SiteLock
Alternative Front Brake Rotor - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 11-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,422
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough
Default Alternative Front Brake Rotor

Calling on the collective brain here:

My front brake rotor is worn beyond the service limit thickness of 0.177". So I'm considering a larger diameter replacement rotor that will hopefully provide improved braking performance. I want to retain my OEM brake caliper, so I'm looking at Eagle Mike's caliper adapter for use with larger diameter rotors.

The question is: which is the best rotor for use with the Eagle Mike caliper adapter?

I'm trying to avoid buying some cheapo mild steel rotor that will wear out in less than 10,000 miles.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 926
Bell driver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alternative Front Brake Rotor

As far as I know there are only two options, the EBC and the Tusk.
I run the EBC on my XR650L and it works just fine.
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,684
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

EBC offers or did offer two versions. EM now uses the newer version (non-gold center). Why not just purchase from EM?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,422
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
EBC offers or did offer two versions. EM now uses the newer version (non-gold center). Why not just purchase from EM?
Thanks for the suggestion. Without looking at his website, I mistakenly thought he offered only the caliper bracket.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Without looking at his website, I mistakenly thought he offered only the caliper bracket.

Best,

Jason
He offers a number of options. I haven't checked recently but some of the brackets are listed in wrong area so a general search will bring the option you are looking for. For Gen2 owners the stock caliper works well. For Gen1 owners upgrading to the Suzuki caliper is nearly the same increase in brake performance as going from stock rotor to oversized rotor.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,488
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Yep, the EBC from Eaglemike is my suggestion. I went with a cheapy rotor first; big mistake!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
lhedrick
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2016
Locale: Utah
Postings: 121
lhedrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Yep, the EBC from Eaglemike is my suggestion. I went with a cheapy rotor first; big mistake!

Dave
What was the big mistake? I too need a new front rotor. Don't really want to change size, just looking for a descent replacement. From my perspective the KLR is not a performance bike. I just need a good replacement which will be smooth.
lhedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedrick View Post
What was the big mistake? I too need a new front rotor. Don't really want to change size, just looking for a descent replacement. From my perspective the KLR is not a performance bike. I just need a good replacement which will be smooth.
I think most upgrade the Gen1 primarily for safety. Performance just happens to go along with the upgrade. Stock size is just too small and ineffective compared to semi modern bikes, cars or even a FedEx truck. Gen1 front brake was decent in 1984.

Gen1 has two primary issues..too small rotor and single piston caliper. Going to a 320mm rotor more than makes up for the single piston caliper (compared to a Gen2) but stepping up to a dual caliper again raises the bar that much more. If you need a rotor at the very least swap in a 320mm rotor.

On my personal Gen1 I went a step further adding a modern master. Not quite as good as my other modern bikes but I have no worries about braking in either dirt or street.

Last edited by Chuck B; 11-04-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:46 AM   #9
brendan87na

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Seattle
Postings: 88
brendan87na is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
On my personal Gen1 I went a step further adding a modern master. Not quite as good as my other modern bikes but I have no worries about braking in either dirt or street.
What did you replace it with?
brendan87na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan87na View Post
What did you replace it with?
Way back when, I had upgraded my 08 CBR1000RR with full brembo. The stock radial mstr unit was in my spare parts bin and turns out its a direct bolt on to the KLR. Technically speaking, a mstr designed to push two calipers doesn't work well pushing a single caliper (ratio of pressure/fluid) but in this case it works very well. I've done a couple other mstr upgrades that worked better than stock; gen 1 Concours and Versys. I've done a number of swaps to the Gen2 KLR mstr as well. Just about anything is better than the Gen1 mstr.

Last edited by Chuck B; 11-05-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
GPD323

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Spanaway WA
Postings: 259
GPD323 is on a distinguished road

I put this on my 2009 KLR, big improvement. I also run the black Galfer pads and SS lines

Warp 9 Supermoto 320mm Brake Rotor Kit KLR650 '87-Current

New from Warp 9, a full floating 320mm Supermoto disc with caliper relocation bracket! These rotors have an additional hole for placement of a magnet for an electronic type speedo like the Vapor.

this is listed on Procycles website. About 164.95
GPD323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #12
Jerry Atrick

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 843
Jerry Atrick will become famous soon enough

I did the SV650 caliper with EBC rotor and EM adapter bracket. It required a bit of shimming beyond what EM supplied but that was a minor inconvenience and the improvement in stopping power is significant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VIAPeSzkaOiUDD

PS: You want the non-ABS SV650 caliper.
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,488
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedrick View Post
The big mistake was purchasing a chinese CZR rotor and twin piston caliper kit off ebay. In my defense, this was before the SV mod was developed. The kit was garbage with hardware store fence hardware and a chinese knockoff goldwing caliper and ninja master cyl. I thought the rotor looked OK and so I embarked on the process of making my own SV caliper adaptor to use with it (EM hadn't started making them) The first problem was the rotor was too thick and didn't have countersunk holes for the rotor bolts. I had to mickey-mouse it with a small shim and by grinding the rotor bolt heads to avoid hitting the caliper.

....after all that, it worked but then the rivits started to loosen off. By then I had purchased the EBC 320mm rotor and SV adaptor from EM for my other KLR and I knew they worked perfectly together so I bought a second EBC and mounted it on KLR #1; problem solved.

As far as Gen1 KLR brakes go......well, they suck, performance bike or not. I consider it as safety issue. If I was hung up on staying with a stock(ish) size rotor, then I'd go with the slightly larger Gen2 rotor and make a custom Gen2 rotor to SV caliper adaptor and have a front brake only slightly less powerful than the full meal deal 320mm/SV setup. There is a PDF available for that

Otherwise, just get a used stock replacement (shouldn't be too hard to find with all the KLR owners upgrading to the 320mm) and leave plenty of room between you and the vehicles in front of you.

2 cents,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
alternative, brake, front, rotor