SiteLock
New wanna be KLR owner from Bay Area - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Member Introductions Please, take a minute to introduce yourself to everyone!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Norcal camper
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Fremont, Ca
Postings: 1,046
Norcal camper is on a distinguished road
Default New wanna be KLR owner from Bay Area

Hello everyone,

Somehow I recently got bitten by the KLR bug. Maybe it's an early mid-life crisis! Anyway, I've seen these bikes fly by me on the highway loaded up for adventure and have always wished I was going along. I've tried to talk some buddies into buying a KLR so I would have someone to ride with when I get mine, but no takers so far. I figured there are plenty of riders out there all around me that have the same interests as me that would love to go explore on a KLR. So I'm in the early stages of looking for a good, low-mileage KLR. I like the older style bikes more than the newer ones, and the cost savings are a plus too. So I've got my eyes open for a 05-07' in my area at the right price. I look forward to chating with everyone here. I'm sure I'll have a million questions to ask.
Norcal camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Buddy

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Missouri
Postings: 623
Buddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New wanna be KLR owner from Bay Area

Welcome aboard...........

I read this chat forum for about year or longer before I actually had my first KLR in hand. I had on order two 2008 KLR's and then backed out and opt'd for the older style. I am happy with that decision although I would buy an '09 in a heartbeat if I was certain they had some of the '08 bugs worked out.

I had a new '07. Loved it, sold it. I had a mint condition '05, loved it sold it. Now I have a glorious '02 army green. Love it. I think I'll hang onto it for awhile....maybe. Although a guy saw it at work the other day and left his business card for me to call him....he would like to buy it.

KLR is a great affliction.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
slap happy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: pt.roberts,wa.
Postings: 22
slap happy is on a distinguished road

i have a 08 and no problems,no recall on my bike and no oil burning issues it's a great bike nice to ride on and off road. perhaps i was lucky and bought mine at the end of july. took it in to the shop to have the doohickey replaced and there was no problem with it at 2900 miles,replaced anyways with that mikes. spent money for no reason,as that may be my bike was manufactured in 05/08 so maybe i lucked out. p.s nothing like owning a bike that no one has ridden except for test ride upon assembley.
slap happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Norcal camper
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap happy View Post
nothing like owning a bike that no one has ridden except for test ride upon assembley.
That comment reminds me of what my Kawasaki dealer said about the new bikes when asked about proper break-in. He said he visited the Kawasaki factory and saw them roll off the assembly line floor, get fired up, then ran at full throttle out the back door onto the interstate. He figured they were as broke in as they ever were going to be after that and didn't believe in the whole "must properly break-in a new motor" thing. If I end up with a new one, I think I'm still going to follow the proper break-in though.
Norcal camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Buddy

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Missouri
Postings: 623
Buddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal camper View Post
That comment reminds me of what my Kawasaki dealer said about the new bikes when asked about proper break-in. He said he visited the Kawasaki factory and saw them roll off the assembly line floor, get fired up, then ran at full throttle out the back door onto the interstate. He figured they were as broke in as they ever were going to be after that and didn't believe in the whole "must properly break-in a new motor" thing. If I end up with a new one, I think I'm still going to follow the proper break-in though.
This https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm is how you break-in a bike. I used this method two months ago and the difference is noticable (IMO)
Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Norcal camper
KLR Enthusiast

That website seems to support what's going on at the factory when they run them full throttle right off the assembly line.

Tags
area, bay, klr, owner, wanna