SiteLock
trail fail XD - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
rivervalleyrider

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 14
rivervalleyrider is on a distinguished road
Default trail fail XD

it was windy today so i thought i'd seek some shelter on a trail, seeing as how the klr seems to think it is a sail in a side wind. i come across a nice kinda slippy, muddy, hilly double track and proceed to have a grand time until the track gets a little less traveled.

i seem to be fine with handling the bike squirming around and getting through less than smooth terrain(good thing I watched long way round), but once i cant find a way though i get in trouble. I struggle to read the terrain, i could probably follow well enough, but i tend to be the architect of my own destruction in regards to decision making. I should mention I have only put 700 miles on my gen 1, over half of them gravel or sloppier. I have over ten years street riding exp, but none off road.

The hills are starting to get bigger, steeper and slicker, which only adds to my enjoyment until i come around a blind corner, down a steep hill with a big pile of fallen over tree at the bottom. I could have gotten over the tree, but the trail turned from dbl track to deer track on the other side of the trees. Not to mention the hill past the tree pile might as well have had a sign that said deer only.

The decision to turn around was made for me by nature/the trail i guess, but i should have stopped at the top of the hill, could have saved myself some severe exercise. Let me set the scene, i'm pointing down hill, front wheel up to the tree pile(slid down the hill most of the way... good times), I manage to get the bike side ways on the track by lifting the rear and swinging it.

For some reason I am still having fun at this point. The bike gets stuck side ways on the track so i fire it up and start to try to work it out of the rut, and end up with the bike on top of me... i actually lol'd a little, i just learned what the klr/me can take... it wasnt bad at all, both of us were unhurt. Since it was on its side, i seized the opportunity to slide it around the rest of the way on its side, and promptly scoop it up off the ground. This is where the fun stops.

I had to walk it up 50 ish ft of slippy steep dbl track. Walking beside it and running it is hard work up hill. This is where the fore mentioned exercise happened. My legs barely worked when i got the bike to the top of the hill, after one more drop of course.... bike still fine, things a friggin tank, apparently. Best part was i still had to walk back down the hill to get my helmet, and back up again.

Managed to get out of the woods and back home with out having to drag some poor sucker out to the woods to help me retrieve the bike, so it was a success.

Bike came with a 6.6 gal tank, highway peg/engine guard, lower bash plate, and block tread conti's. It could stand some rear guards/racks but all in all an impressive performance from the machine. Pretty sure there will be more of these shenanigans in my future. Today was not a deterrent, just educational.
rivervalleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
BeltFedBren

Super Cool Since: Jan 2014
Locale: USA
Postings: 583
BeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: trail fail XD

Been there, done that. It SUCKS!

I was fortunate enough to see a boulder up ahead on some single track and noticed there wasn't much beyond it. The trail dropped about 12" off that boulder and took a turn soon thereafter. I'm sure I could have gotten down easily enough, but worried about getting back up if i'd hit a snag further down the trail.

I decided to turn the bike around, manually, on a very skinny trail, surrounded by cactus.

Live and learn. That was a long time ago. These days I think I would have kept going.
BeltFedBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
SilverCityzen
Site Supporter

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: Southwest United States
Postings: 646
SilverCityzen is on a distinguished road

Heh, that's my biggest fear with the KLR, and one I have experienced more than once... getting into a situation where I'm in trouble before I know it, and need to turn around in a bad situation. I've never actually ended up UNDER it (very thankful for that), but have definitely had some... interesting... times.

My biggest single problem is that I'm too short on one end... having a 36" or more inseam would make a big difference, I think. I've gone down more than once from needing to dab a foot down for stability, and just could not reach the ground in time.

Glad you made it out OK! And yeah, once out of those situations, they do seem to settle in as "lesson learned", not so much "why the #@%$!@ did I get this monster!"

Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
rivervalleyrider

Yeah, a couple more inches of inseam would help alot with the dropsy. I can flat foot the bike on flat ground... with my boots on. It does get top heavy once the momentum stops... probably best to just keep going.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
8bit

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: TX
Postings: 1,073
8bit will become famous soon enough8bit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervalleyrider View Post
It does get top heavy once the momentum stops... probably best to just keep going.
You said a mouthful there.

8bit - King of Stall-n-Fall™

Men of quality are not threatened by women of equality.
-
-
8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
rivervalleyrider

mines usually still running when the bars touch the ground. i did manage to flip the kill switch once after i realized it was happening.
Sponsored links

Tags
fail, trail