SiteLock
Cheap seat solution: like $30 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Blacky23

Super Cool Since: Feb 2017
Locale: Silver Spring, MD
Postings: 15
Blacky23 is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap seat solution: like $30

So, I read all of the other posts. I saw seat concepts but they costs $150 plus and the airhawk is $100. I went to the riderbeads site and those looked promising then I read they are good for cooling but do not really increase comfort alone. Corbin and Sargent are out of my price range. I've put a couple thousand $s into my klr already and really want to stick to budget here. Saw the atv seat cover from walmart but people say this does not really work.

I'm a new rider and probably will have the KLR for no more than 3 years. I don't really know what my next bike will be. I'm 6'6" and 240 lbs. Exclusively street riding now.

I want the cheapest way to stop my butt from killing me on 2+ hour rides. I read some people buy foam and go to the upholsterer. Does this work? I really want a quick turn-around so I can be riding this weekend. Please advise. Thanks.
Blacky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
ArizonaPI

Super Cool Since: Sep 2016
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 435
ArizonaPI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cheap seat solution: like $30

Go to Ikea and buy two sheepskins. Dye them black if you want...there is a post on here with perfect directions. (Use the entirety of each bottle of Rid dye. Don't use half bottle like the manufacturer's directions say).

Lay both skins fur side down next to each other so they're horizontally stacked. Now bind the two by running strips of duct tape vertically over both pieces of leather for an area that is about as wide as your seat including the side walls.

Trim the left and right edges of your skins to your liking but you want to leave enough to cover the lower edges of your seat pan, that was the origin of a lot of my upper inner thigh discomfort.

I came up with this after using only one sheepskin toward the front of the seat and learning that my butt was too low so I taped another skin to it to raise me up. It worked well and held up for two months before I started sitting further back in the seat and now only use one sheepskin.

Be aware that people will crack fun at you if you don't dye the sheepskins. They look pretty ridiculous if left white and only a little ridiculous if properly dyed. When they get compressed from riding just fluff them up with your fingers and their original comfort level will be restored.

Oh, these take like 2 days to dry so not sure you'll make the weekend.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 263
C5dad is on a distinguished road

I bought a $10 ATV seat pad from Amazon for my Corbin. My butt thanks me for it profusely. Corbin is contoured, but too hard for my taste. Plus the seat pad has plenty of air flow.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,769
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

I use the $20 Coleman ATV pad on both my KLR's. I think they work great! It definitely increases my comfort range and is absolutely cooler in the summer heat.

The straps don't fit real well so I cut them off, re-configure them so the buckles don't interfere with mounting (and are hidden beneath the seat), then have wifey sew them back on.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
ArizonaPI

Super Cool Since: Sep 2016
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 435
ArizonaPI is on a distinguished road

Even foam under the Coleman pad is helpful.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Lowrider_Bud
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: East Texas
Postings: 20
Lowrider_Bud is on a distinguished road

Sheepskin is the way to go. I've had a sheepskin cover on my stock KLR seat for about 40K miles and 6+years. It is very comfortable (for me). If the bike set out in the rain; just wipe it off with a towel and your good to go.

I acquired my sheepskin at a garage sale real cheep, I think about $10. It was part of a kit for a Harley Classic, so it took some cutting and folding to make it fit the KLR.

Later, Bud...
Lowrider_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,613
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Stop at your local carpet supplier. Ask for some 6lb or 9lb rebond foam that is left over from an install. (carpet padding). With some foam spray glue and a 4" grinder you can build your own seat. Throw some vinyl over it with a staple gun and your done. I cut out most of the stock foam in the center portion of the seat then added the rebond foam in layers. Then added an additional layers to make the seat taller and a good 2" wider.

Rebond foam isnt' good foam but I found it lasted a good 15-20K miles before I went ahead and got the Seat Concepts kit.

Foam...free
Spray glue...$10
Grinder...already had one
Vinyl...local fabric supply store charged me $4

Last edited by Chuck B; 06-18-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
ACE rider
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Canadia
Postings: 173
ACE rider is on a distinguished road

Google 'sweet cheeks motorcycle seat cover'. You can buy one for $35 or make one for <$5 if you have a sewing machine.

Basically turns the stock 8" wide seat into a 14" platform. MUCH more comfortable for riding long distances on the street. Takes the load off your tailbone and spreads it over your entire ass and upper thighs. It can easily be shoved back or removed to get it out of the way when standing is required.

I made my own with a couple of mods. I use 3" ABS pipe wrapped with a 1/2" foam kneeling pad instead of the 2L bottles. A slip on cap on one end and an expanding test plug on the other means I now have 2 extra tool tubes as a bonus.

Most of the time I throw a beaded seat cover on top. I got a car seat cover from Canadian Tire for ~$15 and separated the 'seat' part from the 'back' part. Can really feel the air flow through the beads. When these cheapo beads wear out I'll probably try the Beadrider, or similar.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,493
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

+1 what Chuck B said. It's a 4 hr job. If using a regular spring/hand powered staple gun then measure the old staples and get one size longer. Secret to a pro look is top layer is 1/4" thick foam sheet that covers a multitude of sins.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
bigHklr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: MN
Postings: 146
bigHklr will become famous soon enough

I put the Walmart ATV seat cover on mine thinking it would hold me over until I figured out what seat I was going to put on the KLR...it worked well enough for me that I quit looking.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
jeepsandbikes

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: toronto
Postings: 417
jeepsandbikes is on a distinguished road

If i knew how crappy the seat concepts was going to be , i would have just made my own cover and foam . if you spend a bit of time , you can contour it to your behind .
still have to say , my old corbin was the most comfy saddle ive ever had . too bad it weighed so much .
dont waste your money on the SC , build your own .
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Central Arizona
Postings: 2,820
Haldor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
If i knew how crappy the seat concepts was going to be , i would have just made my own cover and foam . if you spend a bit of time , you can contour it to your behind .
still have to say , my old corbin was the most comfy saddle ive ever had . too bad it weighed so much .
Which version of the Seat Concepts did you get? I put a tall with grippy seat fabric on my '07 and it was perfect. I completed a 1700 mile trip (with a 500 mile day) last summer and the seat concept tall seat was just fine for me.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,631
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post

That is the first real complaint that I've heard.. seems harsh based on all the positive experiences shared here.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
verboten1
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Monroe, MI
Postings: 1,255
verboten1 is on a distinguished road

Seat concepts is the seat for my butt. Worth every penny, KLR, DRZ, Tenere and soon the versys all have one.
'12 Super Tenere XT1200
'13 Versys 650 For the wife
James Bay Madness!!!
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 714
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

As Chuck said, making your own custom seat is probably easier than you think. Here's a thread I put up on here describing my effort:

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124920

I would also just caution that sometimes what looks comfortable and feels comfortable in the garage isn't after a few hours on it. Being comfortable in the saddle has as much to do with your posture and core strength and how you engage with the bike as the shape and material of the seat. Food for thought: Why is that there are some riders who always struggle to find the right seat and some are happy on just about anything?
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #16
BigUglyGreenThing
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Northern California SF Bay Area
Postings: 96
BigUglyGreenThing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE rider View Post
Google 'sweet cheeks motorcycle seat cover'. You can buy one for $35 or make one for <$5 if you have a sewing machine.

Basically turns the stock 8" wide seat into a 14" platform. MUCH more comfortable for riding long distances on the street. Takes the load off your tailbone and spreads it over your entire ass and upper thighs. It can easily be shoved back or removed to get it out of the way when standing is required.

Looks like a good idea. You can carry an extra 4 liters of water... or gasoline if you feel lucky and daring.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #17
sasho

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Missoula, MT
Postings: 375
sasho is on a distinguished road

From all the farkles on my bike, Seat Concepts is definitely Numero Uno for me!!

Money well spent!!
Past rides: PNW KLR Rally 2010 & 2012, Happy Trails 25th anniversary KLR Rally 2012, MT to Alaska 2011, Magruder Corridor 2012, Eastern Montana 2012, Eastern Europe 2012, Bulgaria 2013, MT/ID/NV/CA/OR 2013, Beartooth Hwy 2014. Best of Montana 1000 (2013, 2014, and 2015), 9 Balkan Countries 2014, ADV Wallowa Jamboree 2015, Mexico Baja 2015
Wish list:around the Black Sea, Siberia, Utah, Africa, Australia and NZ
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
ACE rider
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Canadia
Postings: 173
ACE rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUglyGreenThing View Post
Looks like a good idea. You can carry an extra 4 liters of water... or gasoline if you feel lucky and daring.

I actually carry a little 500ml bottle of oil in one side and my 8" tire irons + some gloves in the other side. Comes in handy on long trips, as the oil level in the bike starts to drop after about 4000km of steady use.

Just got back from an 11 day trip (9 days on the bike). 4300km and not a sore cheek in sight.
Sponsored links

Tags
$30, cheap, seat, solution