SiteLock
Calgary Dealerships - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Alberta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Berghain

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Victoria
Postings: 18
Berghain is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary Dealerships

Hi all! New to the forum, and new to riding altogether. I'm planning on buying a KLR in the next couple weeks and was wondering about your experiences with dealerships in Calgary. I'm reluctant to go to a dealership, but I'm really into the idea of a brand new black 2011/2012. I've done sooo much research on KLRs already and think the Gen 2 would fit me best.

Going by websites alone, it seems Bowcycle has the best price for the KLR, and from what I've read online, it's to avoid Blackfoot if I can. I also haven't heard much about Pro-am...

Is it better to finance or to bring in cash and get a deal? I've never done that before, and wonder how significant of a difference the price would be if I paid cash vs. financing and if it's even worth it.

Any advice? Thanks!
Berghain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
ridetherockies411
Occasional Poster

Locale: Canada
Postings: 3
ridetherockies411 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calgary Dealerships

hey! I myself am very new as well. I picked up a 2011 from bowcycle on the 20th. Ray was the sales person. The guy is great! Helped me out lots and knows his stuff. The price they have them on for is exceptional. $6000 out the door is a great deal in my opinion. I dont think they will budge on the price at all with the cash offer. I was out on the bike all weekend and love it! Did a little bit of trail riding around bragg creek area and the bike is fun! handles suprisingly well on the highway too.....anyways hope this helps!
ridetherockies411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Klrian
On Vacation! :)
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Crowsnest Pass, Alberta
Postings: 53
Klrian is on a distinguished road

I know 3 guys here in the Pass that bought 2011 KLRs from Bow Cycle for $5900 out the door. Great price and they liked the dealership. One had been to Blackfoot to buy 2 bikes and left because the salesman was such a jerk. I have had terrible experiences with Blackfoot and will never set foot in the place again.
Klrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
cdnarcher

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Airdrie, Alberta
Postings: 19
cdnarcher is on a distinguished road

I bought my 2011 in March from Pro-Am, and they beat the $6000 out the door deal from Bow. They treated me right, that is for sure.
cdnarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2010
Locale: Calgary, AB
Postings: 913
NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berghain View Post
Hi all! New to the forum, and new to riding altogether. I'm planning on buying a KLR in the next couple weeks and was wondering about your experiences with dealerships in Calgary. I'm reluctant to go to a dealership, but I'm really into the idea of a brand new black 2011/2012. I've done sooo much research on KLRs already and think the Gen 2 would fit me best.

Going by websites alone, it seems Bowcycle has the best price for the KLR, and from what I've read online, it's to avoid Blackfoot if I can. I also haven't heard much about Pro-am...

Is it better to finance or to bring in cash and get a deal? I've never done that before, and wonder how significant of a difference the price would be if I paid cash vs. financing and if it's even worth it.

Any advice? Thanks!
I bought my '05 KLR used from ProAm - they sold it to the original owner who had only put about 6,000km onto the clock. If you go through the Kawasaki "finance-plan" you are dealing with HSBC, doesn't matter what dealer you work with. If you have the cash or can convince your bank to loan you the money, I probably would do that instead. I still haven't received my "title-release" papers from HSBC and my bike has been "paid-off" almost a whole year now.

Shiny Red 2005 KLR with lots of goodies
Olive Green 1995 KLR with lots of paint
NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
cdnarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
I bought my '05 KLR used from ProAm - they sold it to the original owner who had only put about 6,000km onto the clock. If you go through the Kawasaki "finance-plan" you are dealing with HSBC, doesn't matter what dealer you work with. If you have the cash or can convince your bank to loan you the money, I probably would do that instead. I still haven't received my "title-release" papers from HSBC and my bike has been "paid-off" almost a whole year now.
They will also finance through National Bank Financial, and a couple of others also, I believe.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Really??

I was told that I didn't have a choice. I was goin' to just buy the bike on my credit-card and I was told that they don't take credit-cards for that kind of purchase so I would have to use their "finance" company which turned out to be HSBC. They never told me that in the beginning, I only found out after I was "approved" through their services ...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Berghain

Thanks for the tips. I intially went to all 3 dealerships to see what they had in stock and for how much. Pro-am had one 2012 left on the floor but told me they could order a 2011, Blackfoot had a 2010 (which was way overpriced) and some 2012s, and Bow Cycle was the only one that still had 2011s. I didn't bother asking how much the 2012s were going for because I knew I couldn't pass up Bow Cycle's $5999 out the door price for the '11s.

So I got one from Bow. All they had left was the orange color. I'm not entirely sold on the orange, but figured I could give it custom paint job during the winter if I don't get used to it.

The guys at Bow Cycle were super friendly and helpful. I got some great gear there too.

Now I just gotta get it insured, registered, and pick it up when it's ready!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
cdnarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berghain View Post
Thanks for the tips. I intially went to all 3 dealerships to see what they had in stock and for how much. Pro-am had one 2012 left on the floor but told me they could order a 2011, Blackfoot had a 2010 (which was way overpriced) and some 2012s, and Bow Cycle was the only one that still had 2011s. I didn't bother asking how much the 2012s were going for because I knew I couldn't pass up Bow Cycle's $5999 out the door price for the '11s.

So I got one from Bow. All they had left was the orange color. I'm not entirely sold on the orange, but figured I could give it custom paint job during the winter if I don't get used to it.

The guys at Bow Cycle were super friendly and helpful. I got some great gear there too.

Now I just gotta get it insured, registered, and pick it up when it's ready!
Congrats Man! I also have the '11 in orange. I like it. Let the farkleing begin!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Zoodio
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Calgary Alberta
Postings: 99
Zoodio is on a distinguished road

Bow Cycle hands down for price and the service is good.
2012 VStrom 650 ABS
Zoodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Berghain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnarcher View Post
Congrats Man! I also have the '11 in orange. I like it. Let the farkleing begin!

Thought I'd throw in an update since last year when I bought my bike.

I didn't like the orange so I went military over the winter. 4500 kms since buying it in April. Farkles:

SW motech engine guards and skid plate
Bajaworks windscreen
Oxford heated grips
Moose Racing Luggage Rack with Pelican 1550s
K&N Air Filter
16 Tooth Sprocket
Heidenau K60 scouts (not installed yet, still have some tread on stock rubbers)

Farkle I want: New seat!!! Long rides are killer in the stock seat.

Everything installed mostly thanks to the advice on this site! Loving the KLR and the places it decides to take me. See you on the trails.
In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame. On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. -Robert Pirsig
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
krb7951
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 64
krb7951 is on a distinguished road

Nice.....
what paint did you use, and how well did it 'stick'
Ive been toying with the idea of painting mine flat black, but am wondering about durability.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
BullseyeKLR
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2012
Locale: Central Alberta
Postings: 52
BullseyeKLR is on a distinguished road

Looks good !!!!

How do you like your Bajaworks windscreen ???

I just got my KLR in Dec and finally rode it last week !!! Thinking about a few upgrades!! (Have a few on order, my farkleing is about to begin !! LOL)
BullseyeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Berghain

I used Krylon Fusion camo paint, and used 5 cans for 5 coats. I sprayed adhesion promoter prior to applying as well. It's sticking well now, but I haven't taken it out yet since painting. The prep work of cleaning and sanding is probably the most important part of the process in terms of durability. Benefit of painting it matte with cans is that touch ups are super easy.

I love the Bajaworks windscreen, huge improvement over stock. Easy to install, and looks inconspicuous compared to other windscreens. Although I'm 6'1", and I need to crouch an inch or two for the wind to completely get redirected over my helmet.
In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame. On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. -Robert Pirsig
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Very nice color!!!

Will we be able to see it in person at the April Calgary KLR Club meeting?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
KLR2Sundre
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Gunnison, CO
Postings: 89
KLR2Sundre is on a distinguished road

That looks great. Would love to know how you treated the plastics and painted.

If you are looking for a seat in Calgary area I recommend Powersport Seats. It is run by Andrea Briggs (Mike Briggs runs Performance Cycle). She is putting some gel in mine right now. Great rep and street cred in the area and she will tune it to your size, weight and riding style. Still cheaper than ordering a Sargent or Seat Concepts, especially given the freight and GST that we Canucks have the privilege of paying. I've ridden a couple that she has done and they are great. I haven't put in a long haul on one so can't vouch yet. Will post a note when I get mine on and get some time on it.

https://powersportseats.com//index.htm

Last edited by KLR2Sundre; 03-14-2013 at 07:54 PM.
KLR2Sundre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
calgary, dealerships