SiteLock
KLR 719 Kit Anyone? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Premium Advertisers > Eagle Mfg & Eng
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Eagle Mfg & Eng Click the banner to purchase! QUALITY. MADE IN USA! Forum operated by Eaglemike

Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
TravelingGnome
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: United States
Postings: 44
TravelingGnome is on a distinguished road
Default KLR 719 Kit Anyone?

Anyone out there have the 719 kit installed yet? Looking for comments and thoughts as I am toying with the idea but can't seem to find any info online...
TravelingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Cleveland, TN
Postings: 2,449
cherokee_chuck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLR 719 Kit Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingGnome View Post
Anyone out there have the 719 kit installed yet? Looking for comments and thoughts as I am toying with the idea but can't seem to find any info online...
I have everything ready for the 719........I was doing a complete tear down (including engine, body, etc) of my '95 (got newer model cylinder) over the summer, but decided to not rush everything, trying to get ready for our Fall rides. I bought a street legal KLX650R to enjoy through the fall and finish working on the KLR during the winter. I will let you know how things go.

Keep Loving Rides!
cherokee_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
troop

Super Cool Since: Jun 2013
Locale: Wisconsin
Postings: 704
troop is on a distinguished road

Curious minds still want to know
2012 blue/white KLR #297 with: KLX needle kit/de-snorkeled,L mod with Uni vent caps/T-Bob/17t cs and AI block off/Free mod/Eibach shock spring/Anakee 3 tires/SS braided brake lines/heated grips.... Next: Indian Scout in black smoke
troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

The 719 kit is installed (along with other goodies). I am hoping to have the bike running in the next 2 weeks! Will post up after the break-in period!

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Good Times
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Too-son
Postings: 4,685
Good Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee_chuck View Post
The 719 kit is installed (along with other goodies). I am hoping to have the bike running in the next 2 weeks! Will post up after the break-in period!
That was a month ago, any updates?
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ
Good Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Alpheus

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: Mineral,VA
Postings: 3,287
Alpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to be installing one when Eagle Mike gets back from where ever he is. I hope all is well...
Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Good Times
Been here a while

Good Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura aboutGood Times has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
I'm going to be installing one when Eagle Mike gets back from where ever he is. I hope all is well...
On your own bike? I'll be interested to see the build thread--what are you going to do to the head?
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Alpheus

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: Mineral,VA
Postings: 3,287
Alpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the roughAlpheus is a jewel in the rough

No. I'm doing it for a fellow NOVA KLR owner.

It's up to him if I do a build thread. I'll run it by him.

Nothing special to the head. Just making sure everything is in spec, lapping the valves and replacing the seals. (hopefully)

Already ran into problems. I was just removing the old doohickey and I found that someone already tried once before and failed. The puller threads are completely stripped clean on the flywheel.

I have a trick up my sleeve for that dilemma...

Last edited by Alpheus; 04-19-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Alpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Adverb

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Charlotte, NC
Postings: 15
Adverb is on a distinguished road

I'm taking my bike in on Monday to start the install of a 719, port and polish, and other things on a 2008. I'll report back as soon as have anything to report.
Adverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Good Times
Been here a while

I've had my 719 kit in for a month. Pretty much done with the breakin, but still need to get more miles on it to realize full benefits.

It runs GOOD!
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
travisn000
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2012
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 187
travisn000 is on a distinguished road

any more details? ...seems everyone with the 719 wants to keep the outcome a secret!

Winter is here, talk me into it... differences, pro's, cons of this vs 685, 705, buying a bigger bike...

travisn000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Good Times
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisn000 View Post
any more details? ...seems everyone with the 719 wants to keep the outcome a secret!

Winter is here, talk me into it... differences, pro's, cons of this vs 685, 705, buying a bigger bike...

Posted in Maintenance and Mods:
I did the 719, it's great! Haven't dyno'd, but my guess would be that it's a 10 or 12 hp bump. My impression is that it's not a smooth as the 685 was, but still pretty good. Out on the Interstate, it will cruise at 85 mph, and has power to accelerate fairly quickly to 95 or so. Torque is better. And at those speeds, oil usage is non detectable.

What you would do is send EM a cylinder and a sleeve (available from Schnitz Racing, last I checked.) EM will remove the stock sleeve, clearance the space between the cylinder and the new sleeve (improves cooling,) install the new sleeve with new o'rings, have it bored to 719 and deck the top of the assembly. For the money you would spend on the kit, you will get a piston and wrist pin, pin clips, rings, 2 base gaskets, a cam tensioner gasket, and a properly sized head gasket. The base gaskets are .010 & .020 inches, the thinner one will increase c.r. to 10:1. Both base gaskets are steel instead of paper.

Costs (approx.) $150 for the sleeve, $325 for the piston kit, about $100 for machine shop & assembly work, $25 for shipping back to you. You should get a tube of Loctite 515 which will be another $15. When I did mine, I did a valve adjustment (no cost,) and a Thermobob 2 from Wattman $125. I also did the EM KLX jet kit. Rejetting is not really necessary, tho.

If you have any questions, don't PM. Post them up here so anyone interested can share.
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ
Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
NDTransplant

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Casa Grande, AZ
Postings: 676
NDTransplant is on a distinguished road

So Brian, you are suggesting that with a 719 and head work a guy could run OEM carb settings?

One thing I've really appreciated with the KLR is it runs well at 1500 ft and at 8000 ft. (Well, 'runs well'...lol)

I didn't find that to be the case with the KLX needle I had in my 2009. It was puking it's guts out at 5,000 ft. Maybe it was jetted too rich to start with; I don't remember what I had it set at...
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
Good Times
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
So Brian, you are suggesting that with a 719 and head work a guy could run OEM carb settings?

One thing I've really appreciated with the KLR is it runs well at 1500 ft and at 8000 ft. (Well, 'runs well'...lol)

I didn't find that to be the case with the KLX needle I had in my 2009. It was puking it's guts out at 5,000 ft. Maybe it was jetted too rich to start with; I don't remember what I had it set at...
I had a Transalp with Dyinojet kits. Fine up to 5000 ft, but up to about 6500, and it would start to run like total crap. Went back to stock needles and jets and it was all better. Kinda made me biased against dyinojet products!

Yes, my suspicion. & hope. & suggestion. The CVK 40 is pretty flexible. If your carb was puking above 5K, I'd guess that it was jetted too rich. Before I did the klx, I was running .22 mod, stock needle, 2 washers, and a 145 main with no problems even up on top of Mt. Lemmon (8000+ ft.)

EM's kit give some choices, but short of borrowing Chuck B's A/F meter setup, it's all guesswork. With the A/F meter, it's still kinda confusing--but if one can take the time and figure it out it gives pretty good results.
'98 DR350SE (Beauty)
'01 Por-sha! Boxster
Tucson AZ
Old 12-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
NDTransplant

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Casa Grande, AZ
Postings: 676
NDTransplant is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Maybe I'll start the Bored-Out-Cylinder-With-OEM-Carb Club.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 AM   #16
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

I am very sorry for not getting back to this thread. (Could blame it on age.....but I am just 45...). While I was doing a complete tear down of the bike so I could re-paint my '95, I had put in the 719 ('08 cylinder), head work, Hot cams, stainless valves (stock size), dynojet carb kit, and Heavy Duty springs for clutch. The guy that did my installation has done several 685s and has had a lot of luck running engine ice and no thermostat.....so I tried it and it seems to run well that way. My airbox was a virgin, with absolutely nothing done to it.....not even the snorkel taken out. So, the snorkel is out and I drilled several 1" diameter holes in the top and sides of the box. I use the UNI 1" insert filters.
Good Times......it's good to hear of your bike's conversion..........and I agree with you on your thoughts. My friends 685 is smoother, but even he said that the torque is much more noticeable with the 719. I run 16/43 sprockets, and it is still so strong!

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #17
KORKE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Postings: 238
KORKE is on a distinguished road

Hello comrades: on this subject I can only contribute to say that I live in Buenos Aires and I had buy recently to Mike the 719 piston and the special sleeve. It will take a little to arrival but I have no urgency. It is necessary and important for my to clarify that this decision is not related to any mechanical emergency. Simply I will do it to give me a taste, and also assuming that I will have in addition a gain of some extra performance with the upgrade.
For this project I have acquired an additional Gen2 cylinder (and a good head) on which I will make the new installation preserving my original cylinder just in case back to the 651. I must say that a good partner of this Forum, by private line, has given me details of his experience with the 719 and has encouraged to take the step forward.
Finally as soon as I complete my installation and have earned some thousands of kilometres I will commit my conclusions.
Best regards from the South.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
Jimmycondoms
On Vacation! :)

Super Cool Since: May 2015
Locale: Las Vegas,NV
Postings: 608
Jimmycondoms is on a distinguished road

im getting to pull the trigger on the kit also. just seeing how people like it.

plus im still looking for someone to help me thru the install locally in SoCal.
Jimmycondoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #19
Racerorr82
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2015
Locale: East Tennessee
Postings: 52
Racerorr82 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone done the 685 kit or bigger and moved the exhaust cam 1 tooth?
Racerorr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,840
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerorr82 View Post
Has anyone done the 685 kit or bigger and moved the exhaust cam 1 tooth?
I'd definitely do it on a gen2. After market piston kits are unrelated to the MC Mod.
Sponsored links

Tags
719, bearings, engine, gasket, horsepower, kit, klr, klr650, piston, rings, rod, stroker, torque