SiteLock
Tech-day in Calgary - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Alberta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2010
Locale: Calgary, AB
Postings: 913
NaeKid is on a distinguished road
Default Tech-day in Calgary

I am wondering if there is going to be a tech-day going on in Calgary before the end of March - if so - I would love to be part of it. I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be installed, and, if possible, I would like to have someone nearby who can make sure that I am doing things right.

If not, I'll do what I can to get all the mods put in myself, but, I would hate to screw something up. I know Jeeps inside and out, motorbikes are a little different.

Shiny Red 2005 KLR with lots of goodies
Olive Green 1995 KLR with lots of paint
NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
IDBLAIR
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: calgary
Postings: 94
IDBLAIR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tech-day in Calgary

I'm in. I need to do a do hickey. My place or urs.
IDBLAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
HAWX
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Southern Alberta, Canada
Postings: 234
HAWX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBLAIR View Post
I'm in. I need to do a do hickey. My place or urs.
Ya me too. I've done pretty well everything now except the doo. Would like someone around that's done one while I attempt it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

The two "big" things I need to do are the Dohickey and my ThermoBob. The "small" things are everything else listed in my signature, but, I am waiting for some quiet-time on my laser before I can make up my WheatWhacker wedge and make some brackets to mount up my USB-power port.

I am watching my mail-box daily to see if any more goodies are showing up, I am hoping that by Friday most (if not all) of it will be here. Saturday I am booked to get a new set of tires installed at Universal Cycle ...

I don't have a garage, so, it means that I am working on the grass in my backyard (don't even have a driveway) ... IDBLAIR, if you have a garage it might be more comfortable at your place ...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
IDBLAIR
A Regular

Certainly a garage. We can get started whenever we can get a date that suits us.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Mile Maker
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Alberta
Postings: 107
Mile Maker is on a distinguished road

Dont be scared of these mods. They arnt too hard.

There are good instructions that come with the Thermo bob. Makes it a no brainer.

I ended up having my local dealer do the doo for me. Long story. I went on a road trip last summer and on the way home my bike felt as if it was vibrating badly. I thought the worst, i thought the doo had failed. Took it in for warranty and they did the doo for me. Had them install an EM doo.

turns out the vibration wasn't the doo. Had more to do with jetting isues. The bike just seemed to run smoother when it was cooler out. As it turns out the combination of a plugged air filter, humility change, and a 15 deg temp rise made the bike run different enough for me to notice. It just didnt purr
(thump) like normal. Yes i am a little anal.
I have since re-jetted, a little richer, and everything's fine.

BTW at 5000 km the doo was ok..... but the spring was a little loose.

I recomend reading the posts. There are some good ones. As well there are a couple of good you tube videos on it.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

I have my ThermoBob sitting on my computer desk waiting to go onto my bike, just finished mounting my LED lights (thx IdaBiker) tonight and re-checked my 1:1 print-out AutoCAD drawings to make sure that my pieces "should" fit after cutting on the laser and CNC forming .. ran the bike for a while to make sure that everything is fine and found that my choke is sticking - I had to hold the choke-lever in place to get it to start - it felt like a spring was trying to push it back to the normal-run position.

I checked my Clymer and it looks like there is a spring inside the carb-area that the cable goes to, so, now it looks like I might have to pull something apart and make sure that it is lube'd up properly (choke-plunger is what it looks like it is called in the Clymer).

Have you guys had any issues with this previously - or - should I ask in the main forum as well?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
HAWX
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
The two "big" things I need to do are the Dohickey and my ThermoBob. The "small" things are everything else listed in my signature, but, I am waiting for some quiet-time on my laser before I can make up my WheatWhacker wedge and make some brackets to mount up my USB-power port.
I just did my thermo-bob last night and it's not hard at all. It's labour intensive to take all the bike apart but even that's not "hard". I took my time. I ordered pizza and a 6 pack and just went slowly and methodically and measured 3 times before I cut anything. Don't try to rush through it, but all in all it's easy.

Even the doo doesn't look that hard. I have seen ghotioutofh2o's vid (his is the best) and it doesn't look that bad (of course all the hard work is done off camera)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Mile Maker
A Regular

If i remember correctly, the " choke" is actually an idol enriching circuit. when you move the lever to put the choke on it pulls a plunger that opens a port in the carb. When you move the lever off, the spring pushes the plunger back in to close off the port.
The only think that keeps the choke on is within the choke lever on the handle bar. I would check to make sure that the screws are tight in the lever assembly.

Quote:
I just did my thermo-bob last night and it's not hard at all. It's labour intensive to take all the bike apart but even that's not "hard". I took my time. I ordered pizza and a 6 pack and just went slowly and methodically and measured 3 times before I cut anything. Don't try to rush through it, but all in all it's easy.
It doesn't take very long to remove the front fairings and the tank. Just a few bolts and the fuel line. Only takes 10 minutes. And measure 3 times cut once.
Make sure that the new thermostat doesn't rub on anything. There is a small bracket on the frame to tie everything to with a zip tie.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Maker View Post
If i remember correctly, the " choke" is actually an idol enriching circuit. when you move the lever to put the choke on it pulls a plunger that opens a port in the carb. When you move the lever off, the spring pushes the plunger back in to close off the port.
The only think that keeps the choke on is within the choke lever on the handle bar. I would check to make sure that the screws are tight in the lever assembly.
That's what I thought that I saw when I was reading through my Clymer, but, for some reason, since I parked my bike (late November) and last-night (about 10-weeks) the choke-lever doesn't wanna stay where I want it to be. It wants to be in a "choke-off" position.

I'll be getting my new Shinko 700 series tires installed on Saturday at the shop (Universal), maybe Don (who is a KLR-fanatic) can point me in the direction I need to be looking ..

Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
B73C
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 31
B73C is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I've done 2 ThermoBobs and helped with 2 others, it's pretty straightforward. As mention previously, measure 3x and take it slow, 6-beer job (2hrs).

I'm not in any shape garage-wise to do a techday again, but we'll see what happens closer to spring. We've done lots of work here (7 other KLRs) and I can trailer you here if it comes to that.

We'll talk again closer to April, unless someone else has room before then...
B73C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
IDBLAIR
A Regular

Everyone is welcome at my place. Let me know when and we can get at it!. I have a double car garage.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
HAWX
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by B73C View Post
Hey guys,

I've done 2 ThermoBobs and helped with 2 others, it's pretty straightforward. As mention previously, measure 3x and take it slow, 6-beer job (2hrs).

I'm not in any shape garage-wise to do a techday again, but we'll see what happens closer to spring. We've done lots of work here (7 other KLRs) and I can trailer you here if it comes to that.

We'll talk again closer to April, unless someone else has room before then...
Sweet. You gonna trailer my bike from Lethbridge for me
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

I have a trailer as well for hauling motorbikes with a 1 7/8" ball on it, ramps, tie-down points, etc. If some needs to borrow it, more than welcome to it. It also has standard 4-pole flat wiring harness to connect to your rig ..

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
IDBLAIR
A Regular

I am good anytime other than the end of march at this point. It may be easiest to wait till early April. However if ur in Calgary we can do it any time as the garage is heated.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Crumple Zone
Occasional Poster

Locale: Southeast British Columbia
Postings: 9
Crumple Zone is on a distinguished road

Hi guys i would like to join you if the timing is right for my schedule. I may bring my bike but likely just some beer and lawn chair.
Crumple Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
HAWX
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumple Zone View Post
Hi guys i would like to join you if the timing is right for my schedule. I may bring my bike but likely just some beer and lawn chair.
Don't forget those sweet new mirrors of yours

I'm going on my trip at the end of March/beginning of April, so it will also depend on the scheduling. I'd like to NOT have to buy those EM tools for the doo. If I must I will, but I doubt once people use them they ever get used again.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
Mile Maker
A Regular

I have the flywheel puller tool. I would be willing to drop it in the mail for you guys..... as long as i got it back.

I do not have the wrench, i was going to build one but haven't got around to it yet.

The offset is 7/8" could just cut up an old wrench and weld it back up

rotor-wrenchopening-edit.jpg

rotor-pullerbolt-edit.jpg

Last edited by Mile Maker; 02-06-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Mile Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

I purchased the whole kit to do my Dohickey - puller and wrench ... once I get mine done, I'll have the tools available locally for anyone to borrow as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
IDBLAIR
A Regular

We can use ur's to start. If you want to get started over the next few weeks let me know
Sponsored links

Tags
calgary, techday