SiteLock
Oil Fill Excercise...a must read...lots of pics!!! - Page 11 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #201
Hothand

Super Cool Since: Dec 2015
Locale: Antelope, CA
Postings: 12
Hothand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil Fill Excercise...a must read...lots of pics!!!

I went and looked at the owners manual on Kawasaki.com. 2010 was the last year the manual said 2.5L. In 2011 it says 2.0L. Maybe that's when they dropped the marking on the case. On another thread I posted about the oil capacity change according the manual and someone said that's it's 2.5L and the manual is wrong. I'm not sure what to believe. I've read in these forums that the sight glass was put in the wrong place and the manual is wrong. I guess the only thing to do is add oil until it's at the top of the glass.
Hothand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #202
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,715
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about

Actually, you can simply use logic and deduction, as Holmes would say, "It's elementary".
Part numbers across the board for nearly ALL lower case elements have not changed. The cases themselves have not changed significantly.
The history of this topic is well documented, and the people involved are well known 'Gurus' of the machine.
The manual has a well documented history of errors. It's in a post on this board.
Logic dictates that if these elements of the physical engine have not changed, the need for similar oil levels must therefore be the same.
The fact is that the window is indeed too low, as established by at least three well known engine people.
Too low oil is FAR more damaging than a little too high, especially in the KLR, a known oil killing machine due to it's shared clutch, and splash lubricated bearing types.
When you change oil and filter, and have drained the oil well, measure out and install 2.5L.
Or in my case, I fill to the very top of the window with the bike at a 5 degree tilt on the stand.
When done properly, the oil window will display absolutely full, with a small bubble when slightly leaned over.
If this seems overkill to some, they may do as they please, it's their bike.
BTW, someone said don't let it get to the bottom of the glass. If it gets there, the damage is probably already done. I said probably.
Sometimes these things take time to show up. Been quite a few here that have lost motors though.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #203
PapaToe
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 98
PapaToe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawioops View Post
Too low oil is FAR more damaging than a little too high
Are you sure about that? Also, what is the definition of a "little too much" oil.

"The fact is that the window is indeed too low, as established by at least three well known engine people."

I think I will error on the side of trusting the sight level on the bike over here-say on klr650.net and three well known engine people. Keeping the oil level within the levels on the sight glass is not rocket science. Do that and you'll be riding your KLR for many, many years
PapaToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #204
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,715
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about

Obviously, you haven't read this thread too extensively, or you would NOT be questioning these findings in this manner.
It's long, but well worth the read.
The 'Guru's' mentioned are well known engine people, who do both hobby and commercial work.
In addition, at least one has run a Motorcycle/machine shop for MANY years, as well as help develop the famous (infamous?) Doo solution.
Their findings are laid out in VERY specific engineering/mechanical terms, as well as 'layman's' terms.
In short, if someone questions this as "Hear-say", they aren't reading enough, or refuse to acknowledge the research done.
As to the claim to Too much Vs. Too little, any one with a modicum of engine experience would acknowledge that.
Too mush? possible blow by, MAYBE some oil into the vent, and so on.
Too little?? Bearing stress, heat stress, and possible sludging.
That's common sense.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #205
PapaToe
A Regular

Sorry, I'm posting about this in two locations and didn't provide enough background... I'm in the minority here as I have a newer KLR - 2015. Most of this thread is concerning the pre-2014 models.

I haven't had any issues with burning oil,, yet, but obviously would like to have the optimal amount of oil in it regardless. The manual for this model says 2.1L capacity (dry). If you're saying that isn't correct, do you have any empirical observations/proof to the contrary?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #206
IdaRida
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2016
Locale: Salmon, Id
Postings: 23
IdaRida is on a distinguished road

Great tutorial and it is a good looking oil cap, thanks for taking the time to post.
IdaRida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #207
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 921
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaToe View Post
Sorry, I'm posting about this in two locations and didn't provide enough background... I'm in the minority here as I have a newer KLR - 2015. Most of this thread is concerning the pre-2014 models.

I haven't had any issues with burning oil,, yet, but obviously would like to have the optimal amount of oil in it regardless. The manual for this model says 2.1L capacity (dry). If you're saying that isn't correct, do you have any empirical observations/proof to the contrary?
I own a 2015 KLR with 20,000 miles on it (and have owned 8 other KLRs dating back to 1991). The oil level issue never was a problem before the all consuming oil burning KLRs showed up beginning in the 2008 model year. I have always done a complete oil and filter change with 2.5 liters of my favorite oil and filter------never had an oil or lower end failure. A change on my 2015 with 2.5 liters puts the oil level on the sight window just above the top of the window and I have not had to add a drop to the bike since it was purchased new. I have no idea why Kawasaki would specify 2.1 liters when 2.5 was the spec for almost 27 years.....but, for now I am sticking with a 2.5 liter fill when the oil filter is changed.

Kawasaki also specs the first valve clearance check at 15,000 miles.......overwhelming member experience shows that this is way to long and the clearance/shimming should occur around 5000 miles the first time no matter what the manual says. There is a lot of other bad advice on the maintenance chart.....check air pressure every 7500 miles, clean the air filter every 7500 miles, lubing the Uni-Trak/shock linkage every 15000 miles, etc............all of them way too long of an interval to maintain your KLR properly.

There is a tremendous amount of good advice based on experience pertaining to the proper maintenance of your KLR which will ensure your bike lasts a long time.

It comes down to... it is your bike, maintain it the way you want. But, I would not trust the manual totally.
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #208
PapaToe
A Regular

Thank you for your reply regarding the '15 model.

I wouldn't trust the manual on its own either. In my experience 2.15L puts the level just above the sight glass, so that all you see in the glass is oil when the bike is on the level. The extra .35L would be above and beyond that. I guess this confirms other's reports that the glass is positioned too low on the crankcase. Have you found this to be the case on your bike?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #209
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for your reply regarding the '15 model.

I wouldn't trust the manual on its own either. In my experience 2.15L puts the level just above the sight glass, so that all you see in the glass is oil when the bike is on the level. The extra .35L would be above and beyond that. I guess this confirms other's reports that the glass is positioned too low on the crankcase. Have you found this to be the case on your bike?
I believe the oil window is too low.....why? who knows, but I am sure Kawasaki won't change it due to liability concerns expressed by legal. I change oil every 3000 miles with a filter change every other time and all is good with the KLRs I have owned.

.35 liter is 11.83 ounces ..... the engine cases are pretty big on the KLR compared to modern bikes so the oil spreads out a lot while not raising the level much in the window/that is what I am thinking.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #210
azklrian

Super Cool Since: Dec 2012
Locale: AZ/AB
Postings: 461
azklrian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you sure about that? Also, what is the definition of a "little too much" oil.

"The fact is that the window is indeed too low, as established by at least three well known engine people."

I think I will error on the side of trusting the sight level on the bike over here-say on klr650.net and three well known engine people. Keeping the oil level within the levels on the sight glass is not rocket science. Do that and you'll be riding your KLR for many, many years
Keep us posted on how this works out for you and good luck.
azklrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #211
PapaToe
A Regular

Thanks, will do
Old 12-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #212
armyicurn

Super Cool Since: Sep 2005
Locale: Olympia-WA.Pissing rain capital
Postings: 597
armyicurn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooklr View Post
I own a 2015 KLR with 20,000 miles on it (and have owned 8 other KLRs dating back to 1991). The oil level issue never was a problem before the all consuming oil burning KLRs showed up beginning in the 2008 model year. I have always done a complete oil and filter change with 2.5 liters of my favorite oil and filter------never had an oil or lower end failure. A change on my 2015 with 2.5 liters puts the oil level on the sight window just above the top of the window and I have not had to add a drop to the bike since it was purchased new. I have no idea why Kawasaki would specify 2.1 liters when 2.5 was the spec for almost 27 years.....but, for now I am sticking with a 2.5 liter fill when the oil filter is changed.

Kawasaki also specs the first valve clearance check at 15,000 miles.......overwhelming member experience shows that this is way to long and the clearance/shimming should occur around 5000 miles the first time no matter what the manual says. There is a lot of other bad advice on the maintenance chart.....check air pressure every 7500 miles, clean the air filter every 7500 miles, lubing the Uni-Trak/shock linkage every 15000 miles, etc............all of them way too long of an interval to maintain your KLR properly.

There is a tremendous amount of good advice based on experience pertaining to the proper maintenance of your KLR which will ensure your bike lasts a long time.

It comes down to... it is your bike, maintain it the way you want. But, I would not trust the manual totally.
Dou you have a list of the intervals you do in your KLR? Do you mind sharing them? I change my oil about every 2k = to 2.5k miles with a filter change every other. Just curious to see what your intervals are for the other items. I know that I am due to check the valves but right now is a bit too cold in the garage for me to do that plus it is a bit cramped in there with other bikes and stuff.

ODS, OIF3
2006 Azteca Red

Get a YOB!
armyicurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #213
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

I checked and shimmed the valves at 5500 and recently at 18800 miles.......they were in spec on the low end at 18800 and were checked because the bodywork/tank were off to clean the bike after a trip to Moab UT. The shock linkage and swing arm were greased when new and will be done agin shortly when the rear tire is changed.

The oil is changed very 3000 miles with a filter change every other oil change + the air filter is cleaned at the oil change or earlier if dirty.

I cleaned and re-lubed the steering stem bearings at 7500 miles with the first front tire change + changed the fork oil out at the same time.

I check the oil level on my bike EVERY time it is ridden out of habit......always.

One more thing.....all of the bodywork, seat, fairing, etc. was removed when new and any possible rub spots on the wiring harness were insulated with rubber inner tube material as a precaution.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #214
Jerry Atrick

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 843
Jerry Atrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
"I do it the way Wyman does it."
If you take one thing away from this long thread, let that be it!
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #215
horsepoor
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2013
Locale: West Palm Beach, Florida
Postings: 141
horsepoor is on a distinguished road

I am probably doing what most people do. Add three quarts of oil during oil change and let it puke out a pint or so if so inclined. So far so good and no problems.

Last edited by horsepoor; 02-18-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
horsepoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #216
Dbmanthe
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: Fort Collins
Postings: 197
Dbmanthe is on a distinguished road

All I know is I am glad I read this thread. It explains what I have observed on my bike. Now I just need to find someone to help me check the valves...

I might be slow but I'm making good time!
Dbmanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #217
PapaToe
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azklrian View Post
Keep us posted on how this works out for you and good luck.
So far, so good . Up to 6,500 miles and running beautifully. The biggest thing I've had to deal with is cleaning out the pilot jet in the carb a few times. As far as oil, this bike has never burned a drop -- granted I almost never ride on the freeways and rarely go above 65 mph.

Tags
excercisea, fill, oil, pics, readlots