SiteLock
Gen 1? Really....Do they still exist? - Page 7 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 02-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #121
Danielsand

Super Cool Since: Jan 2018
Locale: In the West
Postings: 19
Danielsand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gen 1? Really....Do they still exist?

I am DFINITELY not an expert. I have very limited experience in dirt, but 40+ years on the slab (all over the world), and four seasons of racing Superbikes. I want tubeless tires on the track (and on the slab), but tubes off road (post above mine lists some VERY valid reasons for that).

Dropping the air pressure in tubeless tires (as we do when we go off pavement, and into the loose stuff), is pretty dicey, to say the least. If that bead breaks,......well, I don't have to draw you pictures here, do I? I would NOT take a bike with tubeless tires in the sand,......period.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #122
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,840
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Honda's intention for the AT was a dirt biased large displacement ADV bike. Thus the name CRF1000L Africa Twin. CRF and Africa Twin are two such clues. Must have done something right as KTM had to counter with the 1090. And as is usually the case the 1090 one up'd the AT in that category.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #123
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,253
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Honda's intention for the AT was a dirt biased large displacement ADV bike. Thus the name CRF1000L Africa Twin. CRF and Africa Twin are two such clues. Must have done something right as KTM had to counter with the 1090. And as is usually the case the 1090 one up'd the AT in that category.
Yes they did. Those Austrians love the top of the podium.

But the 1090 is too tall and too mean for me......and it doesn't have the scooter mode that my AT has.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #124
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 502
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I put up with Mitch's antics because they're funny... and sort of like when a cat wants in, and it paws ineffectively at the sliding glass door. After a while, you sort of take pity and let the flea bitten mouse eater in.

Surprised to see no one mentioned wheels when explaining why there's tubes in Honda tires.

Spokes are better in wheels when banging around off road...

Difficult to run tubeless with spokes.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #125
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
I put up with Mitch's antics because they're funny... and sort of like when a cat wants in.............
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #126
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
Yes they did. Those Austrians love the top of the podium.

But the 1090 is too tall and too mean for me......and it doesn't have the scooter mode that my AT has.
As you recall, I was really surprised how much I liked the AT offroad. IT would run circles around my Super Tenere. Downside of the AT is Honda managed to keep just enough CRF DNA in the chassis that you quickly override the suspension and front tire. (I'd take it over a Gen2 offroad) I had 3 front flats my first day on the AT while offroad. It just wants to go that much faster or seem its capable of going that much faster. 500lbs will ALWAYS be the common denominator. Law of physics...

KTM 1090 beats the honda engine wise (not hard to do) and suspension is better matched to its offroad capability. BUT...you still have that silly fact with law of physics. 500+lbs is still 500+lbs.

Truth is if it has two wheels and an engine I'm going to enjoy riding it. My XR100 is an absolute ball when you get 4 or 5 of us idiots doing figure 8 racing at the same time on them. I picked up a TW200 recently and I'm going to show up on that next time for our figure 8 races. I doubt I can out accelerate the XR but I know I can certainly run one over with little consequence lol.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #127
Danielsand

Super Cool Since: Jan 2018
Locale: In the West
Postings: 19
Danielsand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
Difficult to run tubeless with spokes.
Not THAT difficult. My R1200C has tubeless tires on spoke wheels.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #128
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
As you recall, I was really surprised how much I liked the AT offroad. IT would run circles around my Super Tenere. Downside of the AT is Honda managed to keep just enough CRF DNA in the chassis that you quickly override the suspension and front tire. (I'd take it over a Gen2 offroad) I had 3 front flats my first day on the AT while offroad. It just wants to go that much faster or seem its capable of going that much faster. 500lbs will ALWAYS be the common denominator. Law of physics...

KTM 1090 beats the honda engine wise (not hard to do) and suspension is better matched to its offroad capability. BUT...you still have that silly fact with law of physics. 500+lbs is still 500+lbs.

Truth is if it has two wheels and an engine I'm going to enjoy riding it. My XR100 is an absolute ball when you get 4 or 5 of us idiots doing figure 8 racing at the same time on them. I picked up a TW200 recently and I'm going to show up on that next time for our figure 8 races. I doubt I can out accelerate the XR but I know I can certainly run one over with little consequence lol.
Regarding the suspension limitations....Remember how I kinda went a little hog nuts with my Gen 2. Well......I did it again. I called Cogent. I will now have a full Ohlins suspension on the AT. I decided to not just replace the OEM cartridges with Ohlins cartridges.....I replaced the entire set of forks. It's a long story, but the bottom line is....I wanted them. I think this suspension could even handle the mad skillz of Chuck B......Instead it will be massively wasted on the lowly skills of Mitch. So sad

Pics below of the goodies.

And seeing how I was ALL-IN.....I also added one of these

Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #129
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

P.S. Of all my bikes I think the most fun per pound is the TW. My wife and I have a blast running around on gravel roads and trails. Completely gutless. Way limited suspension travel. But an absolute hoot to ride....like big mini bikes.

You should grab another one. Two is better than one.

By the way.....Did you see this?

https://youtu.be/BqxWY6X3Q6k

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #130
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,076
donA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
P.S. Of all my bikes I think the most fun per pound is the TW. My wife and I have a blast running around on gravel roads and trails. Completely gutless. Way limited suspension travel. But an absolute hoot to ride....like big mini bikes.

You should grab another one. Two is better than one.

By the way.....Did you see this?

https://youtu.be/BqxWY6X3Q6k

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tricking out your bikes ,Well that's just your style...That TW looks Awesome . I agree The TW's are a lot of fun, I definitely have sellers remorse

Last edited by donA; 02-14-2018 at 09:44 AM.
donA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #131
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Not a sad waste at all! In my experiences, dollar for dollar best money spent on a bike is suspension. It was about 20yrs ago when I had enough money along with sponsors with deep enough pockets to go full custom ohlins. It was a whole new bike and I became a much better rider.

Looking back at my racing there were 4 measurable moments that changed me;

1 finding an experienced racer who mentored me
2 learning suspension - how it works, how to setup, to revalve and adjust.
3 swallowing my pride and going from open class back down to 250cc road bikes. Little to no hp teaches you riding skills/strategy you can't get with high HP bikes.
4 application of GPS and telemetry software. Just eye-opening what you can learn

Last edited by Chuck B; 02-14-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #132
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 502
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
Not THAT difficult. My R1200C has tubeless tires on spoke wheels.
Explain that to Honda, I'm sure they'll offer it as an option. Comparing the goodies on an R1200 and a Honda AT is like saying why doesn't my sedan come with racing wheels...

Spoked wheels are better offroad than cast wheels... tubed tires are needed for spoked wheels, unless you spend money to get sealed spokes... good luck getting Honda to include that at their price point.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #133
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,590
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Regarding the suspension limitations....Remember how I kinda went a little hog nuts with my Gen 2. Well......I did it again. I called Cogent. I will now have a full Ohlins suspension on the AT. I decided to not just replace the OEM cartridges with Ohlins cartridges.....I replaced the entire set of forks.
Nicely done! .....why am I not surprized?

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #134
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by donA View Post
Tricking out your bikes ,Well that's just your style...That TW looks Awesome . I agree The TW's are a lot of fun, I definitely have sellers remorse
Hi Don -

The TW's are safe in my shop. I tested my wife some time ago by saying "I'm thinking about selling the TW's" She spun around and gave me the stink eye followed immediately with "NO YOU'RE NOT. If you want to sell one of your bikes, go ahead, but you're not selling mine". I'm happy I didn't lose a testicle.

Favorite TW video....posted before, but just a good vibe video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0BEYGh3C8

EDIT......Note at 1:35 the guy is doing a Chuck B impression.

Last edited by "Mitch"; 02-14-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #135
"Mitch"
Level 3 Honda Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Nicely done! .....why am I not surprized?

Dave
You got that right.

But I sure enjoy upgrading my bikes. I know I'll never get the most out of them, but I also like knowing that they are set up perfectly for me.

Rick at Cogent is fantastic. He sat on the phone with me for about 45 minutes talking about what I want to do, some issues with the AT forks, options, and then helped me think through what would be good solutions. He definitely did not sell me the Ohlins forks....I bought them. We both knew I didn't need them....at all. But like I said, I wanted them so he was happy to call Ohlins and find a set for me. They are on the way from Sweden.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #136
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

That was a cool TW video. Hmmm...its got me thinking. Maybe I'll sneak out in the desert with the TW. Maybe my better half won't notice? Who am I kidding...she'd kill me if I put the first scratch on it. I tried getting her to just drop it in the driveway just to get rid of the bad karma with a new bike. Of course, she responded I don't recall you 'dropping' the Tenere when you first brought it home. True...

Edit...in the one pix from the TW video at the Grand Canyon was at Toroweep. Thats a heck of ride to get there on a TW. hats off...

Last edited by Chuck B; 02-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exist, gen, reallydo