SiteLock
My tachometer is acting up - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Rockdoc
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: On the road less traveled... AZ
Postings: 202
Rockdoc is on a distinguished road
Default My tachometer is acting up

I began riding my 1990 KLR250 after having it sit idle for a few months. As usual it runs great but my tachometer is reading funny. It reads about half what the engine RPM should be, for instance when it should be reading about 5,000rpm it’ll read about 2,500rpm. Does anyone have any idea about what might be causing the problem?

Steve

I’d like to die peacefully in my sleep, like my granddad, and not die screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Rockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
kidflyr

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Ukiah, California
Postings: 417
kidflyr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My tachometer is acting up

How's your battery? Resting voltage and electrolyte level? Tach acting up, underreporting RPM has been an indicator to check on the battery in my experience. Check the main fuse too while you're at it. I popped mine with a hasty horn relay setup a few years ago and the tach behaved erratically.

Support this awesome resource! Go Premium!

1993 KLR250 * Titanium tibia * Kenda K761 tires * Airbox de-snorkled & opened up * PCV valve * UNI bulk foam filter * Modified exhaust port * 38pilot/135main * Capacitors in parallel with battery * LEDs all around * Jeffsaline's headlight relay * 16 tooth countershaft sprocket/40 tooth rear * WOLO "Bad Boy" horn
kidflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Rockdoc
A Regular

Thanks kidflr, my batteries about 4 years old and may well be the problem. Particularly, since the bike's been sitting a lot lately. I'll check it out. I have a new dog and I need to teach him how to ride on the seat behind me (LOL).

Steve

I’d like to die peacefully in my sleep, like my granddad, and not die screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Ax4x4
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Overgaard, AZ
Postings: 8
Ax4x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
..I have a new dog and I need to teach him how to ride on the seat behind me (LOL)..
What kind of dog did you get, Steve? We've got two, a MinPin and a Husky. We keep them away from the chickens, and they're good to have around. Haven't tried to teach one to ride yet though!..
Ax4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Rockdoc
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax4x4 View Post
What kind of dog did you get, Steve? We've got two, a MinPin and a Husky. We keep them away from the chickens, and they're good to have around. Haven't tried to teach one to ride yet though!..
At 35lbs I have what must be one of the worlds smallest Golden Retrievers, you could say that he's an RV size Golden. He's a really nice dog and a great companion, but so were the last two Golden's I had.

Steve

Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Ax4x4
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Overgaard, AZ
Postings: 8
Ax4x4 is on a distinguished road

Goldens are great. My daughter's Golden just had cancer surgery. Seems that can be an issue with the breed. Hope you enjoy many healthy and happpy years with your dog..
Ax4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
acting, tachometer