donA; 05-04-2017 at 11:26 PM.
donA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #16
"Mitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donA View Post
Hey Mitch, Glad your OK and got off cheep! A few months ago I dropped my common sense , Got lazy , Stupid, Whatever, I was just running up and down my gravel road trying to chase down a carb problem on my new to me 250 Kawai SF . 17" wheels, Dual piston caliper ,320 mm rotor, Sticky tires, Came down my driveway and grabbed a little to much front brake on wet asphalt and pine needles , Went from about 20 MPH to pavement in about 1/2 second ...No gear what so ever ,Hit my head, Shoulder , Elbow ,still have some nerve damage in my arm , Hit my hip , knee and chipped a bone in my ankle..Idiot...I know better ,Rookie mistake .. All from not having my head in the game .Cost me about a grand .And a week of work . I was goina post about it but never did ,too pissed, A little embarrassed..It took weeks to mentally get over it ..I guess I needed a refresher course ....
I'm really sorry that you too had a wake-up call. Sounds like you landed a little harder than I did. It definitely gets your attention and puts you back a bit. I took the Scrambler out today and I'm still not over it. I found myself slowing down a lot more in the corners. It really messes with your head. Happy to hear you weren't​ hurt too badly. Go ATGATT and get back on the pony.

All The Best!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,025
donA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
I'm really sorry that you too had a wake-up call. Sounds like you landed a little harder than I did. It definitely gets your attention and puts you back a bit. I took the Scrambler out today and I'm still not over it. I found myself slowing down a lot more in the corners. It really messes with your head. Happy to hear you weren't​ hurt too badly. Go ATGATT and get back on the pony.

All The Best!

Absolutely, I broke my own rule no ATGATT no ride , Just got back from a nice little ride into town for some M&M's needed an excuse ...
donA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
broke, front, losedown, tire