SiteLock
Upgrading Pre-'96 Balance Sprockets - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 03-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
8bit

Postings: n/a
Default Upgrading Pre-'96 Balance Sprockets

Here's how to change out the pre-'96 balance sprockets for the newer ones. This guide doesn't detail how to remove side covers, clean old gasket material, etc.

Made of several pieces, the pre-'96 sprockets come apart after 20,000 miles or so. They look like this:

Parts needed. (Thx Chuck B)

12046-1165 Sprocket upper/rear
92022-1880 Washer/spacer (goes inside of the upper/rear sprocket)
13164-1007 Front/Lower sprocket/weight assembly
480J2000 2ea C-Clips (non-reusable)

A good time to do this is with the Doohickey upgrade. So you'll need those parts also. This image is from the internet and I don't know who owns it.

So here we are with the side covers off:

Rotate crankshaft to line up the chain markings with the sprocket markings. This is from the Clymer manual (please don't sue me for copyright issues):

Stuff a small rag under the adjuster sprocket to keep parts from falling into the oil sump; plugging the hole leading to the sump. Remove the Doohickey spring to ease tension on the chain. Remove the chain guides with these four bolts:

Remove the adjuster sprocket. Watch for a washer on the back side of the sprocket. Don't let it fall into the oil drain hole behind the sprocket. You did plug the hole, right?

With a C clip tool, remove c clip on both balance sprockets. If you want to work on one then the other, that's good too.

The adjuster sprocket and the rear, upper sprocket removed:

Installing the new sprockets. Lower sprocket first.

Install the chain with the mark on the sprocket -Blue. Place sprocket on shaft with alignment marks - Red.

Install new C clip. Check you have the correct pair of silver links aligned with sprockets.

Install new washer on upper sprocket shaft:

Upper sprocket alignment marks - shaft - Red; chain - Blue

With the chain aligned on the sprocket, I used a large screwdriver wedged (very gently wedged) into the shaft to rotate the shaft counter clockwise. The counterweight on the other end of this shaft wants to keep the shaft from rotating. This way I didn't need to deal with the crankshaft sprocket and chain alignment. I'll do that next. What this does is give plenty of chain to work with.

Install new C clip on upper sprocket shaft. Next to align the crankshaft sprocket and chain. Turn the screwdriver counter clockwise to give chain slack to work with. Align the marks.

Lastly, we install the adjuster sprocket. It was a bit of a challenge to install it completely assembled. Just too many parts to juggle. My method was to take just the sprocket and the washer that goes behind it; and wedge the washer on my little finger. Put the sprocket on the chain, no alignment concerns and hold the sprocket to the motor.

With the sprocket held to the motor, use the sprocket shaft to align the back washer. Back the shaft out and slip in the bearing, washer and shaft.

Install chain guides. Torque Values are: 6mm 106 in-lb; and 8mm 18 ft-lb.

Good luck and congratulations.

Last edited by Chuck B; 09-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
LocoPatrick

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Wellington, Colorado
Postings: 446
LocoPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upgrading Pre-'96 Balance Sprockets

Did you notice any difference in vibration after changing the sprockets? I noticed that I had a little more vibration from about 3800 RPM to 4300 RPM after I upgraded my balancer sprockets last year. Kind of like a resonance.

It's very strange. When the bike is cold, it is very smooth and the vibration/resonance isn't there. After the bike warms up, the vibration/resonance starts in that RPM range.

Other than that, everything works fine.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

KLR650: The .30-06 of motorcycles.
LocoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPatrick View Post
Did you notice any difference in vibration after changing the sprockets?
I'll let you know after I finish. Next I'm doing the doohickey. Then I may check the right side; I would like to at least clean the oil screen. Reminds me to order some o-rings this morning. And while I'm at it, I might check the valve shims.

8bit
Old 03-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
8bit

Quote:
Did you notice any difference in vibration after changing the sprockets?
I didn't notice any vibration, but the chain is louder. Not much, but I definitely hear it. Also the doo was all the way counter clockwise. As if the chain was shorter/sprockets were larger. There was just room for the spring and the hold fast bolt. I'm hoping there was wear on the old sprockets to account for this. Original doo was half-way in the range of travel. Chuck, any thoughts? TIA.

I shutter to think what a new chain would cost.

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 03-16-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,680
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

You are correct....worn rubber around your old sprockets. I've yet to see a balancer chain that was out of spec. The sprockets (new or old style) wear out faster. Keep that chain adjusted correctly and it will all go over 100K miles.

btw...nice write up!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
btw...nice write up!
Thanks. Probably not a lot of older Gen1s still out there, but if it helps anyone...

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 03-16-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
JesterGrin_1

Super Cool Since: Dec 2015
Locale: Army Lodge 1105,San Antonio,TEXAS
Postings: 265
JesterGrin_1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Thanks. Probably not a lot of older Gen1s still out there, but if it helps anyone...

8bit
I have to agree. Good write up along with pictures of which is always a good deal.

There are probably more Gen 1's out there then people may realize. But many owners probably do not know about what you are doing unless they come apart then guess where they maybe going for answers lol. And of course they will find your write up and hopefully fix there problem.

When people do write ups like these they may only notice the few that respond to the thread but not probably the hundreds if not more people it may have helped.
JesterGrin_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Ilya
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2016
Locale: Albany, NY
Postings: 45
Ilya is on a distinguished road

I just picked up an 89...and was told this would be a good thing to do to it...

However, I'm having a problem finding the clips (part number 48052000 doesn't seem to come back with anything on any of the sites I've looked at). Does someone have a better part number (or a link) to these?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
LocoPatrick

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Wellington, Colorado
Postings: 446
LocoPatrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
I just picked up an 89...and was told this would be a good thing to do to it...

However, I'm having a problem finding the clips (part number 48052000 doesn't seem to come back with anything on any of the sites I've looked at). Does someone have a better part number (or a link) to these?

Thanks.

Check here:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...50057#sch53986

The part number is 480J2000.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

KLR650: The .30-06 of motorcycles.
LocoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Ilya
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2016
Locale: Albany, NY
Postings: 45
Ilya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Check here:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...50057#sch53986

The part number is 480J2000.
Thank you, good sir.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
Giant

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Seattle
Postings: 113
Giant is on a distinguished road

Nice write-up 8-bit. I did this swap last year and had to hunt though a few different threads to find all the info. Good to have it all in one spot.

Ilya- the clips can be found in the goodie drawers at the hardware store for a quarter a piece if you don't want to pay for shipping. 20 mm diameter external circlip.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
rellik
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 1
rellik is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks a lot for posting this. I'm new to this thread and this is VERY helpful.

I've been riding my 650 for a few months... one day a horrible sound and vibration came up... sure enough the counterbalance tabs had broken off, separating it from the sprocket, and spewing the little bits of spring, metal fragments, etc. into the engine. I'm hoping a magnet down the sump hole will pull up any bits that may have fallen down there. I'm also hoping the sump has a pre-screen. I'd rather not do a whole rebuild.

So, it sounds like i can just order the newer, better, post-96 counterbalance sprocket and just pop that puppy right in? That'd be great!
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik View Post
Hey, thanks a lot for posting this. I'm new to this thread and this is VERY helpful.
You're very welcome.

Quote:
I'm hoping a magnet down the sump hole will pull up any bits that may have fallen down there. I'm also hoping the sump has a pre-screen. I'd rather not do a whole rebuild.
That's a call only you can make. There is a screen on the sump, but that not the only issue. If there are bits in the bottom of the engine that make their way into the tranny gears as you go over rough terrain... I would suggest pull the clutch cover to get better access to the sump with your magnet.

Quote:
So, it sounds like i can just order the newer, better, post-96 counterbalance sprocket and just pop that puppy right in? That'd be great!
Yes, that's the idea, do both of them. And upgrade the doohicky while your in there, if it hasn't been done.
Sponsored links

Tags
balance, pre96, sprockets, upgrading