SiteLock
Recommend 2 Smoke Rebuilder in Calgary - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Alberta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
KLR_furball
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 978
KLR_furball is on a distinguished road
Default Recommend 2 Smoke Rebuilder in Calgary

Hey all,

I picked up a 250 2 stroke a couple weeks ago and it looks like it may need to have the cases cracked and bottom end rebuilt... heavy suspicion that tranny oil is getting into the crankcase - really smokey and oil spooge at the header, oil spray out the silencer. The piston and cyl don't look to bad but the cyl will at least get honed and a new piston. I was going to do a compression test tonight but not sure where my compression tester is, probably in storage locker.

I'm not above doing it myself, in fact, I would prefer it I just don't have the tools to crack the cases, never even looked at buying them/pricing etc. If they're like a hundred bucks I'll just buy them and do it myself, or if anyone has the tools to lend in return for beer, that would be good too!

The bike has run a couple of times, once the night I bought it and once since I've had it and now I can't get it to run at all. I pulled the carb and cleaned it, check spark, emptied the old fuel out of the tank and replaced with new. I have not checked the reeds yet, When I pull the plug it is wet with oil but still sparks when cranked.

Thanks for any info.

KLR

My Shim Calculator

KLR_furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
KLR_furball
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 978
KLR_furball is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommend 2 Smoke Rebuilder in Calgary

I found everything I need for bottom and top end rebuild at gnarly.ca. Good prices in fact cheaper than the first US site I came across and not to mention exchange rate and duties when crossing the border.

The difference between asking price for the bike and what I offered and paid is what I paid for the tools and parts for the rebuild, minus the piston, don't know which size to order as I haven't pulled the jug yet.

My Shim Calculator

KLR_furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
SOAB_465
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Alberta, Canada
Postings: 28
SOAB_465 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommend 2 Smoke Rebuilder in Calgary

What year/model bike did you get?

Most of the two strokes made in the last 15-20 years have been plated cylinders, so you can't really bore them. You just get a new standard size piston and rings and put them in unless the plating is flaked or cracked, in which case you get it re-plated (I think I got mine done at mongoose machine or somewhere ~$300 if I remember correctly)

The bottom end rebuild is not at all difficult, just make sure to get the transmission all to fall together as you assemble it. If you need any force to make it fit, something is bound up and you'll have serious problems once it's put back together.

I have the splitter, bearing tools and clutch basket holder in Lethbridge if you need to borrow them, I'm going up to Red Deer for a couple days next week and could leave them with you and pick them up on my way back, just let me know.
SOAB_465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
calgary, rebuilder, recommend, smoke