SiteLock
Fuel Cap Vent and Lock Cylinder - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 02-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #61
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 9,343
jeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fuel Cap Vent and Lock Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagessuck View Post
Quick question folks. I cleaned my tank per Jeff's instructions and it went very well. However, I found there was a lot of what looked like metal scale inside the cap and workings. I work with metal a lot and it reminded me of scaling from iron heated to forging temperature. I cleaned it out as best I could, and the vents are now unclogged. I run 91 octane during the summer due to summer heat and midgrade in the winter, spring, and fall. I'll run some Seafoam every three months or so. Anyone have any idea what it might have been?
No idea where you are located. Any chance it is corrosion from chemicals like salt in the air or from a road surface?

Best,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

"If you don't have a time table you can't be late. When you don't have a destination you can't get lost." Colin Stafford-Johnson, Ireland's Wild Coast
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #62
cagessuck

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Postings: 254
cagessuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsaline View Post
No idea where you are located. Any chance it is corrosion from chemicals like salt in the air or from a road surface?

Best,

Jeff
Apologies, that would have been helpful. I live in Southern California. It's pretty dry and mild here year around. No salt is used on the road around here, and I am about 30 miles inland. Ethanol maybe?

Mods:
EM 685 kit after my rear balancer bearing grenaded
Eagle Mike Doohickey, frame upgrade kit
Watt-Man Thermobob
22 Cent Carb Mod, slide drilled, pilot screw adjusted
cagessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #63
jeffsaline

jeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagessuck View Post
Apologies, that would have been helpful. I live in Southern California. It's pretty dry and mild here year around. No salt is used on the road around here, and I am about 30 miles inland. Ethanol maybe?
Ethanol or some other chemical used in your local fuel is a good possibility. Might be worth scheduling another inspection/cleaning in a few months to see if it returns.

Best,

Jeff

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

"If you don't have a time table you can't be late. When you don't have a destination you can't get lost." Colin Stafford-Johnson, Ireland's Wild Coast
Old 02-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #64
cagessuck

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Postings: 254
cagessuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ethanol or some other chemical used in your local fuel is a good possibility. Might be worth scheduling another inspection/cleaning in a few months to see if it returns.

Best,

Jeff
Good idea. Thanks to your write up, it was a very straightforward process. Excepting one spring that decided to fly across my basement into a dark corner. Took a while to find it.

Mods:
EM 685 kit after my rear balancer bearing grenaded
Eagle Mike Doohickey, frame upgrade kit
Watt-Man Thermobob
22 Cent Carb Mod, slide drilled, pilot screw adjusted
cagessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #65
mofoco
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2015
Locale: Portland, OR
Postings: 1
mofoco is on a distinguished road

Hi, new member/owner of a 2004 KLR250. The umbrella gasket is torn. If I shake the bike it leaks gas down the tank... Any ideas on a fix/replacement? No drivability issues, mainly just the leaking gas when stopped and the tank is sloshed.

Can't see the pics on here? Is it me?
mofoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #66
jeffsaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofoco View Post
Hi, new member/owner of a 2004 KLR250. The umbrella gasket is torn. If I shake the bike it leaks gas down the tank... Any ideas on a fix/replacement? No drivability issues, mainly just the leaking gas when stopped and the tank is sloshed.

From what I understand you have to be logged in to see pictures. I've never had the issue so don't know for sure. If you are logged in I have no idea why you can't see the pictures. Try this link to see the .jpgs in my photo album. https://www.photos.klr650.net/thumbnails.php?album=775

I've never heard of a replacement for the umbrella valves. My guess is you could try something like RTV and a very delicate fix or finding a cap used and swapping lock cylinders. Sorry I don't have better than that for you.

I didn't know the KLR250 used the same cap. That is good information.

Best,

Jeff

Last edited by jeffsaline; 05-15-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #67
jdleslie
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Virginia
Postings: 1
jdleslie is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to thank Jeff for this great how-to. I used it today to transfer the key cylinder to my new cap. I'm trying to get my shed-bound klr back on the road. First check was frozen cap latch. After some stupid prying, which bent up the ring that retains the springs and backs the rubber sealing ring, it no longer sealed after I finally got it open, so I got another cap. BTW, it appears that inserting a large flat blade screwdriver in the key slot and turning it with vice grips operated the latch and somehow did not permanently damage the locking mechanism. It seems to work fine afterwards. And the little seal around the lock cylinder was oriented as Jeff shows on both caps here.
Dave
Virginia Y2KLR
jdleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #68
Freshkast
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: Los Angeles
Postings: 112
Freshkast is on a distinguished road

jeff,
I am unable to remove the lock cylinder.
I have the brass tab at the 11 o'clock position. however, it does not come out when I pull down with the key. what am I missing here?

best,
alex
Freshkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #69
jeffsaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshkast View Post
jeff,
I am unable to remove the lock cylinder.
I have the brass tab at the 11 o'clock position. however, it does not come out when I pull down with the key. what am I missing here?

best,
alex
Take another look at post #5, the second picture/description. You must move the tab into the lock cylinder.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jeff

Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #70
Freshkast
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: Los Angeles
Postings: 112
Freshkast is on a distinguished road

I tried this, as you did with the the exacto knife.

there is resistance, and no give or thread as I try different heights. is there something else I need to align?
Freshkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #71
jeffsaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshkast View Post
I tried this, as you did with the the exacto knife.

there is resistance, and no give or thread as I try different heights. is there something else I need to align?
The way I described is the only way I know that will work. I've never had an issue doing it that way. Sorry.

Best,

Jeff

Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #72
southern rider
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: MIAMI, FL.
Postings: 9
southern rider is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Fuel Cap Vent and Lock Cylinder

Quote:
Maybe the top umbrella valve is dislodged allowing fuel to exit through the vent passage. The connection between the cap vent cone shaped nipple and the tube in the tank for the vent is not air tight.

So I think fuel could move past a dislodged top umbrella valve, through the passage and then at the junction of the cap and tank vent passage could leak. That would be the exterior of the cap/tank at about the 5 o'clock position.

Should only take you about 30 minutes to find out.

Best,

Jeff
Excellent job, Very informative & helpful, many thanks!
southern rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #73
_RaStA_RoCkEt_

Super Cool Since: Dec 2015
Locale: Oakland, Califoolia.
Postings: 19
_RaStA_RoCkEt_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofoco View Post

Same problem... only little "?" boxes. It might be browser window....
Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #74
jeffsaline

I think the pictures are missing until the new server is configured. I've tried a few times to get into the photos section and it is not available. When I post photos to this site I store them in the site photos section so when I am no longer here they will still work with the threads.

Maybe give Glenn a donation to help with the new server and maintenance costs and it will probably help get the photos back.

Best,

Jeff

Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #75
jeffsaline

Until Glenn can get the photo section to marry with the threads the photos will be missing.

You can find the photos at https://www.klr650.net/photos .

I think this link will take you directly to my fuel cap vent section. https://www.klr650.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=775 . The photos are kind of numbered so you can probably follow closely with the thread. You may have to jump around a bit to keep in order.

Best,

Jeff

Old 06-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #76
Bell driver

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Germany
Postings: 906
Bell driver is on a distinguished road

Jeff, where did all the pictures go ?
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #77
jeffsaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
Jeff, where did all the pictures go ?
See post #75.

Best,

Jeff

Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #78
brucen
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: San Diego CA
Postings: 60
brucen is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeff

Chuck B directed me to this post. My tank is not venting. The pressure buildup is great enough to flex the walls of the tank if the bike (2016 California model) sits in the sun for a while. Do you think that squirting some WD40 into the vent holes will be enough to free up the valves? Since the bike is under warranty I don't want to disassemble it. If that is necessary I will see about getting the cap replaced by the dealer.

Thanks
brucen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #79
jeffsaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucen View Post
Hi Jeff

Chuck B directed me to this post. My tank is not venting. The pressure buildup is great enough to flex the walls of the tank if the bike (2016 California model) sits in the sun for a while. Do you think that squirting some WD40 into the vent holes will be enough to free up the valves? Since the bike is under warranty I don't want to disassemble it. If that is necessary I will see about getting the cap replaced by the dealer.

Thanks
My guess is WD-40 might loosen the valves for a short time but might also act like a glue sticking them sealed.

If you don't want to take the cap apart the warranty action by the dealer might be a good idea.

Best,

Jeff

Old 03-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #80
Adambomb946
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2012
Locale: Fairfax, VA
Postings: 248
Adambomb946 is on a distinguished road

So whats the best method in creating or finding a new gasket underneath the bottom most valve. Mine is completely dissolved into a black goo.
Adambomb946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
cap, cylinder, fuel, lock, vent