SiteLock
SgtMarty tech day, September 2010 - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #61
robbie7878
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: northglenn, colorado
Postings: 83
robbie7878 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SgtMarty tech day, when do you want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7878 View Post
what did you find??
never mind tinkerbelle. i saw your 93 today. sweet. thanks for riding down with us. had a great time. i ran out of gas coming back. didn't realize how far i had gone since my last fill up and thought it was something worse. i pulled over, looked down and saw my miles and realized i was just out of gas. put it on reserve and fired it up. thanks for waiting up there for me.

alan, thanks bud. had a great time. sorry it took so long to get mine done. if it weren't for bad luck...... thanks for your help putting it back together.

bike ran great coming home. runs much better now with the valves adjusted.

thanks to zak, phil, kelly, scott and eagle mike for all the help on the bike. it was great to meet everyone. thanks for all your patience.

marty and laurie, thanks so much for opening up your home, it was great to finally meet you two. next time i shouldn't have much if anything to do on my bike and i can help work on others. hopefully not leaving any seals out this time
robbie7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #62
wzd1a
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2006
Postings: 1,904
wzd1a is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SgtMarty tech day, September 2010

Great day SgtMarty and Laurie - you are just great hosts.

I don''t know all of what was done today, but a least a few (3 or more) doos, at least three swing arm lubes, several valve checks and adjustments and .....

As always it was great to see old friends and to meet new ones as well. See ya in the morning and we'll do it all again.....
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #63
Tinker Belle
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Denver, CO
Postings: 56
Tinker Belle is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the wonderful assistance, advice, and general KLR fun. Huge props to Marty and Laurie for hosting such a wonderful event. Thanks as well to Eagle Mike for all the help with the Doo and the snazzy new bits and bobs. For a moment riding home I had this tiny fear I'd managed to hop on someone else's bike it was running so well.

I hope all made it home safe, best of luck to Sunday tinkerers, and I can't wait to do it all again at the next tech day.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #64
patsue

Super Cool Since: Feb 2005
Locale: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Postings: 252
patsue is on a distinguished road

Can't say enough THANKYOUs to everyone for their help. Sgt. Marty and Laurie! THANKS! What great hospitality to host something like this. And to get to meet Eagle Mike and buy from him one of his fork braces was really cool!

I hope to run up and spend some time tomorrow afternoon and do the best I can to help.
Patrick
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #65
Tinker Belle
A Regular

Locale: Denver, CO
Postings: 56
Tinker Belle is on a distinguished road

With any luck you guys are down there wrenching today, but in case anyone is getting updates on their phone or some such: Could someone please get a vid of Marty doing that freaking spin on the sidestand trick? It's lingering in my brain and after a small attempt last night it's eating at me on how the heck that worked. He did it so freaking fast I didn't even realize what was happening to learn
Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #66
robbie7878
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: northglenn, colorado
Postings: 83
robbie7878 is on a distinguished road

that was a pretty cool spin. would love to learn that one myself. good to have in tight parking lots.
robbie7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #67
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jul 2003
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 3,950
SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

HAH!

That spin trick is a bit touchy, since you have to really lift and pull the rear end of the bike to get it to balance on the sidestand. The KLR is too heavy to do that trick too often, especially when it's overloaded with gear. I did it a lot in South America, and the sidestand was getting bent.

I was doing that spin trick in San Cristobal, Venezuela at the big Motorcycle rally there in 2009, and the sidestand suddenly snapped off! I barely caught the bike and others helped me get the bike up on the center stand. One of the guys there who had befriended me took the broken sidestand and had it re-welded and returned to me in no time. Sweet!

Life is a mortal adventure. Don't avoid all the risks.
COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

1998 Valkyrie Tourer, 2005 KLR650
2001 DRZ400E, 2005 KTM 525EXC

Last edited by SgtMarty; 09-20-2010 at 01:44 AM.
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #68
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

Whew! What a weekend. Over twenty bikes on Saturday and most of them got some wrenching done on them. Sunday saw another dozen or so folks, some of whom returned for another day of working on their bikes or helping others.

The big surprise was the appearance of Eagle Mike from San Diego, who drove in with his beautiful lady Geneva to help with the chaos. Mike provided several door prizes for our trivia games, and I added some 12-volt and foot-powered air pumps. Since Mike is "The Man' when it comes to the doohickey lever and other KLR650 mods, his appearance and help was deeply appreciated. Most of those here had not met him before, so it was nice that others got to enjoy Mike and Geneva's company.

Saturday was busy, busy. We had a circle of bikes doing the doo, with Alan, Kelly, Zach, Mike, Phil, Laura, Brent, and Scott helping out (I hope I didn't forget anyone, but I get confused easily...). The KLR community and skill-sharing is one of the wonderful aspects of these tech days.

Several valve checks and swingarm adjustments, one mechanical seal replacement, a shock replacement, other various jobs all got done. Whee!

Laura and Stan had stayed the weekend at our home, so we got to enjoy breakfast and dinner together, with Mike and Geneva joining us. It was a long day, and most were as busy as they wanted to be. "Disco" John came up from Alamogordo, New Mexico, so he wins the mileage contest--but Damn! he got a lot of stuff done on his bike this weekend. (John's leaking petcock and carb took a few hours of my time on Sunday, and I sincerely hope that it got fixed for good.)

Sunday started early again, with Scott, Zach, and John returning to help, and BJ came down again to add to the fun. Laura and Mike were once more jumping into various projects. Our nephew, David, returned to help Laurie with running the grill, and much food was consumed.

Unfortunately, after the weekend was over, I was once again missing lots of sockets from my tool kits, so if anyone finds them among your own toolkits, get them back to me, okay? And some torque wrenches are unaccounted for at this time. I thank those who donated parts and supplies for others to use this weekend or at some future event. These donations eventually get used by someone, and the Karma credit is good.

We'll do it again next Spring. Just be careful with collecting tools at the end of it all, please.

Marty

Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #69
Straydog
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: Aurora, Colorado
Postings: 124
Straydog is on a distinguished road

This is how we do it at Stgmarty's TechDay. (Saturday - day 1)

Why are Marty and Laurie so happy you might ask?

answered

yes some work did get done.

again, this is how we do it.

The air was thinner than usual at this Mile High tech day.
Thanks go to EagleMike, the tight group of wrenchers, the supporting cast and to our very tolerant Hosts!
************************************************** ****************************************

Last edited by Straydog; 09-20-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #70
suescruizin

Postings: 11
suescruizin is on a distinguished road

Thank you Marty and Laurie for opening up your home and making us feel right at home. Lunch was very tasty, and meeting everyone and Eagle Mike made my first KLR get together memorable. I was glad to see some more women there wrenching and riding. I know we are out there, just too few and far between. Thanks again for a wonderful day, and I can't wait to get together again for some adventure riding.
suescruizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #71
gunguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Colorado Springs
Postings: 59
gunguy is on a distinguished road

The tech day was great. I had a great time hanging out and meeting everyone. Big thanks to Marty and Laurie you were wonderful hosts. Awesome to meet Eagle Mike.

Marty, I'll check my tool bag and make sure I don't have any of your sockets.

Matt

70 Honda CL100, gone
72 Honda SL175, gone
79 Honda XL250, gone
85 Yamaha Virago, gone
06 Honda 599, gone
01 Yamaha FZ1, gone
86 Harley Bobber gone
75 Yamaha XS500 cafe racer
05 KLR650
09 KLX250SF
gunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #72
wzd1a
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2006
Postings: 1,904
wzd1a is on a distinguished road

Marty - as I work on my bike this eve I am really bothered that once again you are missing tools after a tech day. A couple of sockets is one thing - a torque wrench (you indicate more than one) is another - as I work on my bike for me this eve - well it would piss me off to be missing such an important item.

If it has clearly not turned-up as misplaced, we as attendees of this event should chip in to replace items which somehow "disappeared" from our hosts garage.

This truly mars these events.

Last edited by wzd1a; 09-20-2010 at 10:50 PM.
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #73
patsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
Marty - as I work on my bike this eve I am really bothered that once again your missing tools after a tech day. A couple of sockets is one thing - a torque wrench is another - as I work on my bike for me this eve - well it would piss me off to be missing such an important item.

If it has clearly not turned-up as misplaced, we as attendees of this event should chip in to replace items which somehow "disappeared" from our hosts garage.

This truly mars these events.
I agree and count me in if needed.

Patsue
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #74
patsue

In fact, I would ask Sgt. Marty if he is comfortable with this, after some time to take inventory, to post what might be missing and I bet we would all chip in to make him whole.

It should't cost him a nickel EVER to host a tech day.

Patrick
Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #75
KilLeR Kawasaki
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Littleton, Colorado
Postings: 780
KilLeR Kawasaki is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Marty and Laurie for hosting this and being such a great example for our community in your generosity and adventurous spirit. I'd also like to thanks the helpers who really came through for me and others; namely Zach, BJ, and Scott. My newly adjusted valves and lubed swing arm will serve me well.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
Moto del Mundo
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #76
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

To Zach and others, yeah it's a pain to find tools missing, but there is no way I'd be comfortable with any direct compensation. I MAY, however, institute a tip jar in the future. I was advised to do so by someone whose advice I have always found to be worthwhile. I always go through a lot of nuts and bolts, grease, oil, shop rags, drill bits, etc., so it would probably be okay with most folks. It just isn't my nature, you know?

We'll see what happens at the next tech day, in the Spring.

Oh, and I haven't finished straightening up yet, so some of the sockets and torque wrenches might yet be discovered.

Someone left a long 10mm/11mm combo wrench here, and it will be waiting for its owner to claim it.

Last edited by SgtMarty; 05-06-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #77
LaurieD
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Postings: 89
LaurieD is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the kind words, for showing up to participate and help and learn, for pitching in with food and drink and ice, for bringing tools and parts and supplies and so forth.
Marty especially gets such a kick out of hosting these and helping people - we always enjoy seeing old friends and making new ones, and we learn something new every time.

By the way, speaking of things that got left behind -
Someone who was here on Saturday left a plastic flask of what appears to be some sort of coffee creamer (maybe hazelnut? not sure, but it smells quite nice). It will be waiting for its owner to claim it.

neither trucks nor attack trees will stay this rider from her appointed trails ....

Last edited by LaurieD; 09-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.
LaurieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #78
suescruizin

Postings: 11
suescruizin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post
Thanks to all for the kind words, for showing up to participate and help and learn, for pitching in with food and drink and ice, for bringing tools and parts and supplies and so forth.
Marty especially gets such a kick out of hosting these and helping people - we always enjoy seeing old friends and making new ones, and we learn something new every time.

By the way, speaking of things that got left behind -
Someone who was here on Saturday left a plastic flask of what appears to be some sort of coffee creamer (maybe hazelnut? not sure, but it smells quite nice). It will be waiting for its owner to claim it.

I'll take that 9mm 10mm combo wrench if that is a Matco wrench. I found a 1/2" 9/16" combination offset wrench in my toolbox someone might be missing.
suescruizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #79
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by suescruizin View Post
I'll take that 9mm 10mm combo wrench if that is a Matco wrench. I found a 1/2" 9/16" combination offset wrench in my toolbox someone might be missing.
Sue, it's a Matco, but it's 10mm/11mm if that's what you're looking for. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. As far as I can tell, I'm not missing any SAE wrenches.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #80
pstan13
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Glenrock, Wyoming
Postings: 51
pstan13 is on a distinguished road

I finally got home on Thursday afternoon. Thank you so much Marty and Laurie for your hospitality and all your help. I definitely think a tip jar is a good idea to help pay for all the supplies and food you provide. It was great to meet all and appreciate all the help working on my bike.

I will be looking forward to your next tech day in the spring.
(#158 in the Blue KLR Club)
'87 Suzuki SP370
pstan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
2010, day, september, sgtmarty, tech