SiteLock
lost in programing. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 305
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Angry lost in programing.

ok so i bought a garmin 78.
now i tried to download the garmin "basecamp" but only got google chrome, and my browser got changes to yahoo.

can not find base camp on my puter.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
8bit

Postings: n/a
Default Re: lost in programing.

Hold the Windows Key (the one with the flag symbol) and tap 'E'.
Up should come File Explorer. Look for a folder in the
left pane window called Downloads.

Let us know how you make out.

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 06-13-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 277
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Ok, a couple of things may have happened.

1. You didn't uncheck a box that changed your browser. There is bloatware and adware with many of your "free" downloads. They can be sneaky about it. This can be undone a couple of ways if this was the issue.

2. You got jacked homie. Depending on where you got that program from, you may be infected with one or more of the various malware out there.

3. In troubleshooting this issue without anything more detailed, here's what I found.

a. Depending on your operating system, you need to install different versions. Latest version is for win7sp1 or WVsp2 or higher.

4. Downloading was simple. It placed and .exe copy in my downloads folder. Virus scan came up negative, but right clicking on the program prompted installation.

5. Installation was only hindered by the usual nanny pop up and a quick scan of a short TOS agreement.

6. The program took a bit to get started. I don't have an incredibly powerful computer, but with a quad core 6g decent vid card system, it still took nearly a minute to start, and moving the map was clunky. I left the box checked to run after install. I waited, and waited, and then tried to start from the menu and was told it was running, so I bring up Task Manager, and about the time TM popped up, the program appeared. Slow by today's standards.

7. Updating was simple from the menu. It told me I had the most up to date version and asked if I wanted to update a device. I don't have one, so nope... exit.

8. Uninstall was clean through the windows program uninstaller.

9. Nothing was altered on my computer. My Chrome still defaults to where I set it. I checked closely, and at no time was I prompted to change my browser.

Conclusion.

Downloading from https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp gave me an apparently safe, and useful copy of Basecamp.

I did see a couple of other URLS, such as wws8.garminXXXXXXX. I did not check these as they do not seem by the url to be as trustworthy as the first link.

I did not use a third party download site, I downloaded directly from what appeared to be Garmin's website.

I run adblocker, Popup blocker and a few other filters, it may be possible that these interrupted a vector for infection without me being aware.

I ran a virus scan on the downloaded program. I found it curious that the program would attempt to install via a single right click, but Avast found nothing.

I would suggest running a virus scan immediately. Trend Micro has a good online virus scan called Housecall. It doesn't necessarily fix things, but it is good at finding things. Do not install multiple versions of antivirus, this will not be beneficial. IF TM's housecall finds anything, referring to a site such as Bleepingcomputer will often give you step by step instructions (including links to relevant software) for removing various malware.

I would suggest checking to see if you have a checkpoint that you can roll your computer back to. This often will remove simple malware. Roll it back, delete all checkpoints from the moment of roll back to now.

In the end, downloading from the above link yielded a product that raised no red flags, did not appear harmful, and, upon cursory examination, functioned as advertised.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
packnrat

Post Re: lost in programing.

had to redo the download "open" to find it.
on my puter but no "link" to it.

i do what i can to click out of the crap ware.
never had chrome, do not need/want it.

but the basecamp program only opens up to a world map.

i do not know the "ver" but it is microcrap number 10.

i am not very good at this computer stuff. but why do i need to add programs just to get a stand alone gps to work?
a map program chip is on order. another $100.usd.
but may be all for (****) as i have no puter where i am going. just got this desk top. (program not working here) and my cell phone, (program refuses to down lode to it).
yes the program for my phone. safari says no to it.

and yes i believe (unless redricted) was on garmins web site.

Last edited by packnrat; 06-13-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 277
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

but only got google chrome, and my browser got changes to yahoo

You got google chrome? Your browser got changed to Yahoo?

never had chrome, do not need/want it.

Now you never had chrome?

My post was based on the idea that your browser had been changed from your normal search page (google in the chrome browser) to a yahoo search page, which is common when downloading software as a search page change is often bundled.

So now I don't know what you're talking about.

Reading between the lines...

You bought a Garmin.

You downloaded basecamp.

You got basecamp to open, but it has no maps.

but the basecamp program only opens up to a world map. Then you need map packs I guess.

i am not very good at this computer stuff. but why do i need to add programs just to get a stand alone gps to work? Because the stand alone gps is,
in effect, a programmed device, but you cannot add programs to it directly because it IS a "stand alone" device. So you need to use your computer to manage the device.
Same as a music player.

a map program chip is on order. another $100.usd.
but may be all for (****) as i have no puter where i am going. just got this desk top. (program not working here) and my cell phone, (program refuses to down lode to it).
yes the program for my phone. safari says no to it. If you ordered a map pack on a chip (assuming micro usb) then you may not need to use your computer at all. The chip should have all the maps etc. that you need.

I believe Garmin has a customer service line you can call. They should be able to walk you through the entire process and tell you exactly what you need to do/download/buy to get your device to perform exactly how you want.

That may be more beneficial than having random internet strangers try to diagnose your issues.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
8bit

Postings: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
why do i need to add programs just to get a stand alone gps to work?
Well you don't NEED it, bit it has some good uses. You can plan a trip in detail and send it to your GPS. You can do the same with hundreds of trips others have taken and shared on line. Some of these trips are truly amazing, loaded with stuff you might not think of yourself. Fuel stops, eats, lodging and camping sites, views to stop and enjoy. You can do the same with trips you're planning, in as much detail as you want, with alternate plans if things don't go as hoped for. Way better than trying to figure out a new plan on the side of the road.

Here's a link to some basic tutorials on using Base Camp:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/learnin...er/basecamp-pc

Quote:
but the basecamp program only opens up to a world map.
That's good, zoom in and drag the map to where you want to see it. Watch the tutorials.

Here's a site that offers ideas on setting up your Garmin 78, and at the bottom is a link to downloading a map and how to load it in the GPS:

https://sites.google.com/a/gpskevina...setup-and-tips

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. We are glad to help.

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 06-13-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
packnrat

Smile Re: lost in programing.

ever hear of "reaver"?
even with there guy on the line for over two hrs could not get there program to work for me.

i have problems with these things.
if i can get this to work. as next week i am being given some "tracks" to follow. i just hope they can get things to work for me.
i know i am a bit crazy going to Washington state for the touratech rally.
was going to ride the klr up, but my mom talked me into driving and pulling up the rv. but hay i get a real bed not the ground

Sponsored links

Tags
lost, programing