SiteLock
2017 Mountain Madness DS _ Flagstaff - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Southwest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,472
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold
Default 2017 Mountain Madness DS _ Flagstaff

Just returned from the 2 day event up in Flagstaff. One of the lowest turn outs in years...don't know why. Organizers put it just under 125 entrants. Might have been the mandatory AMA membership requirement this year.

This year I pestered another KLR owner to attend. He finally agreed and I promised him it would be fun and the pace to his choosing. He's got good skills so we rode the B routes both days. He's often here in .net but doesn't post much. Maybe he'll post up a couple pix and maybe a short video of the first single track saturday morning. If I recall he said he had come around the corner and saw what was ahead and mentally gave up figuring he wasnt going to make it, crash and tumble the 30-40ft down into the ravine. "Somehow" he managed to not only keep it up right but cleared the section without stalling. He was quite happy with that!

To back up some...just as we were heading out two other riders approached us and asked if they could tag along. One was on a DR650 and the other on 1150GS. 1150GS on a B route is generally not advisable. I'd seen him at other events and never needed rescue so I figured it was his call. We agreed if our 'pace' did not meet each other we'd split up and ride our own ride. The harder section of single track (described above) he asked for a go around route but otherwise he managed to get that big GS thru the B course. Quite impressive. I know there were a few sections he wasn't having fun but he kept plugging along. Saturdays B course was nearly 8hrs in total. Granted, we took a number of breaks and the pace was moderate but still a good day overall.

Sunday was a shorter ride but rain the previous evening had the course pretty wet. More rain was in the forecast. We headed out and sure enough we had a number of miles in the wet with just enough clay in the soil to make even my Shinko Big Block tires not nearly 'knobby' enough. We were all sliding all over the place. Soon enough the course dried out and conditions were epic. We went out to a new Sedona overlook for me then visited an abandoned cabin. By then thunder could be heard and it was decided to get out of dodge. I knew a short cut back to 89 but literally 1 mile from it the road was closed. No way to go around and no roads or trails to make our way to 89. We had to back track all the way around. Got a little wet but we stayed on main roads which were just fine with the rain.

Howlin at the Moon is coming up Oct 21st/22nd in Payson. Organizers said there will be some changes for ADV riders for this event if anyone is interested. They are trying to attract the less skilled ADV type riders. Go to their website for details. Then there is the Rubber Chicken DS event the following weekend in NM. I'll be making that event as well.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
ArizonaPI

Super Cool Since: Sep 2016
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 428
ArizonaPI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2017 Mountain Madness DS _ Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Just returned from the 2 day event up in Flagstaff. One of the lowest turn outs in years...don't know why. Organizers put it just under 125 entrants. Might have been the mandatory AMA membership requirement this year.

This year I pestered another KLR owner to attend. He finally agreed and I promised him it would be fun and the pace to his choosing. He's got good skills so we rode the B routes both days. He's often here in .net but doesn't post much. Maybe he'll post up a couple pix and maybe a short video of the first single track saturday morning. If I recall he said he had come around the corner and saw what was ahead and mentally gave up figuring he wasnt going to make it, crash and tumble the 30-40ft down into the ravine. "Somehow" he managed to not only keep it up right but cleared the section without stalling. He was quite happy with that!

To back up some...just as we were heading out two other riders approached us and asked if they could tag along. One was on a DR650 and the other on 1150GS. 1150GS on a B route is generally not advisable. I'd seen him at other events and never needed rescue so I figured it was his call. We agreed if our 'pace' did not meet each other we'd split up and ride our own ride. The harder section of single track (described above) he asked for a go around route but otherwise he managed to get that big GS thru the B course. Quite impressive. I know there were a few sections he wasn't having fun but he kept plugging along. Saturdays B course was nearly 8hrs in total. Granted, we took a number of breaks and the pace was moderate but still a good day overall.

Sunday was a shorter ride but rain the previous evening had the course pretty wet. More rain was in the forecast. We headed out and sure enough we had a number of miles in the wet with just enough clay in the soil to make even my Shinko Big Block tires not nearly 'knobby' enough. We were all sliding all over the place. Soon enough the course dried out and conditions were epic. We went out to a new Sedona overlook for me then visited an abandoned cabin. By then thunder could be heard and it was decided to get out of dodge. I knew a short cut back to 89 but literally 1 mile from it the road was closed. No way to go around and no roads or trails to make our way to 89. We had to back track all the way around. Got a little wet but we stayed on main roads which were just fine with the rain.

Howlin at the Moon is coming up Oct 21st/22nd in Payson. Organizers said there will be some changes for ADV riders for this event if anyone is interested. They are trying to attract the less skilled ADV type riders. Go to their website for details. Then there is the Rubber Chicken DS event the following weekend in NM. I'll be making that event as well.
Did you say less skilled ADV type riders?!? WHEN??? WHERE??? Oh, Oct 21-22 in Payson. Got it!!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
james5150

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Tempe az.
Postings: 543
james5150 is on a distinguished road

Sorry couldn't make it this year chuck. Turns out my heart procedure came out perfect. No clogs no stent needed. Looking forward to Howlin at the moon this year.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

That's great news James! On your heart that is...
Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPI View Post
Did you say less skilled ADV type riders?!? WHEN??? WHERE??? Oh, Oct 21-22 in Payson. Got it!!
Az clubs are particularly active in off-road and the last 10yrs with DS has been a push. About 3yrs ago they put an effort to tone down the rides some for the ADV groups and a bit for both A and B riders too. There's been some increased participation but much more is needed. Fact is Az is very dirt bike oriented (at least at the club levels) and there's a lot of pressure inside the clubs to make the rides more dirt/skill level. Been good feedback from the B riders but not from the ADV crowd. Payson event they are going try something different with the ADV group.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

He did a nice job with the video. Its celebrating his first year on the KLR. He purchased it in Sacramento then moved to Flagstaff. Nearly all the dirt portions were during this 2 day event. A few shots of me and the two other guys (GS and DR).

https://youtu.be/gs2YebAsL9Y

Last edited by Chuck B; 07-26-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
james5150

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Tempe az.
Postings: 543
james5150 is on a distinguished road

Not sure what was up with the video think something is wrong with it. Seems to cut out most of the time.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Central Arizona
Postings: 2,820
Haldor will become famous soon enough

Worked fine for me. I recall some of that ride from last year. That mud would have been pretty terror inducing to me.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Worked fine for me. I recall some of that ride from last year. That mud would have been pretty terror inducing to me.
Other than the short route in/out of the Fort and the lunch spot on Saturday none of the trails/routes were the same as last year. Mud...there was a couple hours Sun AM it was darn near slippery. I don't often switch out my motards but I did knowing/expecting a bit of rain. Even the tires I did switch to were not 'knobby' enough but it was only a couple hours. Everything dried pretty quickly and conditions were epic.

Last edited by Chuck B; 07-28-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
Haldor
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Central Arizona
Postings: 2,820
Haldor will become famous soon enough

I guess one part of Flagstaff forest looks much like another.

That does explain some of the whoops we rode through last year, they were mud wallows prior.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:58 PM   #11
mkitchen

Super Cool Since: Feb 2014
Locale: Kingman AZ, the heart of rt. 66
Postings: 528
mkitchen is on a distinguished road

I was hoping to make this year's event but just got out of the hospital that Tuesday night and was still healing up. Looks like I will be shooting for the Howlin ride in Payson this fall.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Mikey...stay out of the hospitals. They are a dangerous place!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
mkitchen

Super Cool Since: Feb 2014
Locale: Kingman AZ, the heart of rt. 66
Postings: 528
mkitchen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Mikey...stay out of the hospitals. They are a dangerous place!
And this from someone who's wife is in the medical field.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Exactly...she scrubs up just as much leaving the hospital as she does going into surgery.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,245
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

cool video; looks like an epic ride. As I said to you, I did the HUMM Monashees this weekend and it was fun but it was very hot and dry (I can only dream of the rain you got!) and the trails weren't very difficult.....https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/eve...monashees-2017

still fun though

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
2017, flagstaff, madness, mountain