SiteLock
Tech-day in Calgary - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Alberta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #61
Ultimate Jayne
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2011
Locale: Calgary, Canada
Postings: 63
Ultimate Jayne is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tech-day in Calgary

Bump!

I'm planning to do my doo on Saturday (May 26th) here in NW Calgary (near SAIT) and it'd be great if anyone wanted to come help, do theirs too or just watch and laugh. I've borrowed the tools from the very helpful NaeKid.

Been discussing this mini tech day on another thread but thought I'd post it here too.

PM me for the address if you're interested.
2006 KLR650 - Done the doo, Thermobob, Nerf bars, Givi topbox, SU Racks, Dirt Bagz boxes, bypassed safeties, Barkbusters, large windshield, heated handgrips, 21 Amp Shorai Battery, Charging station in left pannier, relocated fuses, moved license plate… And more!
Ultimate Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
zizek
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 42
zizek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tech-day in Calgary

is anybody going to be doing a valve check or doo sometime soon? I would like to observe how it's done so when I do it in the future I have a better chance of doing it properly. Or really if anybody is doing any sort of mods/maintenance it would be great if I could see how it's done from someone more experienced.
zizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #63
NaeKid
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2010
Locale: Calgary, AB
Postings: 913
NaeKid is on a distinguished road

For me, all that I am going to do before winter finally hits is fill my tank with fresh fuel, throw in some gasoline stabilizer (available at Canadian Tire, PrincessAuto, AutoValue, PartSource, etc), run the "StaBil" through the carb, flip the petcock to off and let 'er run dry ... pull out the BatteryTender cable and hook 'er up to the solar panel and call it good.

If you wanna do the Doo ... I could probably help you out if you have a garage handy ..

Shiny Red 2005 KLR with lots of goodies
Olive Green 1995 KLR with lots of paint
NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #64
Garin

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Postings: 14
Garin is on a distinguished road

I've got some maintenance/farkling to do, is anyone else interested in a spring tech day?

The list of things I'm hoping to do soon, in order of importance are:

1) New tires installed, front and back (critical, hopefully in the next day or two)

2) Valve check and probably adjustment **

3) Subframe bolt upgrade installation (drill-through type)

4) rear shock replacement (gotta order still)

I have a small garage, and can host a small group, or we can go somewhere else. Tires will be done in the next couple days. The valves and subframe bolts maybe this weekend? Next weekend? They're not critical. The rear shock hasn't been ordered yet, so that's still a few weeks.

I've done a fair bit of farkling and upgrades myself already (including most of the KLR Greatest Hits), so I'm happy to help with whatever else people want to do.
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #65
dbrewerton

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Postings: 613
dbrewerton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garin View Post
I've got some maintenance/farkling to do, is anyone else interested in a spring tech day?

The list of things I'm hoping to do soon, in order of importance are:

1) New tires installed, front and back (critical, hopefully in the next day or two)

2) Valve check and probably adjustment **

3) Subframe bolt upgrade installation (drill-through type)

4) rear shock replacement (gotta order still)

I have a small garage, and can host a small group, or we can go somewhere else. Tires will be done in the next couple days. The valves and subframe bolts maybe this weekend? Next weekend? They're not critical. The rear shock hasn't been ordered yet, so that's still a few weeks.

I've done a fair bit of farkling and upgrades myself already (including most of the KLR Greatest Hits), so I'm happy to help with whatever else people want to do.
I have the kit from Eagle Mike to do the sub frame fix but zero knowledge on how to do it. I also have a couple of other minor things to do like a front fender brace and a radiator protector to install. I'd love to get together with others who do have the skills, etc to get things done this weekend.
'09 KLR-650 Blue (Blue KLR Club #98)
'08 Honda CBF-1000A8
'08 Ninja 250 (daughters)
'09 Yamaha BW50 scooter (other daughters)

'08 Suzuki DRZ-125L (Sold)
'02 Yamaha TTR-125L (Big Bore 150)(Sold)
'83 Honda Shadow VT500C (Sold)(Wonderful bike)
'71 Honda CT90 (Sold)
dbrewerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #66
Garin

Ok! Let's call it this Sunday (May 5) . I'll be working in my garage for most of the day (from, say, 10am onward). Anyone else who is keen on doing some wrenching is welcome to come over.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to come by and I'll send out my address etc.

I'll be doing my valve adjustment, subframe bolts, and possibly some electrical upgrades depending on how it all goes.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #67
Garin

It was a great day for the tech!

David dropped in, and replaced his broken tail light, installed a new windshield, and put on some flash footpegs.

I didn't do my valves, but we did do the drill-through on my subframe bolt upgrade. It was a bit more involved than we had anticipated, but after the first time through we've learned a couple of things. Probably the most important "trick" is: drape a shop cloth or something over the carb boot etc immediately under the top subframe bolts to catch all the shavings. Yes, we stuffed the carb with a cloth, but the drilling produces a sizeable pile of oily shrapnel that sticks to everything and gets into every nook and crevice. After an hour with a toothbrush, I'd strongly recommend the drape. It seems obvious, yet in the youtube videos I watched before I did it nobody else did it. They just air-blasted it, but those metal shavings are terribly abrasive. I'd rather contain them.

Anyway, it was a good day.
Sponsored links

Tags
calgary, techday