SiteLock
Top rack suggestions? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 12-06-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
Intifada

Super Cool Since: Sep 2015
Locale: Western Australia
Postings: 63
Intifada is on a distinguished road
Default Top rack suggestions?

Any suggestions on a top rack? I'm getting a Givi 58L Trekker Outback, it's big and expensive but I need something big, secure, lockable and removable to store my laptop, cameras and other valuables. Is there any real difference in racks or are they much the same? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 353
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: Top rack suggestions?

It's not the rack, but what's UNDER the rack.

Before you mount a large/heavy top box, think twice. There's a load limit... only 20lbs I believe... and while people violate this consistently (I do/did) You may want to beef up the frame underneath.

There's a thin bar that goes up and over... two bolts go into the top of this tube, and two come up from beneath... pretty much opposite each other.

This is fixable. Drill through, use 2 longer bolts instead of 4. While you have the deck off, perhaps have someone weld some gussets to help support the weight.

I'd also like to point out, nothing is secure. If I really wanted what was in your top box, there's easy ways to get it.

Perhaps, if it's a laptop you're worried about (and vibration can kill a platter hard drive, not to mention stress nearly every solder joint there is) then think about side boxes with foam inserts to limit the amount of movement. If you get the right rack, you can mount removable cases... and your transport box becomes your laptop case. Just as secure as a top box.

Which means, not very.

If I'm reading your question correctly, the deck is next to irrelevant compared to the mounting hardware/configuration underneath.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I looked up your box. You've covered the manufacturer's weight limit with just the case alone.

Think about it for a sec... the KLR vibrates already, if you put significant weight on the deck, that's going to stress those welds a whole lot more... and the bolts holding it on are going to be just as stressed, and there's not much thread holding that rear deck on in some places.

Odds are you could put 50lbs on that deck, and ride for years without a problem.

I just don't know what those odds actually are.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,547
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

That much weight up that high and that far back is very likely to throw the bike into uncontrollable steering oscillations and become a learning experience.

My setup is less of a load up high than you propose. https://www.dirtracks.com/collections...-mounting-rack and then mount two Seahorse 720 cases or the next size larger 700 series would be good too. On top is a rounded Givi ripoff that holds two helmets when local around town, but on trip held two laptops, a gps, toolkit and misc maps. I still didn't pack right, weight up high. When I added 6 liters of gatorade on top at a rushed stop it caused uncontrollable steering oscillation on freeway resulting in change of underwear then completely repacking to move anything heavier than socks down low in the seahorse cases. Everything survived 5k miles just fine.

Up high is real bad for a laptop anyways as a parking lot tip-over is enough to break one, but low they're safe in same tip-over.

Bike taught me. Didn't listen well enough to folk here.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,422
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

I have the Trekker 46L top case mounted to the Givi universal plastic mounting platform. The top case easily holds a lap top and it will also hold a weeks worth of groceries.

I did modify the way the platform attaches to the KLR tail section.

This combination has worked well for me for four years now.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

Further to my post above, following is a picture showing the Givi top case mounted to the plastic Givi platform. You'll notice that in order to maintain access to the OEM tool kit I had to mount the Givi platform more reward than is considered optimum. This more reward position moves the weight of the case and it's contents too far back for optimum handling. However, I've lived with this arrangement for over four years and have not experienced any life-threatening wobbles from carrying loads in excess of 20 lbs.

You'll notice in the second pic that there are (6) six fasteners securing the Givi platform to the tail section on my Gen II KLR. The two Phillips screws toward the front of the platform are actually threaded into two nuts that are tack welded to the frame on a Gen II.

The two socket head cap screws at the rear of the platform are bolted to the thin metal frame that forms the underlying perimeter of the rear tail section on my KLR. However, I had to drill two holes in this frame in order to make the two connections with nuts beneath.

Lastly, the two socket head cap screws that are positioned an inch or so forward of the most rearward cap screws are secured with nuts and washers to the plastic tail section.

I realize that this platform mounting system seems hokey, but it seems to work well, for me anyway.

I use the top case daily and would not think of removing it.

Hope this helps.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	65548  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	65549  

Last edited by Norton 850; 12-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,547
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

Have both the regular and wide JC Whitney cases (no longer sold) and mount it back like that so can get at the OEM toolbox which contains nothing but spare headlamp and light bulbs.

Do two full face helmets fit in that wide GIVI? So convenient to lock up the helmets.

Last edited by WiRider; 12-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,683
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

SW Motech sells a rack that replaces the factory inset piece. Its nice as it has pre-drilled holes for the Givi system. I run a Givi 36L on occasion. Nice to just click in and out. Others have already warned of weight and weak points on the KLR rear subframe. Personally, I do carry a laptop often and I always carry it in a courier bag. I would not put it in a case on a bike. IF I did I would have proper foam in place so the laptop is isolated from vibrations. Movement on the rear rack is a LOT more than most realize. Laptop and anything that is delicate must be secured effectively. In my experiences, effective usually doesn't hold up well. I keep soft items to the topcase or in many cases its empty till I arrive and my riding gear goes in.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
SW Motech sells a rack that replaces the factory inset piece. Its nice as it has pre-drilled holes for the Givi system.
Could you post a picture of this "rack"?

Thanks!

Jason
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Merritt64

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 306
Merritt64 is on a distinguished road

Replace the OEM top rack with a Cycleracks.com rack and never worry about weight again. I have one with a Givi top case and Givi universal rack adapter and it works great. You can even pick up the rear of the bike with the cycle rack. Loading weight up high is still an issue though.
Merritt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt64 View Post
Replace the OEM top rack with a Cycleracks.com rack and never worry about weight again. I have one with a Givi top case and Givi universal rack adapter and it works great. You can even pick up the rear of the bike with the cycle rack. Loading weight up high is still an issue though.
Good find! I like it.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Pollack

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: In Transit
Postings: 354
Pollack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post

Thanks!

Jason

Sorry, I can't get it to display the image.

Best regards,

Last edited by Pollack; 12-07-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Pollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #13
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Thanks!

Jason
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...lican-topcases
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Thanks for the link Chuck.

It appears that the "toprack" is made from ~3/16" thick mild steel plate? If so, I wonder why they didn't use aluminum?

Best,

Jason
Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #15
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Thanks for the link Chuck.

It appears that the "toprack" is made from ~3/16" thick mild steel plate? If so, I wonder why they didn't use aluminum?

Best,

Jason
Costs...its a KLR and what's a little steel?
Sponsored links

Tags
rack, suggestions, top