SiteLock
Regulator/Rectifier: Mosfet Upgrade - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Zero_Alligator

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Tacoma, WA
Postings: 680
Zero_Alligator has a spectacular aura aboutZero_Alligator has a spectacular aura aboutZero_Alligator has a spectacular aura about
Cool Regulator/Rectifier: Mosfet Upgrade

After working on a few different projects this weekend I figured Iíd post one of them since there isnít a lot of information about it on these forums. I decided it was time to upgrade the KLRís regulator/rectifier to a R/R with the newer Mosfet design. Read on to learn more and see how I did it.

[Why?]

Why did I do it and what is it you might ask? Well, the Regulator/Rectifier on the KLR is what controls the bikeís power. The rectifier portion of the device takes the three phase AC current - which is generated by the bikeís stator - and converts it into DC power. The DC current is then passed through the regulator portion of the device, which maintains or regulates the power at a constant output voltage for use throughout your motorcycle.

On many older motorcycles (the KLR included Ė yes newer ones too) the R/R unit employed by Kawasaki is an SCR shunt type. One benefit of this type of R/R is that the more power used by the bike, the less work the unit needs to do, and the more efficient it gets. Now this is handy on our KLRs because we tend to use up a lot of our spare power. The down sides to these units are numerous however. First off they run HOT. SCR types dump all unused current into a heatsink. If youíve ever had the misfortune to brush up against your R/R after your bike was running, you probably got a nasty burn to back up my claim. The stock KLR R/R gets HOT! The big downside to all that heat is that the unitís efficiency goes down the hotter it gets. This problem is exacerbated if youíve decided to upgrade your stator to a high output model. You better be using up all that extra current otherwise you are putting a heavy burden on your stock R/R and risk burning it out.

[The Solution]

A few years back motorcycle companies began to use a different design of R/R units in higher end bikes. These units make use of an electronic circuit known as a Mosfet chip. The Mosfet R/Rís run cooler, have better voltage regulation, last longer, and are able to handle a wider range of current without blowing up - all this through the magic of microelectronics. One other benefit is that since the Mosfet unit is more efficient, it is converting less current into heat and you have a few extra watts to play with - something we like on the KLR! Another additional benefit to these units is their reliability; they are much less prone to failure than the SCR units are.

Many of these newer Mosfet units are available at reasonable prices, and the upgrade itself is very simple. Here is a picture of the new Mosfet R/R I installed (left) and the KLRís stock R/R (right.):

[Step-By-Step]

1. Start off by obtaining a Mosfet R/R. I used what is known as a model FH012, but an FH014 would work also. I ended up finding one originally intended for a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R Ninja, but many bikes use them. The OEM part number for the one I got is 21066-0008. You can use RonAyerís part lookup to find other bikes and years. 2007 and up Yamaha FJR and R1 also use this same style I believe, and through a little detective work you can find many other models that will work. I recommend sourcing this through Ebay because if purchased new they are spendy.

2. The next step is to track down a couple nice OEM-looking connectors for your new R/R. I purchased mine through Eastern Beaver, and while they do run $18.62 for the set, this is a reasonable price and you now have the excuse to add some other goodies to your purchase at the same time (such as the most excellent Power Center 8 Fuse Panel.) You will be removing your old OEM connector and wiring up these new connectors for a very clean factory look/functionality:

3. Take off your KLRís seat, remove the old R/R unit, and remove the wires from the old connector. Iíll mention now that the WHITE wire on the R/R connector is always HOT, so it is a good idea to disconnect your battery prior to install. A little screwdriver applied just so pushes the internal tab down and allows the wire to pull free from the connector:

4. Cut the tips off of the wires, strip the old wires, and crimp on the new connectors:

5. Now install the new connectors into the plastic connector housings. The order for the three yellow wires can be anything you want. The Black with yellow stripe wire (ground) goes to the outside of the black plastic connector. The White wire goes to the inside of the black plastic connector. The middle port of the black plastic connector is plugged off. The Brown wire is no longer used (it was originally a return wire but serves no purpose now.) Simply tape off the Brown wire like so:

6. Now it is time to install the new R/R on the bike. The old lower mounting hole is used, but since the new R/R is a bit larger, the old upper mounting hole is just a bit out of alignment. Simply drill a new upper hole with a hand drill and you are good to go:

7. After the install your new R/R will look a lot like this:

[Conclusion]

The seat still fits perfectly, and the new unit produces a surprisingly consistent level of power, even when under load. My multimeter read a pretty steady 14.75v, even when under load.

Thatís all there is to it really. This conversion can be done in about 20 minutes. I personally think the benefits outweigh the costs, but YMMV. Thanks for reading and good luck.

-Mark

"Get your head in the game before you light the flame!"
"Now it doesn't matter why, but I am friends with some alligators."
Zero_Alligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
boofer

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Landstad Wiscowson
Postings: 541
boofer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regulator/Rectifier: Mosfet Upgrade

Great write-up

I used a FH010 on my bike and the results have been perfect. But, skipped the EB connectors. I saved the Kaw connector (after removing each wire) and plugged each wire separately to the MOSFET, just in case I needed to put the old one back on in a pinch.

Yours is prettier

1999 KLR 650
1975 R90/6
1985 K100RS
1994 R1100RSL
2000 K1200RS
2001 Uni-Go
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,611
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Nice write up. I also upgraded using a FH010 on my 92. They are more than enough for our system and very plentiful on ebay for much cheaper than FH012's.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Rickysnickers
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Locale: 32.982805,-117.062252
Postings: 807
Rickysnickers is on a distinguished road

I used this same R/R when I replaced the crappy one on my TL1000R. They work great and run much cooler too.

Rick
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Zero_Alligator

Zero_Alligator has a spectacular aura aboutZero_Alligator has a spectacular aura aboutZero_Alligator has a spectacular aura about

Yup yup, there are many different types of these that will work, and they are all a hell of a lot better then the stocker. Glad you guys liked the writeup, thanks.

-Mark

Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Skeefoo
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Panama Canal Zone
Postings: 228
Skeefoo is on a distinguished road

Does this mod need to be done,if say,I went up to a 280 amp stator?
96 F150 ex-cab swb
Skeefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Zero_Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeefoo View Post
Does this mod need to be done,if say,I went up to a 280 amp stator?
I believe the 280 stators state in their instructions that you are required to upgrade the stock R/R unit, but the unit they suggest (they being Electrosport, the makers of the 280 stator) is simply a beefier version of the same crappy technology that the stock KLR uses. If you go to a 280 stator I'd definitely go the Mosfet technology route instead. Much better performance and longer life of the unit. My two cents anyway.

Also, from what I've read, some of the failures that users have reported with the upgraded stators can be tied to their failure to upgrade their R/R units. I myself was considering the 280 stator but based upon the performance charts of the unit I'm no longer convinced that it is a wise upgrade.

-Mark

Last edited by Zero_Alligator; 03-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Skeefoo
A Regular

Do you believe that the stock stator is enough to run a GPS,and maybe a small fm radio?I live in Panama,so there will be no heated suits,and hand grips,before I drop some coinage on the new stuff,what do you think?Up grade to the mosfet,would be enough?Im pretty familiar with mosfet gear,Ive a 1200 watt linear amp hooked up to a CB radio,with built in mosfet pre amp.this thing really has some power.
96 F150 ex-cab swb
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Zero_Alligator

You have plenty of power to spare to power a GPS and a radio. I used to run my GPS and dual 35w driving lights all the time with no problems prior to any electrical upgrades. The Mosfet basically smooths out the power output, gives you a few more free watts, and is a much more stable part then the stock R/R. If you really want to get a bunch more spare power, switch all of your indicator lights to LEDs, change your brake light to an LED, and swap your license plate light to an LED. You'll gain about 17w just doing that.

-Mark

Quote:
Do you believe that the stock stator is enough to run a GPS,and maybe a small fm radio?I live in Panama,so there will be no heated suits,and hand grips,before I drop some coinage on the new stuff,what do you think?Up grade to the mosfet,would be enough?Im pretty familiar with mosfet gear,Ive a 1200 watt linear amp hooked up to a CB radio,with built in mosfet pre amp.this thing really has some power.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Super Dave 26

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: South East Wisconsin
Postings: 549
Super Dave 26 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a need thing!

So, what does the nomenclature represent? How is an FH014 different from an FH012 and an FH010?
Super Dave 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
prybar
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2011
Locale: TO, ON, CAN
Postings: 166
prybar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave 26 View Post

So, what does the nomenclature represent? How is an FH014 different from an FH012 and an FH010?
Interesting information regarding Mosfet R/R's & R/R's in general on this Superhawk forum

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...why-how-25117/
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Zero_Alligator

The different models have different amp ratings, different footprints, and different connectors. The FH010 and FH012 both work for our application. I don't know offhand what the amp rating is on the 10, but the 12 is a 50A unit. Both the 10 and 12 share the same style connectors as I photoed above. One of the benefits of this connector is that if you want to save a few bucks, you CAN simply pull the old wires out of the KLR stock connector and plug them into the blades of the R/R unit. It isn't super pretty and stock looking, but it works. The FH014 has different connectors, is smaller, and is a 35A unit I believe.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave 26 View Post

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Skeefoo
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Alligator View Post
You have plenty of power to spare to power a GPS and a radio. I used to run my GPS and dual 35w driving lights all the time with no problems prior to any electrical upgrades. The Mosfet basically smooths out the power output, gives you a few more free watts, and is a much more stable part then the stock R/R. If you really want to get a bunch more spare power, switch all of your indicator lights to LEDs, change your brake light to an LED, and swap your license plate light to an LED. You'll gain about 17w just doing that.

-Mark
Thanks Mark,I did change my break light to LED already,Im gonna see about doing the rest tomorrow,Good advice.
96 F150 ex-cab swb
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Zero_Alligator

Quote:
Thanks Mark,I did change my break light to LED already,Im gonna see about doing the rest tomorrow,Good advice.
You bettcha! :-)

-Mark

Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
wingerr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Sep 2005
Locale: NY, NY
Postings: 2,446
wingerr will become famous soon enough

The best way to hook up the regulator is to get a link lead adapter available as an OEM part from Triumph; it's under $10 and is preterminated with heavy gauge wire. One side goes to the regulator, and the other has connectors that were intended for the Triumph harness connector, which you won't need.

Cut the original KLR connector out (I'd leave a couple inches just so it can be reused), and splice in the new connectors.
The proper latching connectors will avoid any issues from marginal high resistance connections from developing.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Zero_Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerr View Post
The best way to hook up the regulator is to get a link lead adapter available as an OEM part from Triumph; it's under $10 and is preterminated with heavy gauge wire. One side goes to the regulator, and the other has connectors that were intended for the Triumph harness connector, which you won't need.

Cut the original KLR connector out (I'd leave a couple inches just so it can be reused), and splice in the new connectors.
The proper latching connectors will avoid any issues from marginal high resistance connections from developing.
Huh, first I've heard of this adapter, very cool. Do you have a part number or a link? Thanks for the info.

-Mark

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,658
NVGTI is on a distinguished road

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
wingerr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Sep 2005
Locale: NY, NY
Postings: 2,446
wingerr will become famous soon enough

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showpos...8&postcount=10
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
jpatte
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: CO
Postings: 43
jpatte is on a distinguished road

Mark,

Hello , I hope you can help me figure this out. Here's the problem and please bear with me:

I have a klr 650 year 2000. It is about 16,000 miles on it. I just recently replaced an old battery.

When I decelerate periodically my bike will shut down and when I try to crank over it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't have enough power and eventually after bout 10 tries the battery is preety much dead.

I bought a multimeter and a new battery and did this recommended procedure:

I ran my rpm's up to 3000 and measured with a multimeter. the dc voltage reading went to 12 ... Even if I went above 3000 rpm it didn't climb above 12 V.

I just put a new battery and since the multimeter reads 12V I take it that it's reading just the battery power.

Since a reading of greater than 13.5 V is ideal does this mean I need to start swaping a rectifier then possibly even the strator?

Thank you so much for the help and I hope somebody read this in knows what to do.

Jason

Last edited by jpatte; 04-12-2012 at 07:58 PM.
jpatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Rickysnickers
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Locale: 32.982805,-117.062252
Postings: 807
Rickysnickers is on a distinguished road

Hey Jason,

Obviously I'm not Mark, but I think I might be able to help. Use your multimeter and check both the stator and the R/R. Here's a site that somebody else posted, https://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf . There's some good info here and I'm sure it will help you. If I had to bet, you R/R is probably toast.

Rick
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
mosfet, regulator or rectifier, upgrade