SiteLock
Interesting carb findings - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 171
Zz- is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting carb findings

So, nature decided that we should go from 10 degrees to 60 in three days (and back to twenty tomorrow). The snow melt was so bad that as soon as I pulled my bike out it was dripping from condensation. Then heavy rain set in minutes later.

So. Similarly to the failure I experienced in the snow the carburetor was exhibiting the same stutter solved by throttling. Obviously moisture making it's way in to the mix.

This got me thinking. Was it really the cold or the moisture last time my bike threw a fit. Obviously both play a part, but considering the temperature gap and severity of the stutter I'm inclined to think the moisture is the primary culprit. I've noticed this in the past, but never has it been this moist or severe in effect.

Are there any workarounds known or easily available? Or will I have to experiment?
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,822
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Interesting carb findings

Just add the appropriate amount of HEET fuel additive and see if that resolves your problem. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/he...water-remover/
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Jakwriter
Because why not?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Corvallis OR
Postings: 110
Jakwriter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsDarkSide View Post
Just add the appropriate amount of HEET fuel additive and see if that resolves your problem. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/he...water-remover/
I'd say that'd do the trick. But I think storing your bike next to the fireplace would be more romantic.

No one rides a motorcycle to be safe. Then again, danger has a way of clarifying things.

"neither trucks nor attack trees will stay this rider from her appointed trails .... " - LaurieD
Jakwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Archangel44
A Regular

Locale: Garner, NC
Postings: 57
Archangel44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakwriter View Post
I'd say that'd do the trick. But I think storing your bike next to the fireplace would be more romantic.
LOL
That just made me laugh.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
GoMotor
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 7,335
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

If you are thinking you have water in the carburetor, put a cup/cap/lid under the drain nipple and open the drain screw. Look for water in the drainage.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,205
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Is the bike doing anything else weird, like having trouble maintaining 70+ mph? Maybe running warmer than it has before? Could be a problem with the petcock.
I had a stalling issue in rain, high humidity and thermal inversions. I also had a lean condition that I could not seem to get adjusted properly. In my case, I finally identified the cause as a small tear in the vacuum diaphram part of the petcock. You can check this by using a handheld vacuum pump and see if the petcock is holding vacuum. I also had a loose petcock outlet pipe, so I decided to put on the manual Raptor petcock and capped the carb vacuum port. I may put a new Kawi KLR petcock back on in the future, but Iím pretty used to the manual lever now. I reset the carb and my mileage & power were restored. Just something to check. Todayís fuel is very hard on the rubber parts.

Good Luck,
TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 ABS ADV

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 01-13-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Zz-
A Regular

Jeff, I'll give that a try.

Jak, sadly I don't have a fireplace.

Go, the issue vanishes with the moisture and rain so I don't think so

Tumbleweed, other than the speedo cable snapping like a twig in the cold twice it's fine. Oddly after the service I was pulling only 90 and it was not getting to speed like usual. A week in now it's hitting 100 with some room. Diminished? I don't think so. This seems like normal deviation now.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Zz-
A Regular

So I looked into heet. I'm not sure it would help much on its own. I observed the air filter was becoming saturated on a test run. I'm going to experiment with permanent pre filters to catch moisture and drain the condensation at the snorkel. That and maybe higher octane fuel.

Last edited by Zz-; 01-21-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
GoMotor
Been here a while

GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Moisture getting into the fuel anywhere up to and including the float bowl would collect in the bottom of the bowl and show up when drained.

Air/moisture leakage on the vacuum side of the carburetor should be detectable by squirting WD40 or starting fluid around that area. A leak there even without the moisture should still be noticeable.

Any chance moisture is leaking in on the air box side?
A small amount of moisture in the entering air stream shouldn't cause a big problem.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Zz-
A Regular

So. I take it this isn't typical? If so the second point sounds like I should check it. I at least don't think it's collecting because I can park it stuttering. If there's less moisture in the air it starts up like nothing happened.

And to be honest I don't know. I checked it at 3000ish miles many months ago because I was suspicious of some light stuttering. I found nothing then. Maybe I check and see later.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
GoMotor
Been here a while

Your description doesn't sound like water in the carburetor to me. Maybe water in electrical components.

You have nothing to loose by squirting WD40 down the key hole when this occurs.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,205
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Iím thinking it is an intake leak still. Electrical issues, especially a grounding plug wire is possible though. Check the wire where it could be making contact with the valve cover. Often there is a small groove worn. If conditions are right -the spark could jump out of the groove. A couple of wraps of electrical tape will restore the insulation. But if this was the problem. Throttling out of the stumble most likely would not work. So, back to a minor intake leak. It does not take much water vapor to mess up combustion. And adding Throttle does overcome the leak.

Good idea to spray the petcock with a shot of starting fluid just to eliminate it. Then move on to the inlet boot, between carb and head -check the clamps and the condition of the rubber. Inspect all your vacuum and breather lines. Also check the bottom of the airbox above the exhaust pipe/header joint. Been known to melt there if the header gasket fails.

But it is a KLR and anything is possible. Thankfully they are simple machines and parts are easily obtained, once you narrow it down.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 ABS ADV

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

I have a new Photo Album in the Gallery. Send me a PM if you would like me to upload a photo from one of my old threads with broken Photobucket links.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:13 AM   #13
Zz-
A Regular

Alright. Thanks guys. I tried to find what was the matter yesterday in the rain but nothing happened. I'll see to those things.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
TeflonTrout
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Postings: 106
TeflonTrout is on a distinguished road

For what little it's worth, I regularly ride in torrential downpours. When it's really coming down my 2013 seems even zestier than usual; gotta be one of the issues mentioned above.

Good luck!

Oh, and for the vacuum leak test, a vacuum pump was mentioned? You could do that, OR, you could do it like the first time I drained the tank. Run a clean vacuum hose onto the vacuum port of the petcock, pretend it's a straw going into a good thick malt, and plug it with your tongue.

Neighbors asked if I was okay, but I could only give a thumbs up and shrug
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
carb, findings, interesting