SiteLock
Footpeg bolts - Fix w/ HELICOIL or WELDING - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 06-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Old_Six_Fitty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 2,525
Old_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud of
Default Footpeg bolts - Fix w/ HELICOIL or WELDING

Often times, due to heavy use or abuse, the threads end up getting stripped from the frame mounted nuts, causing the footpegs to become loose, or fall off altogether. If the frame mounted nuts still have sufficient material, its often possible to fix the problem by installing thread repair inserts, such as Helicoil or Timeserts. For this repair, I went with the 10mm replacement bolts (grade 10) and Helicoil thread inserts.

Mine had snapped off one of the original 8mm bolts. So I first had to drill the old bolt and use an easy-out extractor to get the broken stub out. The original pegs were replaced with the Suzi DR650 pegs.

I picked up the Helicoil kit from the local Napa store, which came with the thread tap, thread inserts, and installation tool. Also picked up the correct sized drill bit (10.5mm), and the 10mm, grade 10 bolts.

Next its time to open the bolt holes up with the larger drill bit. Take care to keep the drill bit perpendicular to the mounting box. I used WD-40 as a lube for thread cutting, and to clear the steel chips.

After opening the holes up, its time to make the thread for the helicoil inserts. Again, take your time, and keep the tap perpendicular to the peg mounting box.

Helicoil insert mounted on the installation tool.

After installing the helicoil, make sure you snap off the installation tang - I used a screwdriver to knock these off on my install. Comparing the original 8mm to the new improved 10mm.

Now we need open up the holes in the pegs for the larger bolts.

Need to be sure these don't back out ...

Finished project. Kind of a pita to get the wrench in there, but these are a big improvement for keeping the pegs on.

1987 KLR650 w/ 685, T-Bob, Eagle Doo, Orange Poser

. . . . . . . . . . and that's NorCal, not Sacto.

Last edited by Old_Six_Fitty; 12-22-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Re-title as How-To
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
wymanwinn
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Solvang, CA
Postings: 9,771
wymanwinn has a spectacular aura aboutwymanwinn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fixing those footpeg bolts/nuts - Helicoils.

GREAT right up Mark...

remember the Tang though...

wyman
1998 Honda VFR800+...Kitty

CHECK YOUR OIL AT EVERY FUEL STOP!!!
OR IT COULD COST $1000 or MORE!!! think about it
EagleMike Products (https://www.eaglemike.com)...
wymanwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
gbynum
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: upstate SC
Postings: 137
gbynum is on a distinguished road

So there is enough meat in the nutplate for a 10mm helicoil? I didn't expect it to be that wide. Good to know.

I just did very close to the same thing, but used SAE threaded bolts, 3/8-24 with the nutplate tapped for those. I was worried that I would not have enough meat there, slightly smaller than 10mm ... then a 10mm helicoil ... if someone cuts one off, measure the nutplate for us.
gbynum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Old_Six_Fitty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 2,525
Old_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud of

The 10mm helicoil inserts lasted about a year or so. I sometimes drop the bike and its hard on the footpegs. After that I welded new 10mm nuts inside the peg mount box. Here is the photo sequence that documents this fix. Other members have opted to simply weld the bracket to the frame. I considered that but it seem too easy.

We're gonna put new HD nuts into the little metal bracket mount boxes. Parts: (qty=4) new 10mm grade 10 hex nuts and bolts. Welder and sawzall, drill & bits, hammer, chisel, wrenches, damp rag to catch sparks/spatter.

1. We need to open up the boxes. Mark the box along the bottom and cut open with sawzall -
we're just gonna cut across the bottom of the box.

2. Now we need to bend bottom section up to open box. I used a small $50 torch from homedepot.
Heat the edge to orange-red and bend open using pry bar or large screwdriver.

3. Inside of box are the two oem nuts. Mine had been helicoiled, but those tore out.
Take the chisel and hammer, and knock off those oem nuts.

4. Drill out peg mount brackets for 10mm bolts, and size everything up for mounting.

5. Mount the bracket up to the box with the new nuts and bolts. Get it aligned properly,
and then tack weld the nuts inside the box so that they cannot come loose.
Be careful not to weld the bolts or screw up the bolt threads.

6. When the new nuts are firmly welded into the box, its then time to close up the box.
Again, heat edge to orange-red and bend box closed using hammer.

7. Time to seal box closed. Weld up the seam where you had cut it before.
I used 1/8th inch 6011 rod and about ~65 amps.

8. Cleanup the weld, knock off slag and spatter, and then shoot it with rustoleum primer and
some WP101 Siler wheel paint.

Be a pleasure to put your foot down knowing the peg will be there.

1987 KLR650 w/ 685, T-Bob, Eagle Doo, Orange Poser

. . . . . . . . . . and that's NorCal, not Sacto.

Last edited by Old_Six_Fitty; 12-22-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Ford Prefect
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Northern Utah
Postings: 97
Ford Prefect is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Six_Fitty View Post
The 10mm helicoil inserts lasted about a year or so. I sometimes drop the bike and its hard on the footpegs. After that I welded new 10mm nuts inside the peg mount box. Here is the photo sequence that documents this fix. Other members have opted to simply weld the bracket to the frame. I considered that but it seem too easy.

We're gonna put new HD nuts into the little metal bracket mount boxes. Parts: (qty=4) new 10mm grade 10 hex nuts and bolts. Welder and sawzall, drill & bits, hammer, chisel, wrenches, damp rag to catch sparks/spatter.

First I have to give a Big Thanks a lot for the link Wyman, who pointed me to this thread.

I think that is what I will go with. I have a cut wheel for my grinder, and then I can just have my buddy tack in the bolts, and weld it shut again.

He asked me why not just cut the entire thing off and weld it back on. Other than being rather close to the swing arm bolt I did not have a good answer for him. What do yall think?

I think I would rather just leave it as much intact as possible, but if taking the entire thing off is better...

Also, is the braket the original stock version, and then the DR650 peg bolted right up to that then? How hard was it to source those pegs? What would you expect I should pay for these things these days? I spent a lot of time in the mud the other day (snow melt in Utah, what can you do!?) and my feet were sliding off like crazy, so I am interested working that solution as well.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Brian
The Muskoka Foundation - Volunteer Programs For Overland Travelers "Use what you know, to do good as you go."
TheMuskokaFoundation.orgFollow us on Twitter: @DoGoodAsYouGo
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
jeff488
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Nacogdoches, TX
Postings: 179
jeff488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Six_Fitty View Post
Other members have opted to simply weld the bracket to the frame. I considered that but it seem too easy.
I think if the peg bracket is welded on, the right side engine cover cannot be removed. My bike's PO welded it so now it needs a proper fix before the oil strainer can be cleaned.
It's always something.
jeff488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
jeff488
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Nacogdoches, TX
Postings: 179
jeff488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff488 View Post
I think if the peg bracket is welded on, the right side engine cover cannot be removed. My bike's PO welded it so now it needs a proper fix before the oil strainer can be cleaned.
It's always something.
Turns out that this is not the case. I tried it and the side cover can be easily removed, at least on the right side.
jeff488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
ozphotog

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: Brisbane AUS
Postings: 382
ozphotog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Footpeg bolts - Fix w/ HELICOIL or WELDING

Both my peg brackets are welded on, but I can get both side covers off with no problem.

Only problem arises if you want to fit a centre stand etc.
1992 KLR650 Tengai (sold)
1984 Suzuki DR600 (Sold)
Brisbane QLD Australia
ozphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
hawkrider
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Sep 2013
Locale: baton rouge,la
Postings: 6
hawkrider is on a distinguished road

I've use helicoil on several different thread repairs including footrest boltholes, seatmounts, and rear carrier bolt holes with no problems, would recomend
getting the 6mm and 8mm sets to start. They are well worth the money. I have 3 KLR 650's and have done repairs on all of them.. at some point you will have to do thread repairs on these bikes
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,285
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

looks to me like putting a few stitch welds on the footpeg mount to the box would be the simplest and easiest option then.

2 cents,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Totaled108
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2014
Locale: Portland, Oregon
Postings: 80
Totaled108 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
looks to me like putting a few stitch welds on the footpeg mount to the box would be the simplest and easiest option then.

2 cents,
Dave
After reading this thread and thinking about it, this seems to be the best option. If all the bike parts can be worked on with the peg arms on, welding them on might be best. Since you will need the equipment anyways to put new nuts in.

Nice work with theses write ups though.

Last edited by Totaled108; 02-07-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Totaled108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Norm
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Aug 2005
Locale: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Postings: 1,891
Norm is on a distinguished road

Three excellently documented solutions. Great stuff which should help someone investigating solutions to weigh the possibilities. I've used all three depending on the situation as well as helping a machinist friend who made steel blocks which were inserted rather than to use nuts inside the box. He's really cranky about how things are done and I suspect that his KLR will be dug up by archaeologists with his repairs being the only parts which survive. ;)

One suggestion regarding the procedure was that the torque wrench step was left out. Industry studies indicate that we aren't accurate in tightening which results in small fasteners being over tightened with larger ones under tightened. Under tightening will result in broken bolts because the bolts will react more to the stresses. Many bolts break because they are corroded and so tightening resulted in too much of the torque being required to turn against friction which resulted in less tension. The General Motors study referenced in the "Fastener Facts" which is stickied explains this effect although any engineering appreciation will go into more detail.

Reminds me that I didn't record whether Loctited and torqued the ones on my present KLR. (Forehead smack as can't recall whether it was done)

Thanks for the reminder!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
rwb
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: ohio
Postings: 2
rwb is on a distinguished road

I just stripped the nuts on the foot peg, way to easy to do! I was installing a center stand, which is a mistake on my part, not worth the extra weight added to bike and it will drag at times.
I am not a welder so I drilled and grounded a small oval opening in the bottom of the foot peg mount, not the frame. I then chased the original threads. Bought grade 8 bolts a little longer and nuts, then slid the new nuts behind the original (between frame and old nuts a little tricky) loctite and tighten them down through both nuts, painted the opening. Holding so far, Kawasaki could upgrade these mounts, this will be a concern while riding. May have welded if I see any issues.
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Wranglknobbie

Locale: Central WA.
Postings: 430
Wranglknobbie is on a distinguished road

I'm going to try OEM sized inserts first (8MMX1.25), if that gives in in the next year I think I'm just going to weld them on. I have all the tools for that. If I need to I can simply cut them off. I have a worn out center stand that I took off and I'm thinking of not putting it back on anyway. As was stated earlier, it flops around underneath a lot, hangs up on things and crap gets on it and rattles going down the road. I doubt seriously that I'll miss it much.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Hvymax
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2016
Locale: Southern Maryland
Postings: 95
Hvymax is on a distinguished road

I think Kawasaki is using the same metal as Kazuma!!! I should have read a little more.
Hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
Wranglknobbie

Locale: Central WA.
Postings: 430
Wranglknobbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wranglknobbie View Post
I'm going to try OEM sized inserts first (8MMX1.25), if that gives in in the next year I think I'm just going to weld them on. I have all the tools for that. If I need to I can simply cut them off. I have a worn out center stand that I took off and I'm thinking of not putting it back on anyway. As was stated earlier, it flops around underneath a lot, hangs up on things and crap gets on it and rattles going down the road. I doubt seriously that I'll miss it much.
Two years and 7 months later and my crappy Helicoil inserts are still holding up to my 250+ pound arse!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 AM   #17
Hvymax
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2016
Locale: Southern Maryland
Postings: 95
Hvymax is on a distinguished road

Another option would be to fill the bolt holes out with weld then drill and tap. I will be welding the brackets and killing the bolts with weld as well. Pegs coming off on landing can get you killed!!!
Hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
bolts, fix, footpeg, helicoil, w or, welding