SiteLock
Took Africa Twin Demo Ride. Keeping KLR. - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #61
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 999
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Took Africa Twin Demo Ride. Keeping KLR.

As I tell my riding buddies “dual sport bikes lead hard lives.” They get scratched, they get dumped, they get dinged. But they also take you on amazing journeys.

Look at those scratches, dings, and dents as badges of honor and trail cred.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Totaled. Sniff)
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #62
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,602
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
+1 to everything phdatsun posted.

I loved my Gen 2 but I love my AT even more.

If I go back to a KLR, it will be a project Gen 1. That sounds like fun.

I need something in my garage to get through the winter and I would love to one-up Dave Pelletier.

I could see myself dumping a stupid amount of cash in a Gen 1 on things like Excel rims, Showa forks, EagleMike big bore kit, etc.....and I would do it just to say I have a nicer Gen 1 than Dave.

Even worse, it would never get dirty, cuz I have no skills. But I would post dozens of pics of this dream Gen 1, just to drive him nuts......I'm going to do it.

.....LOL, Bring it on!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #63
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How about this one? Nice bright green 2006. Only 6k on the clock.....and it's in Prescott AZ.
I suppose if you have to start with such a high mileage bike!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #64
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I can appreciate not feeling all warm and fuzzy about scratching up a brand new, expensive motorcycle.....but you do need to get over it and ride it as it was intended.

Unlike some others here, I keep my bike shiney and clean......I like it that way and being clean greatly enhances the maintenance experience and helps you find problems before they happen. Some of the "it's a KLR, why wash it" guys are joking, some aren't.....but if I'm going to trust my bike to bring me back from BFN, then I want to have complete faith in it's maintenance and condition.

I ride my KLR's hard......but I wash it when I'm done and if something gets broken, it gets fixed....I may even swap out something just for looking ugly. In fact, I have a brand new cowl/headlight cover sitting on the shelf for my 2001.

Here's a pic of my race bike; it looked the same the first race as it did the last race and trust me, it hit the ground dozens of times:

cheers,
Dave
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #65
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,253
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Couldn't agree more, with one exception. I have ZERO worry about damaging my DS or ADV bikes......but I have a fairly well placed fear of damaging me.

I take pretty good care of myself. I'm a big guy but I work out hard every other day....My routine is boring and old school....20 minutes of cardio, 3 sets of pushups, situps and pullups. Then I stretch. Regardless, the years of abuse and some crappy genetics have left me with 3 lower back surgeries, a neck that needs surgery, and I am scheduled to have hand and wrist surgery the 1st week of Dec. So bottom line, I feel that I must be careful or my riding could come to a complete end.

Combine the physical issues with my lack of skill and I have decided that I am going to be more of an ADV rider than a dual sport rider. I have become quite comfortable on gravel......I am told Iowa has more miles of gravel roads than any other state......So my plans for the AT involve nothing more than gravel. In fact, my plans for riding any bike over 350lbs will involve nothing more than gravel and fire roads.

Once again, I do like the idea of getting a WR to load in the back of a trailer and take to CO to ride up some of those beautiful trails. But I have decided there is no way I am gong to try that on a KLR or an AT.

I am planning a few long adventures on my AT, including a ride on the Top of The World Highway........but based on the videos and stories I have read, that ride has been done on a Goldwing. Just gravel and at times muddy roads. I can handle that.

"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #66
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I can appreciate not feeling all warm and fuzzy about scratching up a brand new, expensive motorcycle.....but you do need to get over it and ride it as it was intended.

Unlike some others here, I keep my bike shiney and clean......I like it that way and being clean greatly enhances the maintenance experience and helps you find problems before they happen. Some of the "it's a KLR, why wash it" guys are joking, some aren't.....but if I'm going to trust my bike to bring me back from BFN, then I want to have complete faith in it's maintenance and condition.

I ride my KLR's hard......but I wash it when I'm done and if something gets broken, it gets fixed....I may even swap out something just for looking ugly. In fact, I have a brand new cowl/headlight cover sitting on the shelf for my 2001.

Here's a pic of my race bike; it looked the same the first race as it did the last race and trust me, it hit the ground dozens of times:

cheers,
Dave
I'm with you on the repairs and maintenance. I dropped my KLR a few times and I even dumped my new Scrambler not long after getting it all prettied up......But I always put them back to like-new condition. I'm just not happy with damaged goods. New parts and a little paint and she's back to being pretty again.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #67
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I suppose if you have to start with such a high mileage bike!

Dave

I was hoping you'd take the bait. I miss sparring with you guys. I need to come back here from time to time just to get my fix.

There is NO QUESTION.....The KLR community is like no other. Simply the best!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #68
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:

I was hoping you'd take the bait. I miss sparring with you guys. I need to come back here from time to time just to get my fix.

There is NO QUESTION.....The KLR community is like no other. Simply the best!

We miss you too!,,,,,group hug!

Dave
Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #69
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,850
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Will the 'real men' please come forward and post something manly? Group hugs?

Some of you may know I have a Ram SRT10 that I purchased new to match my Viper. Once I got it home I removed the 'wing' and it spent the next 7-8yrs as my work truck. Many thought I was crazy hauling loads, pulling trailers and running down dirt roads to races with dirt bikes. It was a truck but a fun truck. 170K miles later it was showing its wear and tear. I parked it for a good 4yrs. I sold the Viper and was going to sell the truck but decided to get it cleaned up and looking new. After nearly a year in various shops getting mechanical and fresh paint I just brought it home on Monday with the wing installed. Body shop asked me what I was going to do with it. He was thinking local car shows etc as I paid quite a bit extra for final sanding polishing of the clear coat. He just shook his head when I told him I was going to throw a cover over it and park it in the corner of my garage. Its now my garage queen and will take it out on occasion to enjoy. My Honda Rune is my first bike garage queen. My Honda GB500 will be my next garage queen once I restore it. Must be an age thing...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #70
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

maybe so; my Superbee had a whopping 140 miles on the rotisserie restoration when I sold it....my wife called it "garage art". I'm not so bad with the Jag but it still gets relatively few miles and is treated to the full "royal treatment".

Dave
Old 10-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #71
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 999
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough

Ride ‘em or drive ‘em; don’t hide ‘em.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Totaled. Sniff)
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #72
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
Ride ‘em or drive ‘em; don’t hide ‘em.
I have a friend that has an extensive car collection including many 7 figure cars.... He told me a story about the time someone came to view his private collection and promptly jumped behind the wheel of a 3100 original mile Hemicuda asking "how does it drive?" .....my buddy responded calmly that he had never even sat in that car!

.....a waste to some, no doubt, but his cars are either very rare or unique "one of one" cars so I applaud his efforts to keep them as time capsules and for others to enjoy viewing.....though I wouldn't be able to do it myself. ....well, maybe if I had the number of cars he does I could!

cheers,
Dave

Tags
africa, demo, keeping, klr, ride, twin