SiteLock
General off roading questions - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 44
Zz- is on a distinguished road
Default General off roading questions

So I finally found some really decent trails hidden away in New Jersey. 3-8 foot sand whoops, clay and rock 60 degree climbs with some ledges up to a foot high, and some narrow trails for bikes.

I kind of ignored the small trails because dirt wasn't new or much of a challenge, but I really felt myself wrestling the bike on the sand. I'd be doing 30 and had to punt the ground a lot to keep the bike from high siding me. Is this normal? Could it be my tire?

Also crossing from soft or hard pack to loose sand seemed hard. I choose to lower speed by torquing through it. It seemed to work. Slowing down by braking was obviously a no. My rear tire nearly swung sideways the first time I tried that. Would more speed at high rpm work too?

I was also confused about crossing water. I did it very lightly, but it seemed too easy. I didn't go too deep. But what is a challenge on the KLR? I want to try going deeper.

Lastly, hill climbing seemed really difficult. The TKC 70 is no knobby but it is a good tire. It was clay and rock. Is that just something I need to gain speed for? I thought about it but rolling backwards five times dissuaded me.

Also cheers, I didn't dump the bike my first time gunning the trails Although I came within inches of many helmet seeking branches
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
general, questions, roading