SiteLock
Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here. - Page 8 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #141
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,658
NVGTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloreyAdventure View Post
Has anyone used Wyman Winn in Solvang, CA to complete the 685 psiton kit? If so, were you pleased with the results?
You gotta be kiddin! If you search this forum, even a little, well, you will see.

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #142
DeloreyAdventure

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Peace River, Alberta
Postings: 14
DeloreyAdventure is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanwinn View Post
guess i will wait for the reviews before i respond to the email...
Hi Wyman:

Sorry for the frankness of my question - I certainly didn't know you are an active contributor to this forum. I'm a new member today - and have been very impressed on what I read - certainly - the best forum for my KLR bike. Wyman - I have sent you a private email with a couple of questions - hoping that you will respond.

A friend of mine provided your name and some contact information - I sent this out on his behalf.

NVGTI - yes, you are correct - I posted that question and then began reading....easy with the comments!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #143
kzlr
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: El Dorado Hills, CA
Postings: 3,978
kzlr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anyone used Wyman Winn in Solvang, CA to complete the 685 psiton kit? If so, were you pleased with the results?
DA,
Why ask about Wyman?
He's so far away...surely someone else can do it...why travel all that way and have some guy you've never heard of work on your bike?
Seriously...why even consider him?

I was lying when I said that.

08 - "Joker"

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
kzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #144
DeloreyAdventure

Locale: Peace River, Alberta
Postings: 14
DeloreyAdventure is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlr View Post
DA,
Why ask about Wyman?
He's so far away...surely someone else can do it...why travel all that way and have some guy you've never heard of work on your bike?
Seriously...why even consider him?
Hi KZLR:

Two KLR 08' owners will be traveling through CA in October - those KLR's burn so much engine oil - we thought before traveling to Alberta to get the piston kit installed. My friend asked me to send an email on Adventure Rider (I have not) - as I thought this forum - which I discuovered today may be more helpful - which it is. I didn't realize that Wyman is probably the most active member with over 3,000 postings - certainly impressive.o)

I've adventured motorcycled thoughout North America and have had many people work on my BMW 650, KTM 950 or KLR 650 bikes. When traveling a month or so at a time - it is impossilbe but to have someone work on my bikes. Especially due to the fact that I know very little about motorcycle mechanics.

Yes, I have an excellent mechanic in Alberta who will be making many changes to the bikes. My recommendation to my Nova Scotia friend was to wait until the bikes are in Alberta.

Thank you for your comments - they do get me thinking.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #145
NVGTI

Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,658
NVGTI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NVGTI - yes, you are correct - I posted that question and then began reading....easy with the comments!
I knew you would figure it out!

Although I haven't had the opportunity to meet Wyminwinn, but after all that I've learned/read/studied here, it would definitely be my pleasure and to my benefit.

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #146
SchoolDaGeek
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2010
Locale: Mentor, Ohio, USA
Postings: 2
SchoolDaGeek is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

I am glad that this thread has been 'revived' after two years because I am making plans as well for THIS winters maintenance-mania and would like to know what updates if any are there to the final recommendation for a 1992 KLR (A6) oil-aholic with only 11,000miles? My first shock was using 1.5qts of oil in 400miles of mostly 4500RPM highway. I refilled and proceeded to use another full quart before I reached 300 miles....I am just throwing in Super Tech 20-50 from Walmart right now but if I were able to upgrade my piston and rings on my cylinder I would re-break it in with Wymanwinn's recommendations if it meant the difference between seating the new parts correctly or returning to the old problem somewhat...

The 685 kits state that they do not fit my model year. Earlier in the thread (and tested at BikeBandit) it was stated that 08+ parts are what are specified from Kawasaki as OEM parts for all bike years now. So I am a little confused...

Is there a solution for me? I live a stone's throw away from Wiseco piston here in Mentor Ohio and I am sure they could produce or have in stock something similar to what was mentioned earlier of a 690 type 'standard' piston, or what they consider a factory upgrade of a Kaw spec oversized, etc.

I just need to know what road to start down to get mine done this year. Of course I am going to get the cyl honed, and at least put the $43.95 set of rings on what I have now, (is the napier ring out yet?) but is there a better solution for me somehow? If the 685 kits do not fit my year, I am wondering how far I can go with what I have or if there would be a frankenstein way of sourcing a 08+ jug to bore out to either the 685 kit or the 690 that was mentioned? All comments short of selling my bike outright or swapping in a $900 '07 motor would be greatly appreciated!!!
SchoolDaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #147
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,455
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolDaGeek View Post
Hello All,

I am glad that this thread has been 'revived' after two years because I am making plans as well for THIS winters maintenance-mania and would like to know what updates if any are there to the final recommendation for a 1992 KLR (A6) oil-aholic with only 11,000miles? My first shock was using 1.5qts of oil in 400miles of mostly 4500RPM highway. I refilled and proceeded to use another full quart before I reached 300 miles....I am just throwing in Super Tech 20-50 from Walmart right now but if I were able to upgrade my piston and rings on my cylinder I would re-break it in with Wymanwinn's recommendations if it meant the difference between seating the new parts correctly or returning to the old problem somewhat...

The 685 kits state that they do not fit my model year. Earlier in the thread (and tested at BikeBandit) it was stated that 08+ parts are what are specified from Kawasaki as OEM parts for all bike years now. So I am a little confused...

Is there a solution for me? I live a stone's throw away from Wiseco piston here in Mentor Ohio and I am sure they could produce or have in stock something similar to what was mentioned earlier of a 690 type 'standard' piston, or what they consider a factory upgrade of a Kaw spec oversized, etc.

I just need to know what road to start down to get mine done this year. Of course I am going to get the cyl honed, and at least put the $43.95 set of rings on what I have now, (is the napier ring out yet?) but is there a better solution for me somehow? If the 685 kits do not fit my year, I am wondering how far I can go with what I have or if there would be a frankenstein way of sourcing a 08+ jug to bore out to either the 685 kit or the 690 that was mentioned? All comments short of selling my bike outright or swapping in a $900 '07 motor would be greatly appreciated!!!
There are piston kits out there for your bike, but I would be very careful. Some of them come with the wrong rings, mis-labeled size, etc. This happened to a friend of mine that had an early bike. Fortunately Cary was abel to wave a magic wand and make it work.

If I were you, I'd find a 1996 or later cylinder on ebay or the classifieds here. This can be bored for the 685 piston and it a straight bolt-on for your bike. The way to make sure you're getting the right one would be to buy a 1997 or later, as all the cylinders would be the greenish color up to 2007, silver with green tint after that. The Tengai cylinders are the same geen color as the 1997-2007 but they are rare.
all the best,
Mike

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #148
SchoolDaGeek
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2010
Locale: Mentor, Ohio, USA
Postings: 2
SchoolDaGeek is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mike! I still need to settle my account with you for those two shims over a month back! Was trying to squeeze in the doo, but no tools....I will call by the end of business tomorrow to pay my arrears.

Any idea where else to look? Ebay cylinders so far are $229 and up, I found a complete motor on here for $500 (sold though)....Do you have any good salvage yard numbers? It is too bad that the 685 kit doesn't just come complete with a 'core' charge instead of needing to send the cylinder somewhere, I'd eat that cost...

Not ready to jump on anything yet anyway though, until Ohio winter sets in...even if I could keep it to under $600 that is sure alot of oil to burn to fix the damn problem...
SchoolDaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #149
sobrider

Locale: columbia md
Postings: 19
sobrider is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for Wyman. I just got my 685 kit from him and now I'm peppering him with constant PMs with questions about installing. So far I've been pretty happy, I mean he answers all my questions, I mean he's not real warm and fuzzy but I seem to get what I need. For instance Im going back and forth with him about ring placement. Now, I'm a real rooky when it comes to engine work and I think he knows that, and thats why he doesn't try to explain much....he just tells me what to do. Now, I'd really like to know why those top two ring gaps are positioned 90 degrees apart on the intake side rather than 180 degrees apart, front and rear like the manual says. Now I don't want to piss him off because there are probably better questions I can ask later, when I will really need the answer. So, I'm saving up for more desperate questions for later. But, getting back to Winn....yes good stuff, and very knowledgable....but warm and fuzzy??? Not even to a fellow Terp! Say, why are the rings positioned that way???? (Not to be answered by Wyman)
sobrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #150
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,455
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

It really doesn't matter where you start the rings as they will move. It's a good idea to try to at least keep the top ring opening near intake side of things. Cary's original instructions had the top ring 180 aft, 2nd ring 0/360 forward.

Some people will argue the rings don't move. The original Cary told me of a time he had to tear down a twin (BMW IIRC) right after running only a few miles. The rings were quite a bit different that they were when the engine was assembled (he did the assembly).

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #151
wymanwinn
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Locale: Solvang, CA
Postings: 9,772
wymanwinn has a spectacular aura aboutwymanwinn has a spectacular aura about

Fellow Terp...

the reason i place the rings the way I do is simple...because that is how Fujio Yoshimura taught me...just a method...

MIke is right (as usual...)...the rings will rotate in their respective ring lands due to the cross hatching of the cylinder hone...i have pulled MY 685 piston out of the bore to find the two top rings aligned, but the oil scraper rings were still 180° apart...

so there ya go...hope that helps...

wyman(warm and fuzzy)winn...
1998 Honda VFR800+...Kitty

CHECK YOUR OIL AT EVERY FUEL STOP!!!
OR IT COULD COST $1000 or MORE!!! think about it
EagleMike Products (https://www.eaglemike.com)...
wymanwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #152
Berty77

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: South-Africa
Postings: 18
Berty77 is on a distinguished road

Hey Extreme, What is the final verdict on the replacement rings?
Final part #s?
Total $?
Final result?
Berty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #153
Berty77

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: South-Africa
Postings: 18
Berty77 is on a distinguished road

Final outcome? Results?
Berty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, replacement, ring