SiteLock
Riders helping Riders / Buddy Program - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Riders Helping Riders > Buddy Program
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Buddy Program Meet up with riders in your local area, some who may need a little help or just for safety

Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2013
Locale: Hollister, California.
Postings: 2,441
Mikengrace is on a distinguished road
Default Riders helping Riders / Buddy Program

Riding is a passion for most of us. One that few would voluntarily give up. Sometimes though, as in my case, we are forced to limit or stop riding due to situations beyond our control. The buddy program is intended to hook up riders who live in nearby areas. This may allow riders to continue riding when they would not otherwise. If you are willing to ride with someone who, due illness or injury, would benefit by riding with others, look to this sub category to list your name. If you would benefit by riding with other to insure your safety, look for them here. It is our hope that limited riders willing continue to ride. Able riders will benefit by sharing time with riders in need. Both riders will benefit from the experience.
2013 Black KLR. : Acerbis, Leo Vince, T-Bob, Eagle Mike, Happy Trails, Steads Eng., Race Tech, Dyno Jet, Uni Filter, Conti, Koubalink, Pivot Pegs, Bilt, Givi, Eklipes, Garmin, Moose, EBC sintered brake pads, Kawasaki, Cogent Dynamics and farkles from many others. Plus a 2015 Yamaha
FJ-09, to keep it company.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Default Re: Riders helping Riders / Buddy Program

Hello. My name is Mike Cunningham. I am looking for a riding buddy or buddies, to ride with, in the Hollister, Cal. Area. I have terminal cancer, but still love and desire to ride. Due to dwindling strength I am becoming less willing and able to ride on my own. My skills are good as I have ridden for over 40 years. But were I to take a minor fall or have a mechanical breakdown, I may not be able to handle the situation on my own. I know the area very well, both main and back roads. I am also familiar with most of the off road areas locally. If you would be willing to let me tag along on your group or solo rides, or if you are looking for someone to ride with due to your own limitations, please send me a post or PM. Let's hook up and ride.
2013 Black KLR. : Acerbis, Leo Vince, T-Bob, Eagle Mike, Happy Trails, Steads Eng., Race Tech, Dyno Jet, Uni Filter, Conti, Koubalink, Pivot Pegs, Bilt, Givi, Eklipes, Garmin, Moose, EBC sintered brake pads, Kawasaki, Cogent Dynamics and farkles from many others. Plus a 2015 Yamaha
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Racersteve

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Central Coast Calif.
Postings: 419
Racersteve is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Riders helping Riders / Buddy Program

Mike, you are full of great ideas. Count me in again on this rider program. Central CA from Lompoc to San Luis Obispo. I would be happy to mentor any newer rider on the fine art of keeping the wheels rubber side down. Email or PM me.

Leo Vince, JD Jet kit, SS front brake line, Eagle Mike fork brace, subframe bolts and counter sprocket bolt. 12v access, new shock and fork springs, D606 and T63 tires, side racks, KLR tank bag, Pro Taper chain, you know-the basics!
Racersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Chris Soliday
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2012
Locale: Northern VA
Postings: 2,262
Chris Soliday is just really niceChris Soliday is just really niceChris Soliday is just really niceChris Soliday is just really niceChris Soliday is just really nice

Sadly I am on the wrong coast right now, but I want to say this to any young riders out there reading this: this is a perfect way to learn from a “wise one”. Milk this kind senior (40 years riding experience) for all his trail wisdom, life wisdom, and friendship as you provide him with his needs too. It is a win-win.

It is a strength to be willing to learn from others! Happy riding,
Chris Soliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Merritt64

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 306
Merritt64 is on a distinguished road

I think Mike's point is to have people do this anywhere not just in his neck of the woods. So rider's willing to share their time can identify their location and people in that area can hook up to ride.
Merritt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt64 View Post
I think Mike's point is to have people do this anywhere not just in his neck of the woods. So rider's willing to share their time can identify their location and people in that area can hook up to ride.
You are correct Merritt64. The goal is for this forum to help riders everywhere. Anyone willing to help a fellow rider is welcome and encouraged to get involved in this program. Sign up to be a riding buddy. It will be a great experience for everyone.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soliday View Post
Sadly I am on the wrong coast right now, but I want to say this to any young riders out there reading this: this is a perfect way to learn from a “wise one”. Milk this kind senior (40 years riding experience) for all his trail wisdom, life wisdom, and friendship as you provide him with his needs too. It is a win-win.

It is a strength to be willing to learn from others! Happy riding,
Thanks for the kind words Chris. Please feel free to add your name to any of this lists or sub categories in the Riders helping Riders sub forum. The goal is to help out fellow riders in many areas and ways. This forum is full of great people who give their time, experience and knowledge freely. Hopefully it will be easier to get those in need together with those who give.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
bwwoodard

Super Cool Since: Jan 2011
Locale: KY, USA
Postings: 182
bwwoodard is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Great thought and introduction for this thread. I appreciate Glenn making this thread a reality, and wish you were closer so that we could catch some rides together.

I think that your idea, to connect riders, is a great one. I encourage us all to utilize this thread and get to know riders in our areas. I think individual threads, which are area specific, will help people connect more easily.

Even for a healthy rider, it's better and safer to ride with company, in case of any unforeseen problems--especially off-road riding.

Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
Riding is a passion for most of us. One that few would voluntarily give up. Sometimes though, as in my case, we are forced to limit or stop riding due to situations beyond our control. The buddy program is intended to hook up riders who live in nearby areas. This may allow riders to continue riding when they would not otherwise. If you are willing to ride with someone who, due illness or injury, would benefit by riding with others, look to this sub category to list your name. If you would benefit by riding with other to insure your safety, look for them here. It is our hope that limited riders willing continue to ride. Able riders will benefit by sharing time with riders in need. Both riders will benefit from the experience.
bwwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,659
NVGTI is on a distinguished road

Mike - if you somehow end up in Nevada Carson City area give me a shout. Would be happy to ride with ya.

Anyone else, come to think of it, same goes.

Lynn

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
Mike,

Great thought and introduction for this thread. I appreciate Glenn making this thread a reality, and wish you were closer so that we could catch some rides together.

I think that your idea, to connect riders, is a great one. I encourage us all to utilize this thread and get to know riders in our areas. I think individual threads, which are area specific, will help people connect more easily.

Even for a healthy rider, it's better and safer to ride with company, in case of any unforeseen problems--especially off-road riding.

Byron
Thanks Byron.
Trying to think of a way to make a quick look list of the names and locations as you suggested. I think I will go back over the post every once in a while and list them all on one post. At least for now, until we see how well this catches on. So far so good I think. Good point about how we all should try to buddy up, limitations or not. It's safer and more fun. I agree, it is great that Glenn made this sub forum happen. He truly wants to help his fellow riders and forum members.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

To NVGTI.
Thanks for the ride offer. I love that area. Do you know the Virginia City area well? I have been in the area a few times but never ridden bikes there. It looks like a great area to ride. Any one in the area should take you up on your offer to ride. It looks made for Dual Sports and KLRs specifically!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Alexx45

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Deer Park, TX
Postings: 93
Alexx45 is on a distinguished road

Add my name to the Buddy list. My riding experience is limited and right now my time is also. Hopefully some of my time will free up & I can meet some other riders. I live in Deer Park, TX which is on the southeast side of Houston. I'll update my member info to include my name, address, phone number & email.

BTW I went to High school in Virginia City. My brother used to be a regular rider in the VC Grand Prix. AKA the rock fest.... Yes that would be prime KLR country I hope to get back there & ride it soon.
Alexx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Hello Alexx45. Thank you, and welcome to the Buddy List. Your name will be added to the Buddy List as of now. I hope it leads to a great experience for you and those you hook up with. This list is intended to provide the ability for those who cannot ride on their own, for what ever reason, to have a partner to share their riding experience with. In this way the rider limited, because of illness or injury, may ride where he would not of otherwise. The able rider will can benefit from the experience and company of the limited rider. I hope everyone grows as a rider in the end.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
rider_34
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: SoCal
Postings: 33
rider_34 is on a distinguished road

This is a fantastic idea. Anyone who needs a riding buddy in Orange County, CA feel free to hit me up. Been on a bike since I was 8 and I'm 42 now. I know the local riding areas very well although I can still manage to get myself turned around in the desert. I work Mon-Fri and I don't miss Saints football games, other than that I can make myself avail. and would love to give a tour of our local Santa Ana Mountain range. From Santiago Mtn. to Cooks Corner to Holy Jim to Silverado. All great rides.
rider_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Hello rider_34.

Thank you for your interest in including your name on the "Buddy Riders" list. Your name will be included as of now. The idea is to hopefully get riders to hook up with fellow members to share their experiences and make the sport safer. Especially the off road and dual sport part. It is hoped some riders who would not take these rides on their own, will do so with a riding partner. I hope it leads to many great experiences for you and those you ride with. Enjoy and ride safe.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
rider_34
A Regular

Thumbs down Re: Riders helping Riders / Buddy Program

Mike thanks for the opportunity. It would be my pleasure to help anyone that needs it to get out and enjoy the thing we all love. 2 wheels and a throttle. If you weren't so far north I'd scoop you up for some trail runs. What you have going hits closer to home than you can imagine and we're all fortunate to have you here still giving to the community.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your kind words and thoughts. That is the exact idea behind the "Riders helping Riders" sub forum. I cannot ride the way I used to with out a riding partner, for if I go down. Something as simple as laying the bike over at a standstill, might leave me stranded. So I almost gave up what I love to do. This forum has helped me, and I hope many others, to continue riding. People like yourself are just who I was hoping would respond to the idea. I hope it gives both you, and those you ride with, many great experiences and memories. Keep us posted of your riding and any you do with other members. Ride safe.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
rider_34
A Regular

Hell ya. We all know a brother in need is a friend indeed.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
justjoe
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Cape Coral, FL
Postings: 8
justjoe is on a distinguished road

Cape Coral, FL and I'll ride anywhere down here (and will ride most anywhere South of I-4 on my streetbike).

I'm in! It's been 30 years since I've ridden off road but I have a bunch of on road experience. Either way, street or dirt, I'm in.

“True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.”

― Socrates
justjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
Mikengrace
KLR Enthusiast

Hello justjoe.

Thank you for your interest in adding your name to the "Buddy Riders" list. Your name will be added to the list as of today. I hope it leads to many great rides and adventures. Remember to try and include riders you know who might not venture out on their own. Sharing our love for motorcycling and adventure riding is what it is all about. Ride safe and enjoy.
Sponsored links

Tags
buddy, helping, program, riders