SiteLock
Best GPS for ADV.... - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 305
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Best GPS for ADV....

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
I'll note that phone apps like Gaia are typically going to be a lot easier to learn and use than Garmin's Basecamp software. If simplicity is high priority, then you should check out Gaia.

I prefer a separate GPS unit for a couple reasons. I don't like having my primary communication device mounted on the handlebars, especially off pavement. On a ride last Fall Big Dan's brand new cell phone crapped out due to excessive vibration. I'm not saying that's always going to happen, but if it does you might not have a phone. Secondly, if you can invest the time to learn Basecamp it's pretty solid and powerful.

But no doubt, there are some excellent phone apps. Like Jeff I previously used Trimble Outdoors and thought it was excellent.

most of the places i go, including on pavement. there is no cell coverage.

the cell company's do not like improving there services.

packnrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
packnrat

i see the garmin 78 has three levels, and prices. the base, the "s", and the "sc".

on line there is no answer i can find. but does the "s" or "sc" come loaded with the topo maps? or is that extra no matter?

i do not care about deep water, heck not even shallow water as i do not go on boats.
just no reason too. only one (car-truck-bike) ferry i know about within 500 miles... or more. and it traverses less than a foot ball field to cross a waterway in the delta.

but no mater not getting one for under $300.usd. (gps, mount, wires). maps extra?
just wish my e-trex did not bit the big one. great toy for under $80.usd. (tax included).
Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #23
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,114
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice
Default Re: Best GPS for ADV....

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
i see the garmin 78 has three levels, and prices. the base, the "s", and the "sc".

on line there is no answer i can find. but does the "s" or "sc" come loaded with the topo maps? or is that extra no matter?

i do not care about deep water, heck not even shallow water as i do not go on boats.
just no reason too. only one (car-truck-bike) ferry i know about within 500 miles... or more. and it traverses less than a foot ball field to cross a waterway in the delta.

but no mater not getting one for under $300.usd. (gps, mount, wires). maps extra?
just wish my e-trex did not bit the big one. great toy for under $80.usd. (tax included).
Just get the basic and follow these instructions:

https://sites.google.com/a/gpskevina...setup-and-tips

He will tell you how to download and install the US 48 map at no cost. If you so desire, you can add other maps.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
"Mitch"
Been here a while

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-2-6-In...ords=garmin+78

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Power-...C503H2GCWW6RN5

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-RAM-B-1...H67CMN32XBAMQT

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Univer...H67CMN32XBAMQT
Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #25
packnrat

free 😍

looking at the ver with maps and everything posted except the carry case, easly gets costly.
need to cover a couple other bills right now. but might just buy this in a couple paychecks.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,174
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

A map and a GPS are two different things. A map is a visual representation of the area you are in. A GPS tells you where you are. Just about any smart phone has a GPS chip in it and can display your actual position digitally, for finding your position on your Topo map. Adding Mapping capability to a GPS receiver gives you the best of both worlds; a moving Electronic Map that plots your position on it.

The major benefit of a dedicated mapping GPS with base map is having your map always available. Many phone apps, such as google maps uses paging, downloading maps as you move. If you are using your phone for other things, or are not in a cell coverage area, you can download an app with the base map installed to your phone and most dedicated travel GPSs come with a base map installed.

I dig paper maps and do my route planning on them. That goes in my tank bag. I use my GPS devices as electronic map, seldom actually plotting a route on it. But I like being able to see where I am headed when in unfamiliar territory. It can be distracting sometimes, and I use the Off button a lot.

There are some very interesting multipurpose devices coming out that are combining communications with position, mapping, and PDA capabilities, such as the Delorme Inreach SE with SATCOM, (now a Garmin company), and the Garmin Rhino FRS/GPS. I think these make a lot of sense for those that truly travel and need to keep in touch with family and friends.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 05-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
KF7JA

Super Cool Since: Mar 2015
Locale: Washington State (the dry side!)
Postings: 467
KF7JA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post

There are some very interesting multipurpose devices coming out that are combining communications with position, mapping, and PDA capabilities, such as the Delorme Inreach SE with SATCOM, (now a Garmin company), and the Garmin Rhino FRS/GPS. I think these make a lot of sense for those that truly travel and need to keep in touch with family and friends.

TW
I have been using a Garmin Inreach GPS along with my cellular phone and a Garmin Montana. The Inreach pairs with the cell phone and provides mapping ability with a bunch of downloadable maps. It allows emergency communications via satellite (SOS) and other texting and tracking. You can send satellite texts to anyone with a phone or email. You can also communicate with emergency responders if needed. The Montana has a large touch screen and is easy to use and see. The Inreach has a small non-touch screen. The Earthmate android phone app from Garmin is OK but lacks some features I like. For example, it can't be set for "track up" while the Inreach itself can. Another feature I like about the Inreach is the ability to pay by the month and turn it off when not in use. I am paying the monthly fee in order to become familiar with its operation. They have a way to go, but I believe the idea is sound. The learning curve is steeper than a Spot, which I used for a year. When Spot raised there subscription fee to $200/ mo I switched. My dash now looks like a Dakar bike or a aircraft cockpit and I get a lot of comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gps dash.jpg (52.0 KB, 20 views)
KF7JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #28
8bit

Postings: n/a

Quote:
Hey "Mitch", Have you used this cable, or just being helpful suggesting it? If you had, what, if anything, did you do with the two data wires?

TIA,
8bit
Old 05-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Hey "Mitch", Have you used this cable, or just being helpful suggesting it? If you had, what, if anything, did you do with the two data wires?

TIA,
8bit
Yes, I used this cable to hardwire the GPS to my fuse block. I did not have any use for the data wires. Here's a cut and paste from the Garmin site regarding the cable:

This cable has bare wires at the end so you can hard wire your Garmin directly to a DC power source or some other electronic device. This connection allows you to send speed and position data to devices such as a chartplotter, computer, auto pilot, radar, etc.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
8bit

Quote:
Yes, I used this cable to hardwire the GPS to my fuse block. I did not have any use for the data wires.
Thanks. I ordered the unit, ram mount and cable. Thanks for the links.

Finally finished this: (made the word HEAL from the other letters in pic)

I was gunna stick it in my sig, but that editing sig file is still having issues.

8bit
Old 05-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #31
"Mitch"
Been here a while

The 78 is a terrific basic rugged GPS. If you don't need or want a bunch of bells and whistles I think you'll like it.

Nice edit on the pic. 👍
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #32
jcdied4me

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: California
Postings: 238
jcdied4me is on a distinguished road
Default Best GPS for ADV....

I'm using Gaia and it works great even without cell service. iPhone 6s+. I also have a spare Android note 4 with Gaia that works fine. You can plan your route, import gpx files, edit tracks and routes, and download all maps you desire for the track before you leave home. Seeing as how it is just an extra phone, I plan to use this one for my GPS. This way I don't kill my usable phone and don't have to fork out another 300$ for a dedicated GPS device only to have less flexibility with an added subscription service bill. GPS works without a cell chip and works like an old iPod in a sense. One can use any old Android phone as a GPS if it was made over the last 5 years.

I recommend making an antivibration system to mount the phone and a water proof case. You can use the ram mount x-grip, which holds the phone super tight with its rubber cased prongs. I've spilled the bike super hard a few times and the phone just stays in place. Then, purchase two large fender washers, and two rubber washers, one for each side of the mounting surface. Make a hole on your dash that is a bit larger than your bolt so the metal of the bolt doesn't touch any of the metal on the dash, or it will transfer vibrations all the way up the chain. Then, on the top of the dash, and in this order: place a fender washer on the mounting bolt, then the first thick rubber fender washer, then put the stem of the built into the dash. Follow up with another thick rubber washer, a fender washer, then a nylock nut. Tighten it all down. Don't tighten it to much or the vibration will not be isolated, but don't leave it to lose or there will be to much wobble of your device.

This does not provide emergency assistance services though so you may also wish to get something for that if you feel you need it.

Those are my thoughts. I would much rather spend money on other things, if possible. Especially seeing as how the Android phone does the same thing, but much easier. Also, the cost of these phones are an arm and a leg but lose value so quickly. I would rather squeeze one last hoorah out of the phone rather than sell it for some undervalued price. It just sits in a drawer anyways so, why not! If any of you have an extra phone, go for this solution. Works great so far. Cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jcdied4me; 05-28-2017 at 07:28 PM.
jcdied4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #33
8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdied4me View Post
You can use the ram mount x-grip, which holds the phone super tight with its rubber cased prongs.
+1 on RAM Mount products. Really well made, nice gear.

8bit
Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #34
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,769
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

I agree on the RAM mounts in general but not the X-grip. I lost my phone 3 times when the trails started getting real rocky! The only thing that saved my phone was the cord............my phone dangled next to my leg until I could find a reasonable place to stop. I ended up zip tying my phone to the X-grip for the rest of the trip.

I now use the RAM SlipGrip and have had no issues.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #35
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsDarkSide View Post
I agree on the RAM mounts in general but not the X-grip. I lost my phone 3 times when the trails started getting real rocky! The only thing that saved my phone was the cord............my phone dangled next to my leg until I could find a reasonable place to stop. I ended up zip tying my phone to the X-grip for the rest of the trip.

I now use the RAM SlipGrip and have had no issues.
Jeff- Did you use the rubber tether thingy with the X-grip?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #36
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

I was not using it since I didn't know it existed at the time. I do have it now and I suspect it would fair much better with that gizmo. That should come standard with the X-grip.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #37
8bit

Quote:
The GPSMAP78 will augment my nuvi 2639LMT quite well. Plus it will be fun to carry on hikes in the back country. Other than the temp gauge, I don't need the dash at all.

8bit
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #38
spooky

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: New Hampshire ( Concord area )
Postings: 571
spooky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
+1 on RAM Mount products. Really well made, nice gear.

8bit
This was reviewed in June Motorcycle Consumer News.
https://www.hondogarage.com/index.php...ze-phone-mount
FWIW
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #39
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
This was reviewed in June Motorcycle Consumer News.
https://www.hondogarage.com/index.ph...ze-phone-mount
FWIW
These "squeeze" grips, particularly the RAM X-grip, caused problems for me due to the "squeeze". On an iphone 6 the squeeze arms make contact with the side buttons and will either randomly raise/lower your volume or put the phone in sleep mode. I had to be very mindful of how the phone was placed in the holder or the screen would get blocked or disappear.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #40
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,174
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

I use a Quadlock case and mounts for my iPhone 6. Modified a bike mount to RAM ball. by trimming the handebar mount a bit and replacing the centerbolt to thread into the RAM ball.

I also have been playing with an odd Windows CE based GPS device, but I need to make a stiffer dash to support everything without shaking.

Looks like Photobucket is having issues. Be patient for photos to load.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adv, gps