SiteLock
Changing tires - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
ramitupurs84
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Bay City, MI
Postings: 25
ramitupurs84 is on a distinguished road
Default Changing tires

New to motorcycles.

Looking at putting some new shoes on the KLR this winter. I've watched some youtubes, but is there weights that need to go on? New tubes too? Easy to do with just spoons?
ramitupurs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 269
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: Changing tires

Yes, yes, yes, and yes...

Do the wheels benefit from balancing? Depends, but overall, yes. There's those that don't, and depending on the tire and how you use it, balancing is a waste of time.

New tubes, old tubes... here's a thought.. if you take your old tubes, make them spares, and use new tubes, swapping tubes old as spares every time you change tires... Until you get a feel for how your tubes wear based on what you're doing. When I was commuting freeways, my tubes lasted forever... so I kept a spare set and ran them for a while... around 30k miles... like everything else, you mileage WILL vary.

If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong. You can easily do tires with a few tools... a couple of spoons you like, a bead buddy, some lube, and something to break the bead with.

Lube, lube, lube, technique, lube, lube, lube... watch the opposite side, make sure the bead stays in the channel...

Remember, if it's difficult, odds are you're doing it wrong...
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 346
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
Lube, lube, lube, technique, lube, lube, lube...
We're still talking tires, right?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
ramitupurs84
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Bay City, MI
Postings: 25
ramitupurs84 is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for that time consuming reply. I'm planning on going with IRC GP1 or Mefo Explorer's. I really still in the research stage. They are going on a 2014 with 1,500 miles. What limited off-road (wash board dirt roads) they had me puckering. My buddy and I are also planning a trip next summer to do some type of adventure trail in either Kentucky or Michigan. I bought the bike in July and just got my endorsement. I almost have 600 miles on it already. I plan on doing the doo this winter too. Game plan is I'm ready as soon as the snow starts thawing. Most of my riding will be Road but I plan on doing a lot of trail riding on state trails. Riding to them to use them if you will. I assume balancing is prolly important in that scenario. Where would one get that done at - dealership, a auto tire shop???I like the idea of keeping the old tubes for spares. Is there a brand to use or preferred? I've heard Moose? I've seen winddex used as I assume a lubricant in videos. Any spoons you'd recommend or other tools - is that the brand of the name you'd recommend?
ramitupurs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Now you're asking for specifics...

Everyone has their own preference.

Here's mine.

Murphy's oil soap for lube. Mixed with a bit of water, it goes further. I usually have a small bottle of oil soap, then mix it in a bottle of water. You can use it straight, but in a 1:4 ratio, it works even better.

Lever selection is individual as well. I like a less aggressive profile. Some like motion pro, I like Tusk. it's your preference. I do just fine with less aggressive... so I use them.

Bead buddy is mandatory. You COULD use a third lever, but the bead buddy is better imo. I've used the t-6 a few times with success. If you're not careful, you can break the nylon screw, so maybe replace it with brass...

Tubes are up to you as well. Some prefer natural rubber, and some have no issue with synthetic. Regular, heavy duty, both have pluses and minuses. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/2459/Tubes Read the reviews...

Balancing... well, you can balance at home. Several outlets sell balancers... I don't buy them, I ghetto balance. A pair of jackstands, a well greased axle, and a few minutes is all it takes to get "close enough" for me.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
We're still talking tires, right?
Of COURSE we are....

Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,769
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

So here is another side of the coin:

Lube. Lots of it and I like straight Murphy's oil soap but almost anything will work. I used windex for many years.

My levers (for shop use) are medium length and very dull and rounded (non aggressive). I have a bead buddy but don't like it. 3 levers for me.

I wouldn't do new tubes at 1,500 miles unless there is a problem, multiple patches or a corroded valve stem. Buying new i like standard rubber tubes. The HD tubes are just harder to work with and I don't think they offer any better puncture protection. I also run slime in all my KLR tubes and have never had a flat. It might even aid in balancing the tires .

Balancing. I don't do it. if I had a noticeable problem I would but I get good life, normal wear and little if any vibrations at my handlebars.

Clean your rims good when you get your tires off. File any rough edges from road dings or past tire iron gouges. Use baby powder on your slightly inflated tube when putting it back in. The valve pfishing tool is a nice to have item that will save your knuckles some skin. If spooning your tires on is hard you need to pull the bottom bead up into the center of the rim and push the top bead down into the center of the rim. Once you get that right with plenty of lube the last 8" of tire should slide on with minimal effort. Be slow and deliberate with those irons being sure not to pinch the tube.

Good luck, take your time and make it fun........meaning have a , some good music playing and have the dogs out with you. Everything goes better when the dogs are around!

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 09-08-2017 at 08:50 AM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #8
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,608
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

I've said it a few times...changing tires is 80% technique, 15% proper tools and 5% effort. If you are struggling you are doing it wrong. It REALLY helps to have someone who has proper technique to coach you along and understand you won't get good at it the 1st time or the 6th time. Takes practice...

For a good visual and one technique go to youtube and search "doug tire changing" its a 5 or 6 part video. It really is that easy...

At a tech a number of years ago I was tutoring Robertz. He struggled a bit and with a little help at the end he got the tire installed. I immediately pulled the tire off and handed it back and said, "lets do it again". Its a good thing we had plenty of cookies on hand...

I use RuGlyde for lube...available at Napa Auto. Its same as Murphy soap with a little ethylene glycol and other ingredients. I also keep No Mar tire paste on hand...really good stuff too. Tools...most of mine are now from MotionPro.com. Bead buddy is mandatory and I like the older shorter irons with the small heads. I don't care for spoons though they are ok for the no working iron. 3 irons are ideal. 1 is working the other 2 are just holding.

Last edited by Chuck B; 09-10-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Pollack

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: In Transit
Postings: 352
Pollack is on a distinguished road

If you have to change a tire on the road, what kind of lubricant do you recommend? Thanks.

Best regards,
Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
Arizona_Elwood

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 646
Arizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutArizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
If you have to change a tire on the road, what kind of lubricant do you recommend?
Use what you have.. if you are toolin around town.. get a ride home.. do it in your garage.. crack a beer & get to it when you want to..

If you are out in the sticks? Well, you have some camping/cooking gear with you right? Dish-washing soap? butter even.. kill a boar & use bacon grease...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #11
Pollack

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: In Transit
Postings: 352
Pollack is on a distinguished road

Nice, thanks AZ Elwood.

I recently had a flat away from home and I purchased the necessary items to change a tube on the road. A tusk patch kit, 2 spoons, 15" tire iron, bead buddy, trail jack, compact air compressor, tools to get the wheel off, and new tubes. But I didn't put any soap in the kit. It is a lot of stuff to carry around, until your SOL.

Best regards,
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Arizona_Elwood

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Postings: 646
Arizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutArizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura about

Yeah it is.. but having the stuff.. ALL the stuff.. wards off the evil spirits that give u flats.. Once you get everything you need.. It will probably keep the sprits away for years!

Wally world had mini sizes for a lot of household stuff.. The ones here keep it all near the pharmacy..

Mini dish liquid, anti-stink, etc etc.. Great for camping & just the right size to take with you on the KLR..
Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,608
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
If you have to change a tire on the road, what kind of lubricant do you recommend? Thanks.

Best regards,
I use RuGlyde in a small bottle you can get from your local sporting goods store. As I posted before...a little Murphy soap works well too. A little goes a long ways. As you get more experienced with tire changes you'll learn you need little lubricant. I've seen guys do the whole tire...both sides. Ok, but completely unnecessary.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
ArizonaPI

Super Cool Since: Sep 2016
Postings: 435
ArizonaPI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
New to motorcycles.

Easy to do with just spoons?
Considering your first line I thought maybe just maybe it needs to be clarified that you use motorcycle tire irons and not actual spoons.

Just throwing it out there.

Tags
changing, tires