SiteLock
Prostate trouble and motorcycling - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
clogan

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Ooltewah, Tennessee
Postings: 765
clogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the rough
Default Prostate trouble and motorcycling

Many men of a certain age begin to have prostate trouble, and I am curious as to how that affects motorcycle riding. Specifically, can a guy still enjoy riding if he undergoes treatment for prostate cancer? My doc says that every male will eventually develop prostate cancer, unless he dies first of something else. As we get into our mid to late 60s, this becomes a more and more real issue.

Any riders out there who are being, or who have been treated for prostate cancer? How did it affect your riding?
2010 C-14 Concours
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Good Times
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Too-son
Postings: 4,687
Good Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prostate trouble and motorcycling

Snip-snip, it was out. It was 15 years ago towards the end of the major incision in the groin era, so a huge cut to heal for the inches of groin just below the belly button. Took about 4 to 6 months.

I suspect that doesn't happen anymore, probably done with laproscopic incisions not. I had kidney cancer a few years ago, and I was all healed up in a couple of weeks.

For me, I'm now a couple days from my 66th, other things keep me off the motorcycle. I've had a stupid couple of get offs that broke my collarbone and added to my collection of broken ribs. The thrill is gone, and the less I ride the less I should ride--lack of practice is not a good thing.

For me, the prostatectomy was just a minor bump in the road of life. Actually so was the kidney cancer.
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ

Last edited by Good Times; 12-09-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Good Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
clogan

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Ooltewah, Tennessee
Postings: 765
clogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the rough

I appreciate your insight there, Brian. I'd like to think I'm brave enough to share your philosophy about the bumps long the way.

It's kinda funny: you rock along for 40, 50, 60 years. Never a trouble in the world. Then, BAM! Stuff starts falling out, falling off, stuff growing where it shouldn't, that which used to work doesn't any more.

But then again, a wise man once said, " Never complain about growing old, as it's a privelege denied to many."

I rode my bike yesterday, I rode it today, and hopefully will ride it tomorrow. And I'll keep on riding it every day, untill I cannot.
2010 C-14 Concours

Last edited by clogan; 12-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,525
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

Rode with a beast of a guy through the Mohave today. Had prostate surgery/removal in March. He rides slow but tough as nails. He went down maybe 5 times today in the soft sand but kept getting back up! I say he's a beast not because he's strong, but because he continues to have a positive outlook on life and inspires me. He's a weird guy for sure and has had many, many, physical setbacks. He's a FAAAAHHHHKIN STUD!

I wish I could go into his physical impediments but I wouldn't do it without his permission.... His bike is heavy as FAAAAHHHHK too! We joked about it being heavier than a GS. It's unusually heavy. XR650L... I know someone will post the dry/wet weight but that's BOWL-SHET! This bike is heavier than my KLR. I can't believe he is able to pick it up alone... HES A BEAST!

Ride till you can't ride anymore....
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #5
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,023
donA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
I appreciate your insight there, Brian. I'd like to think I'm brave enough to share your philosophy about the bumps long the way.

It's kinda funny: you rock along for 40, 50, 60 years. Never a trouble in the world. Then, BAM! Stuff starts falling out, falling off, stuff growing where it shouldn't, that which used to work doesn't any more.

But then again, a wise man once said, " Never complain about growing old, as it's a privelege denied to many."

I rode my bike yesterday, I rode it today, and hopefully will ride it tomorrow. And I'll keep on riding it every day, untill I cannot.
Ain't that the truth , But the will to ride is strong...even if it's just a trip to the store , Just got to throw a leg over..Chronic sore back ,neck, bad knees doesn't help, I'm with you, Ride till you can't, That will be a sad day
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #6
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 720
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
Snip-snip, it was out. It was 15 years ago towards the end of the major incision in the groin era, so a huge cut to heal for the inches of groin just below the belly button. Took about 4 to 6 months.

I suspect that doesn't happen anymore, probably done with laproscopic incisions not. I had kidney cancer a few years ago, and I was all healed up in a couple of weeks.

For me, I'm now a couple days from my 66th, other things keep me off the motorcycle. I've had a stupid couple of get offs that broke my collarbone and added to my collection of broken ribs. The thrill is gone, and the less I ride the less I should ride--lack of practice is not a good thing.

For me, the prostatectomy was just a minor bump in the road of life. Actually so was the kidney cancer.

I'm going to use this thread for my public service rant on getting checked for prostate and colon cancers. I've lost 4 dear friends in the last 3 years to entirely preventable cancers because they never got the checkups and didn't discover it until it was symptomatic (i.e. too late) You don't ever want to hear the words "If we'd only caught it sooner." as they are giving you your "use by" date.

There's a lot of poor advice out there lately about testing for prostate cancer. Doctors are actually saying that you should not track your PSA levels and that a physical examine is not necessary. That's a load of bovine scat for two reasons. First, doctors don't enjoy putting a couple of fingers up your wazoo any more than you enjoy having it done - so they are happy to quickly give in to the narrative that it's unnecessary. Secondly, they're using the statistical significance of useless PSA tests because it comes back OK in the vast majority of cases - until it doesn't. That second point is a narrative that goes toward lowering the social costs of medicine. But if your prostate cancer can be caught early enough so that you live 30 more years instead of just 1 more year - am I willing to die to reduce the societal costs of medicine? Is your family and friends willing to let you die so that society's costs are a tiny bit lower? Uh, ef no.

My doctor tracks my baseline PSA level every 90 days and because my colonoscopy was perfectly clean at 50, I'm not due again for another year at 60. I'm told by my insurance carrier that they'll pay for colonoscopies until I'm 70 and then I'm too old to be worth covering the test anymore. I don't know about you guys but I plan on riding in the A group on track days and riding ADV bikes around the world into my 70s so I'll be doing everything I need to do for decades yet so that I never have to hear "If we'd only caught it sooner."

And I'll add that if you have any risk factors, do yourself another solid and get a cardiac calcium score or nuclear stress test and vascular screening done every several years to see if you're living right for a long healthy life you can spend with your loved ones. My dad died when I was 13 at the ripe old age of 43 from his fifth heart attack in a year. He had 5 brothers, they all died of coronary disease. So I lived most of my life under that dark cloud until the tests advanced to where they are now with non-invasive medical imaging. I'm happy to report that my cardiac calcium score is zero, which at my age basically means that I was born without the gene that makes arterial plaque. I had my nuclear stress test this past week and it was 100% normal and healthy with no sign of arterial blockage and very healthy heart function. Imagine how much better I sleep at night now knowing that it very likely won't be my heart that kills me. And all it took was a few hours of one day to collect that knowledge.

OK, rant over. I'm off to eat a big plate of bacon and sausages with my pancakes
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #7
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,023
donA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I'm going to use this thread for my public service rant on getting checked for prostate and colon cancers. I've lost 4 dear friends in the last 3 years to entirely preventable cancers because they never got the checkups and didn't discover it until it was symptomatic (i.e. too late) You don't ever want to hear the words "If we'd only caught it sooner." as they are giving you your "use by" date.

There's a lot of poor advice out there lately about testing for prostate cancer. Doctors are actually saying that you should not track your PSA levels and that a physical examine is not necessary. That's a load of bovine scat for two reasons. First, doctors don't enjoy putting a couple of fingers up your wazoo any more than you enjoy having it done - so they are happy to quickly give in to the narrative that it's unnecessary. Secondly, they're using the statistical significance of useless PSA tests because it comes back OK in the vast majority of cases - until it doesn't. That second point is a narrative that goes toward lowering the social costs of medicine. But if your prostate cancer can be caught early enough so that you live 30 more years instead of just 1 more year - am I willing to die to reduce the societal costs of medicine? Is your family and friends willing to let you die so that society's costs are a tiny bit lower? Uh, ef no.

My doctor tracks my baseline PSA level every 90 days and because my colonoscopy was perfectly clean at 50, I'm not due again for another year at 60. I'm told by my insurance carrier that they'll pay for colonoscopies until I'm 70 and then I'm too old to be worth covering the test anymore. I don't know about you guys but I plan on riding in the A group on track days and riding ADV bikes around the world into my 70s so I'll be doing everything I need to do for decades yet so that I never have to hear "If we'd only caught it sooner."

And I'll add that if you have any risk factors, do yourself another solid and get a cardiac calcium score or nuclear stress test and vascular screening done every several years to see if you're living right for a long healthy life you can spend with your loved ones. My dad died when I was 13 at the ripe old age of 43 from his fifth heart attack in a year. He had 5 brothers, they all died of coronary disease. So I lived most of my life under that dark cloud until the tests advanced to where they are now with non-invasive medical imaging. I'm happy to report that my cardiac calcium score is zero, which at my age basically means that I was born without the gene that makes arterial plaque. I had my nuclear stress test this past week and it was 100% normal and healthy with no sign of arterial blockage and very healthy heart function. Imagine how much better I sleep at night now knowing that it very likely won't be my heart that kills me. And all it took was a few hours of one day to collect that knowledge.

OK, rant over. I'm off to eat a big plate of bacon and sausages with my pancakes

Tags
motorcycling, prostate, trouble