SiteLock
First impressions after 2000km - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Ontario Riders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
StittsvilleKLR
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2015
Locale: Ottawa
Postings: 35
StittsvilleKLR is on a distinguished road
Default First impressions after 2000km

I just got my M1 in March and put 2000km on my stock 2015 KLR650 over the last 9 weeks since then. Just wanted to throw out my first impressions, keeping in mind that Iím a newbie and donít have a lot to compare to.
- The bike starts fine at -5C and works great in the cold. Did a 320km round trip Ottawa to Kingston and it was -2C on the trip down.
- The bike works great in the heat. Stop and go commute to work at +27C and the temperature gauge stays good.
- Iím 6 foot 185lbs and the bike is a good size for me. On a muddy single track the bike is a bit tall when you need to get a foot down quick. I think anyone under 6 foot may find it a bit hard to handle in certain places.
- No problem running at highway speeds or stopping hard on wet pavement with original tires. Iím sure Iíll get more opinionated on tires later.
- I seem to be getting between 48 to 52mpg at every fill up (4.9 to 4.5 L/100km).
- Has enough power to pass a car when you need to on the highway.
- A heavy bike, but still light enough to maneuver. Got into a bad spot off road and had to backtrack. Left hand on the handlebar, grab the back rack with the right, lean it towards you, and itís fairly easy to drag it around 180 degrees in the dirt if needed.
- Haven't dropped it yet...
- Only mechanical issue so far: the choke wouldnít stay engaged and a cable adjustment didnít help. The switch was replaced under warranty and that solved the problem.

Summary: Great bike, no complaints, perfect bike for me, lots of fun.

On to my next 2000kmÖ
StittsvilleKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Robert Bell
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Postings: 31
Robert Bell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First impressions after 2000km

Keep Riding it! The more you ride the more you will appreciate it. It's not just the KLR but dual sports in general. I moved from the KLR to a KTM but it hasn't changed my riding that much...ok, I am a little less strategic when passing cars! I put 30k or so on the KLR and never stopped enjoying it. Have fun Ride safe and give us ab
N update in another 2k.
Robert Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
gixerjr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Ontario Canada
Postings: 23
gixerjr is on a distinguished road

Hey stittsvilleKlr was wondering if you reached the next 20,000 km,s yet ? I just became the proud owner of a camo gen 2. The spring cant come fast enough.
gixerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
StittsvilleKLR
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2015
Locale: Ottawa
Postings: 35
StittsvilleKLR is on a distinguished road

gixerjr, I ended up putting just over 7,000km on it last summer. The bike worked great. I was riding right up until the first week of December when the snow arrived. Looking forward to getting back on the road in a few weeks for my 2nd season. My rear stock Dunlop is near the end so I'm currently researching tires to get ready. Spring is getting close, enjoy the bike!
StittsvilleKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
gixerjr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Ontario Canada
Postings: 23
gixerjr is on a distinguished road

wow 7,000 km,s its just broken in. I have put just 800 km as of Friday and was planning on putting more but got my first flat tire in 30+ years of riding.
stupid screw.. tried patching but didn't work. Just picked up a tuff tube for the front and will install it Monday while its raining.
gixerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
2000km, impressions