SiteLock
Goodbye KLR, and thanks - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Ontario Riders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
tmcconne
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2014
Locale: Ottawa Canada
Postings: 55
tmcconne is on a distinguished road
Default Goodbye KLR, and thanks

Just traded my 08 KLR for a CB500X, I just want something a bit different, for a change.

BUT....I will be in getting an excellent 2010 XLR when this summer is finished!

My friend is moving overseas, and sadly (for him) needs to leave his bike behind and guess who will be getting it???
His bike is farkled to hell and back as well, so it works out perfectly for me.

This site has been an awesome reference and the people who participate on it are great.
The venerable KLR certainly invokes some loyalty and passion for sure. My KLR has been nothing short of remarkably robust and reliable. It never let me down, not once.

From an Ottawa perspective....

Buying the CBX was the worst purchasing experience I have ever had out of about 12 or 13 motorcycles that I have owned.

I found the soursports sales management folk to be uninformative, non communicative, disconnected and unhelpful and eventually aggressive and unpleasant.

I traded my KLR650, and paid the difference for the new bike.
Unfortunately, I could not find my MTO ownership details for the KLR although I could find my purchase documentation (from a dealer).
I was there from 1:30 pm today, and for about 2 hours yesterday buying the bike, and they could have just contacted MTO and sorted it all out easily, but at about 5:30 pm today after two trips home in peak hour traffic to try and find it they tell me they'll have to contact MTO TOMORROW and I cant take the bike that I've paid for, home. This after spending a total of about 4 hours in the shop.

When the sales manager read the mechanics report, he immediately said (verbatim quote) "The chain is worn out". In actual fact the chain is an expensive O ring chain and both sprockets were replaced about a month ago, they'd be lucky to have done 500 klms. Then the engine had a 'funny' noise. This implied to me that Sowersports have limited credibility in the mechanical department, and maybe were just looking for a reason to chop down the price. How can you be so wrong about a new chain?

The sales manager accused me of trying to fraudulently (his word) sell a motorbike! Which was weird. Then I said I wanted to back out of the deal as it was becoming too much of a hassle he wouldn't let me. He even tried to say that I needed to pay about $500 for 'setup' or whatever they call it for the new bike. Even though the sale document only showed a charge of $109 for this. I felt this was sneaky and probably not the way that Honda want to be represented.

The worst and weirdest purchasing experience I've ever had.

I'd try Kanata Honda if you're in Ottawa and looking for a Honda, it surely can't be worse.

On a good note though I cant wait to get the bike and be done with Powersports tomorrow, Apparently the weather will be great this weekend!
tmcconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
bigHklr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: MN
Postings: 146
bigHklr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Goodbye KLR, and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconne View Post

On a good note though I cant wait to get the bike and be done with Powersports tomorrow, Apparently the weather will be great this weekend!
Seriously...you just justified to them that they can get away with this behavior (ripping people off). I'd be willing to bet the 'delays' were on purpose...they had your money that you easily parted with and decided to see if they could get more. -I don't know the laws in Canada but you should still walk away if you can...the sales manager does not have a say if the law is behind you.

Know your laws/pass money only after everything is final/if the seller seems like a 'Richard Cranium' walk away and tell them why.

The 500x seems like a neat little bike, good luck.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Ryan Carman

Super Cool Since: Oct 2012
Locale: Ottawa
Postings: 344
Ryan Carman is on a distinguished road

None of this surprises me, the place is a shady ass flea market. I bought a bike there last year, only because the price was really good. They where asking 4999 and i paid 3500 The bike was sitting in their showroom for a long time, and they didn't know what to do with it.

Have you given them a deposit?

If it's not too late scrap the deal. Seriously. They aren't done trying to rip you off, I can promise you that.

I you haven't spent any money I would take your klr to kanata and see what they have to offer. I'm sure they where lowballing you on the trade value.

I would be willing to bet you could unload the KLR quickly on Kijiji for more than what they where offering but less than the market value

Soursports... I like it.
Ryan Carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
drifteast

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Ottawa, Ontario
Postings: 689
drifteast is on a distinguished road

When I was looking for a Yamaha, I checked out all 3 dealerships in Ottawa, all had horror stories online (taken with a grain of salt of course)... I didn't have too much interaction with Soursports but just enough to turn me off and make me go elsewhere. Sorry you had such a crappy experience, but thanks for sharing here, people need to know.

I've only owned two bikes in my life; one I bought in Chatham, the other in Petawawa...
Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Chipcard
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2013
Locale: Ottawa, on
Postings: 94
Chipcard is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to chip in ... I went there a couple of times, never to buy a bike, but just for safety checks, questions, repairs on my CBR250r ... I can't honestly tell that I had bad service. The only thing I noticed every time is that they were understaffed, the girl sitting behind her service desk with piles of paperwork, looking exhausted. But they always been polite and tried to assist me. When I got my bike inspected and they didn't come up with unexpected extras ... When I had this weird high RPM idle problem, they contacted Honda Canada and came back with an honest answer.

That said, its not the sales ... Just for all the horror stories I read, I'd never buy a bike there.
Chipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Robert Bell
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Postings: 31
Robert Bell is on a distinguished road

Good Luck with the CB and thanks for the info on the dealerships. I'm considering putting my trusty KLR up for sale as well. I love the bike and the support community is amazing but I am lusting after a big KTM or GSA and with 5 bikes in the garage something has to go. (I also have a 1982 CB 450T, awesome little bike). If you know anyone looking for a well maintained, low Km KLR please PM me. KLR or not, I'll still be on the site for the local ride info and general discussion.
Robert Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
tmcconne
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2014
Locale: Ottawa Canada
Postings: 55
tmcconne is on a distinguished road

The CBX is a nice little bike. I did about 3000 klm last summer. I probably will get rid of it and go for something bigger. Perhaps a weeStrom. Haven't decided yet. Lovely motor, but not the amount of grunt that I would like, which is to be expected from a 500cc engine.

I want to do a ride to Newfoundland this summer. I might take the CBX yet, still thinking about it. It is a nice bike in many ways. The only improvements that I would make if I was keeping it would be shocks, front and back, but especially front. It can go many of the places a klr can go, including dirt, but doesn't have the clearance so you need to nurse it a bit. Reliability wise only time will tell, but I had no problems which is to be expected in a new bike, heck, its a Honda. The klr has more potential and you know that depending upon your riding ability you can get more off the beaten path. Also great confidence in its ability to take a beating and keep working. It doesnt hurt knowing that you can probably fix the thing either if it breaks down somewhere. Maybe I'm talking myself into another one ��
tmcconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
goodbye, klr