SiteLock
Excessive heat riding - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 06-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
Photonicreno

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Lemoore, CA
Postings: 17
Photonicreno is on a distinguished road
Default Excessive heat riding

So, just recently around my area there's been an excessive heat warning. Will it hurt the bike if I'm riding 20 minutes to work during traffic in 110+ degree weather?
I've ridden it the past 2 days with seemingly no issues, but the bike does get kinda close to redlining when I'm sitting in traffic. And I got a slight burn on my right leg from the heat radiating from the engine.
Photonicreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,457
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Excessive heat riding

We hit 120F the last two days...would love to have it only 110F. Don't worry about your bike. Its you that you should be more concerned with riding in 'extreme' temps. Mine will edge right up to redline in stop n go or when above 80mph. If its not puking coolant then all is fine. I do find I need to run premium fuel to keep pinging at bay and, of course, the first time you hear your fuel boiling away in your tank can be a bit unnerving but is not unusual in our higher temp days.
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 204
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

No, the bike is fine.

If it's not puking, it's not overheating.

July 24th, 2014. I had just pulled into work and checked my thermometer.

Digital because my previous one didn't go that high.

Make sure to protect yourself from the heat. The bike can easily take it.

5 days a week for several summers, I was rolling in mid-high 1teens on my 55mi commute to work.

Bike's fine.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Jerry Atrick

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 807
Jerry Atrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
No, the bike is fine. If it's not puking, it's not overheating.
But if Y0U'RE puking, that's a bad sign. As Chuck noted, rider is more vulnerable than bike when riding in 100+ heat.

Read up on hyperthermia, which is the opposite of hypothermia (reduced body temperature as a result of riding in cold weather.)

Among the symptoms, "confusion" may be the most serious for the hot weather motorcyclist. If your overheated brain starts making bad decisions while you're riding, consequences can be big.
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Central Arizona
Postings: 2,820
Haldor will become famous soon enough

Official temp yesterday was 119. The thermometer on my S10 hit 129 on my ride home yesterday. It must be cooling off, it only read 127 today.

Tip: When it gets that hot no exposed skin. I was wearing my Klim Badlands jacket and it was a lot more comfortable than my mesh jacket in the heat.

Last edited by Haldor; 06-21-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,457
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Official temp yesterday was 119. The thermometer on my S10 hit 129 on my ride home yesterday. It must be cooling off, it only read 127 today.

Tip: When it gets that hot no exposed skin. I was wearing my Klim Badlands jacket and it was a lot more comfortable than my mesh jacket in the heat.
Thats correct. Once temps crest 110F you ADD layers and absolutely no exposed skin. (short rides doesn't apply) My one piece aerostich is too hot when temps range from 95 to 105F but once over 110F the Aerostich is much cooler/safer.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
lhedrick
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2016
Locale: Utah
Postings: 105
lhedrick is on a distinguished road

The few times I have ridden when it was over 100, that was too much for me. I often ride when it's 95 and I don't even like that. At 110, I have a feeling most riders will call it quits before the bike does.
lhedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
ArizonaPI

Super Cool Since: Sep 2016
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 424
ArizonaPI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Thats correct. Once temps crest 110F you ADD layers and absolutely no exposed skin. (short rides doesn't apply) My one piece aerostich is too hot when temps range from 95 to 105F but once over 110F the Aerostich is much cooler/safer.
I had the pleasure of sharing this information, given to me by Robert Z, with a fellow rider from a FB group. As did I, he found it counterintuitive but eventually reached out and thanked me for the info after he tried it.

I believe Robert's words were something like "the hot air acts as a desiccant on your skin." Boy do those words make sense once your ride on a 115 degree day!!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 204
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I have to give credit. Chuck told ME the same thing a few years back, and as usual, I did not believe him.

Then I tried it, and found he was (as usual) righter than I was.

There's a balance to be found. Doesn't matter, find the balance.

For me, it was armor (Fox Titan 2), with a LS cotton tshirt on the outside. This allowed the greatest amount of moisture evaporation, while protecting my skin from the hot wind.

I must add, that for a 50 mile ride, I kept a 2L hydration bladder on the tank... and it was always nearly empty (or empty) by the time I pulled into work.

The armor saved my buttocks one day. Chunk of chrome got kicked up, took me in the front of the shoulder.

I stayed in the seat, got a lovely bruise, but otherwise, the armor earned a place that day.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
ArizonaPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
I have to give credit. Chuck told ME the same thing a few years back, and as usual, I did not believe him.

Then I tried it, and found he was (as usual) righter than I was.

There's a balance to be found. Doesn't matter, find the balance.

The armor saved my buttocks one day. Chunk of chrome got kicked up, took me in the front of the shoulder.

I stayed in the seat, got a lovely bruise, but otherwise, the armor earned a place that day.
Hey that's how the learning process works! Glad you protected yourself!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 769
roadapple is on a distinguished road

Yup had to fire up the furnace this AM to drive out the cold, damp. Coffee was hot too, for a reason. No mesh for me right now..it's too cold at speed. Guess I could use the heated vest and grip heaters, but I need the waterproofs so might as well stay with the armoured shell attire. I hear the water crossings are closed up in the north 'burbs with crest peaks today, tomorrow. Looks like rain for the end of the week.

Life in the concrete jungle. Dodgen' coppers, bullets, puddles. Stay safe my friends.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 104
Zz- is on a distinguished road

It's been pretty hot here but sub 100. I'm regretting that I got my gear trying to be cheap. I'm thinking of getting something better next year, any recommendations? I keep seeing aerostitch. I'm looking for something I can layer on a coat for the winter or what not. Or at least something I can use a rain suit with a sweater to keep warm when it gets around. 10-30 degrees.
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 971
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough

Recent trip from Orygun to SW had days above 104 and saw high of 112F. Wet bandana, CamelBak, wicking T and shorts, and temps were tolerable in my Klim Badlands. Keep in mind I grew up in Phoenix, AZ, so triple digits feel like home.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
ArizonaPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
Recent trip from Orygun to SW had days above 104 and saw high of 112F. Wet bandana, CamelBak, wicking T and shorts, and temps were tolerable in my Klim Badlands. Keep in mind I grew up in Phoenix, AZ, so triple digits feel like home.
Shorts in the Klim Badlands pants? Does the lining stick to your skin? I have Bilt Air Explorer pants, that turn out to work well year round for me, but the lining clings to my leg skin like shrink wrap. Now I wear spandex pants under them and it works well.

The spandex pants are so comfortable sometimes I leave them on after I get home and forget about it until somebody rings the doorbell and I have to run around finding something normal to throw on.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #15
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 245
C5dad is on a distinguished road

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G59JnM4JKNQ

I wear a light pair of workout pants under my Dakars and Badlands. I prefer tomhave the wicking layer isolate my skin from the pants as I don't like the sticky feeling. Also, I don't have the issues with tights tha AzPi has. I already did a dad's dance at my daughters dance studio last year.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.

Last edited by C5dad; 07-24-2017 at 12:03 AM.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
ArizonaPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G59JnM4JKNQ

I wear a light pair of workout pants under my Dakars and Badlands. I prefer tomhave the wicking layer isolate my skin from the pants as I don't like the sticky feeling. Also, I don't have the issues with tights tha AzPi has. I already did a dad's dance at my daughters dance studio last year.
Full disclosure, I was really hoping the video link was the dad's dance. But "EVERY TIME" was pretty funny too!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 245
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Thank goodness it didn't get filmed as far as I know.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 971
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPI View Post
Shorts in the Klim Badlands pants? Does the lining stick to your skin? I have Bilt Air Explorer pants, that turn out to work well year round for me, but the lining clings to my leg skin like shrink wrap. Now I wear spandex pants under them and it works well.

The spandex pants are so comfortable sometimes I leave them on after I get home and forget about it until somebody rings the doorbell and I have to run around finding something normal to throw on.
Nope, nothing in the Badlands pants sticks to my skin.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
excessive, heat, riding