SiteLock
KLX Needle Kit - Question about Main Jet - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #21
tomm9050
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2016
Locale: So Cal
Postings: 41
tomm9050 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLX Needle Kit - Question about Main Jet

OK, EM KLX needle installed, 2nd clip, 142 main, no shim, 1 3/4 mix screw, Drilled lift hole 7/64, Uni filter, drilled two 1" holes in the air box door which line up with the vent in the side cover (I can plug the holes with plastic insert pugs if nec.) It started right up, and idles well, a bit of back firing on closing the throttle, but that might be low octane, old gas? Thanks, EM!
tomm9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:48 AM   #22
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,694
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm9050 View Post
OK, EM KLX needle installed, 2nd clip, 142 main, no shim, 1 3/4 mix screw, Drilled lift hole 7/64, Uni filter, drilled two 1" holes in the air box door which line up with the vent in the side cover (I can plug the holes with plastic insert pugs if nec.) It started right up, and idles well, a bit of back firing on closing the throttle, but that might be low octane, old gas? Thanks, EM!
What year bike? All Gen2's have AIS...decel pops is normal and engineered to occur.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,459
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Sometimes people close the throttle rapidly while the bike is sitting still. This creates and artificial condition. Popping can occur, hurts and means nothing. If decel enricher circuit is plugged by ethanol from sitting, popping can occur. If exhaust leak, popping can occur. As Chuck noted above, AIS contributes to popping. Brand new fuel injected BMW car makes serious power, pops on decel. Means nada.......

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #24
PapaToe
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 99
PapaToe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
"Starting settings stock bike : 140 main, 1 shim under clip, clip 2nd groove from top, idle mix screw 1-3/4 turns from seated, brass washer on top of clip."

"Alternate : 142 main, no washer"
So I now have the starting settings; 140 main, 1 shim under clip, clip 2nd groove, washer on top, with the idle mix screw slightly less turned-out (maybe 1-11/16).

I realize now the setup I had before - 142 main With the washer - was not following the instructions.

The bike is starting and running noticeably smoother than it was. It's also requiring less choke then previous, and warming up to where I can fully disengage the choke faster. My experience is not a great test as I also pulled the snorkle at the same time; so how much of what I'm observing is from the changes to the carb vs getting more air??

The other observation and I'm less confident about this, is that it feels like the acceleration is not quite what it was with the 142. Not sure if that is real or imagined, but is what I would expect.

Haven't ridden enough yet to determine any impact to fuel consumption. I'm about to take off on a 6-day trip and will report back on the mpg I get.
PapaToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Main jet only comes into play at 1/2 throttle and above. Remember, just because you twist the throttle to 1/2 way or more doesn't mean the slide is at half way or more. Off idle and 1/4 throttle is pilot jet, fuel screw and if the needle is shimmed.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #26
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaToe View Post
So I now have the starting settings; 140 main, 1 shim under clip, clip 2nd groove, washer on top, with the idle mix screw slightly less turned-out (maybe 1-11/16).

I realize now the setup I had before - 142 main With the washer - was not following the instructions.

The bike is starting and running noticeably smoother than it was. It's also requiring less choke then previous, and warming up to where I can fully disengage the choke faster. My experience is not a great test as I also pulled the snorkle at the same time; so how much of what I'm observing is from the changes to the carb vs getting more air??

The other observation and I'm less confident about this, is that it feels like the acceleration is not quite what it was with the 142. Not sure if that is real or imagined, but is what I would expect.

Haven't ridden enough yet to determine any impact to fuel consumption. I'm about to take off on a 6-day trip and will report back on the mpg I get.
Snorkel is supposed to be out, with the KLX kit. If you were running with snorkel in, and 142 w/shim, kinda too rich...... at least w stock exhaust.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #27
PapaToe
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm9050 View Post
Ok, found the snorkel, what's the trick to removing it? Do you need to remove the air box? Thanks
Just an FYI (on 2015 bikes at least): From my experience the snorkel is pretty stubborn, and not easy to remove. I found that heating it up made it a lot more pliable and easier to remove. Take a hair dryer to it for a few minutes, or park it in the sun. The rubber is stiff at room temps but softens up when you get it warm.

Photo of my snorkle after pulling

Last edited by PapaToe; 09-10-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #28
PapaToe
A Regular

Just returned from my trip, and wanted to share the observations:

I went over 1k miles, fully loaded, about 60/40 on/off road in rough terrain in the tri-state corners region of OR, CA & NV. Overall I averaged about 48 mpg and the bike performed well. I like the standard setting on the KLX kit and will leave it there for now: "140 main, 1 shim under clip, clip 2nd groove from top, idle mix screw 1-3/4 turns from seated, brass washer on top of clip."

I'm happy with all of the EM mods I've done, including the drill-through kit -- I'll post my thoughts on that one soon..
Old 09-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #29
Hvymax
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2016
Locale: Southern Maryland
Postings: 101
Hvymax is on a distinguished road

At 6000 miles my 2015 was getting sluggish and starving for fuel at the top end. Eagle Mike to the rescue!!! I replaced the petcock, spark plug and air filter and added a fuel filter and the KLX kit. I went with the 142 and no shim per the directions. I chopped the top of the air box and am running a minigun glasspack muffler. It got 40mpg on it's best stock day and had been mid 30's lately. Holy Crap I didn't know a KLR was capable of this!!! It pushes for redline in the first 4 gears. 0-80 is actually semi quick!!! I can pass with confidence now!!! It works it's way into the 90's where things start to feel sketchy. I'm so pissed I didn't do this first!!!
Hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #30
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 361
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvymax View Post
At 6000 miles my 2015 was getting sluggish and starving for fuel at the top end. Eagle Mike to the rescue!!! I replaced the petcock, spark plug and air filter and added a fuel filter and the KLX kit. I went with the 142 and no shim per the directions. I chopped the top of the air box and am running a minigun glasspack muffler. It got 40mpg on it's best stock day and had been mid 30's lately. Holy Crap I didn't know a KLR was capable of this!!! It pushes for redline in the first 4 gears. 0-80 is actually semi quick!!! I can pass with confidence now!!! It works it's way into the 90's where things start to feel sketchy. I'm so pissed I didn't do this first!!!
I get 60 with the KLX kit if I behave and stay under 45 mph. I live by Interstate 10, so 75-85 mph gets me about 45 mpg.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
I get 60 with the KLX kit if I behave and stay under 45 mph. I live by Interstate 10, so 75-85 mph gets me about 45 mpg.
That ain't bad! KLR is draggy, above 70 mpg often goes kerplunk.......
Proper tire pressure for street helps, good chain condition helps, proper valve clearance helps, it all adds up.

Be your own KLR650 GURU!

Last edited by Eaglemike; 10-01-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #32
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 361
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemike View Post
That ain't bad! KLR is draggy, above 70 mpg often goes kerplunk.......
Proper tire pressure for street helps, good chain condition helps, proper valve clearance helps, it all adds up.
Mine jumps from 75 to 85 in just a few seconds with a twist of the wrist... handy for getting out of bunched up traffic.

I was on autopilot going to work last week. I did one of those bursts at 5 am in the HOV lane to settle into an open space. I didnt back off much. I look over to my right and there's a highway patrol bike pacing me. I look down... 83 in a 65. I nodded, waved, and backed off. Very cool of him to let me go with a glare. Lol

Let's count up the EM parts that allows this kind of top end AND efficiency. Lol

Mike, do you think the KLR typically falls on it's face because of gearing, cc's, or fuel starvation? I've addressed all 3. My bike settles right in at 75.

Last edited by rjmay3; 10-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
rjmay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #33
tomm9050
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2016
Locale: So Cal
Postings: 41
tomm9050 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
What year bike? All Gen2's have AIS...decel pops is normal and engineered to occur.
2015 Gen 2.
tomm9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #34
KLRogu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: AUSTRALIA
Postings: 247
KLRogu is on a distinguished road

What is a sniffer you guys refer to a lot a dyno ?
KLRogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #35
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 927
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

Air / Fuel ratio meter, that measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust side by means of a Lambda probe.

amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-3918-MTX-L-Wideband/dp/B071RSKR4Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507878879&sr=8-1&keywords=innovate+3844
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #36
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I use the Innovate Motorsports LM2 as my sniffer along with a wide band O2.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #37
Pollack

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: In Transit
Postings: 356
Pollack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Typically, folks report 3 to 5mpg difference with 142/KLX 2nd clip. On a KLR your right wrist has the greatest influence. Those wanting MPG back I'll jet using a 140 but will shim the needle so its in position 2.5. Depending on your summer time temps, bike, quality of fuel, additives etc you may need to run premium in summer.

I have the 142 in and it runs great, but I get 40 mpg. I have a 140 that can be put in, but I don't understand the 2.5 position. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Best regards,
Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 927
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
I have the 142 in and it runs great, but I get 40 mpg. I have a 140 that can be put in, but I don't understand the 2.5 position. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Best regards,
https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #39
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,425
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
Wow!

I have a 2012 and get on average 43 mpg. The KLX jet kit is installed with a 140 main jet and the clip is installed in the second groove from the top with a 0.013" thick washer.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #40
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

MPG depends on several things, not just the jet kit. Proper valve adjustment, clean air filter, chain in good condition, good tires with proper pressure for riding conditions, speed you are riding, and most importantly the right wrist twist (this affects speed of course).

Running proper street pressures on the street can give you a few mpg right there, and the tires will last longer (if that is important to you)

Be your own KLR650 GURU!

Tags
jet, kit, klx, main, needle, question