SiteLock
Southern California Riders - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Riders Helping Riders > Buddy Program
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Buddy Program Meet up with riders in your local area, some who may need a little help or just for safety

Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
DSchmidt7of7

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: Orange County, CA
Postings: 95
DSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enoughDSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enough
Default Southern California Riders

Hey:

Reaching out to other OC Locals to see if there's any interest in things like mid-week bike nites, day trips to the local mountains or perhaps planning longer multi-day camping runs.

Here's my story - I live in North Orange County (Anaheim). After riding a plated XR650R for many years, I picked-up a 2015 KLR in January to shift from the faster paced hard-core and technical desert and dual sport stuff to more long-range adventure riding. During the week I'll do afternoon-evening street rides in the local area, going 50-100 miles at a time and grabbing a burger along the way. On weekends (as schedules permit) I'll head to the San Bernardino Mountains for a combination of fire roads and trails up to and around Big Bear.

Send a reply if you're at all interested. Better yet, let me know if there's a group already out there. And yes, all skill levels and bikes welcome.

C-ya
DSchmidt7of7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enoughDSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Southern California Riders

Bump.... Are any of you Orange County KLRista's out there?
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Isrcov

Super Cool Since: Jan 2017
Locale: California
Postings: 10
Isrcov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt7of7 View Post
Bump.... Are any of you Orange County KLRista's out there?
I am a new motorcycle rider. Passed the safety course. Got my m1 and bought a KLR650 right off. Terrifying. Shouldn't have listened to my friends. I wanted a 250 but they said you want multi-sport.

I bought it the week after my safety course and permit test (still waiting for cert to arrive in mail.) But I ride at night with no traffic and while not confident in traffic, learning the bike well. I am looking for someone who is a serious student of motorcycles to learn from and learn with. I live in Hollywood.

Now three weeks in I have M1 and loving that this is my first bike. Shoot me an email.

Isrcov
Isrcov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,526
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

If you organize a ride, chances are I can make it most weekends... Set up a ride!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
DSchmidt7of7

Hey Isrcov. Congrats on the new bike and completing the motorcycle training. I'm sure you'll soon learn that this website is a great source of information about the KLR and that the people here are very helpful. Don't be afraid to post questions that you might have and learn to use the search function to find good technical information.

As far as rides go, this crappy weather is making it tough to schedule a ride. Once things have dried out a little bit I'll probably make a run out to the desert. Check back in the next week or so. You can also subscribe to a thread and will receive a notification whenever there's an update.

Ride safe.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Isrcov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt7of7 View Post
Hey Isrcov. Congrats on the new bike and completing the motorcycle training. I'm sure you'll soon learn that this website is a great source of information about the KLR and that the people here are very helpful. Don't be afraid to post questions that you might have and learn to use the search function to find good technical information.

As far as rides go, this crappy weather is making it tough to schedule a ride. Once things have dried out a little bit I'll probably make a run out to the desert. Check back in the next week or so. You can also subscribe to a thread and will receive a notification whenever there's an update.

Ride safe.
Sounds great. I am doing some tune-ups this weekend.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
jgroenke
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2014
Locale: Los Angeles, CA
Postings: 75
jgroenke is on a distinguished road
Default March Weekend Ride, North of Los Angeles

I've got an idea to do a weekend loop ride in March starting in Santa Clarita using fire roads, gravel roads and small paved back roads up to the Carrizo Plain National Monument.

https://advrider.com/index.php?attach...op-gpx.729736/

The plan is to start early Saturday morning in Santa Clarita and camp Saturday night in the Carrizo National Monument. On Sunday head South and East through the wine country ending up in Carpinteria late Sunday afternoon. Those who like can eat at The Spot in Carpinteria and then split up from there to head back home depending on where you live. It basically stays in the Angeles and Los Padres National forests most of the way and is roughly 50% dirt and 50% paved. All fire road, gravel road and small paved roads but no single track with a total distance of 383 miles. Track is posted at the link above but here is a brief description:

(Start) Santa Clarita, Leona Ridge Fire Road, Libre Mt Road, Hungry Valley, Quatel Canyon, Carrizo Natl Monument (camp at Selby Camp), Bates Canyon, Sierra Madre Road, Tepesquet Canyon, Camino Cielo Road, Carpinteria (End)

I'm still doing some research and looking for possible gas stops but it looks like it will require a range of around 175 miles. I'm thinking of either the March 11 or March 18 weekend and depending on interest could go either way. If anybody is interested please let me know.
LAKLR650
jgroenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
DSchmidt7of7

Default Re: March Weekend Ride, North of Los Angeles

jgroenke - Thanks for posting a future ride. There's a lot of good riding in the area you suggested. Schedules being what they are (kids soccer) I'm a "definite maybe" for either weekend. I'll know more as we get closer.

In the meantime, I'm planning to do some riding south and east of Victorville on Saturday 1/28 and/or Sunday 1/29 if anybody wants to meet out there. Hoping to do mostly fire roads and jeep trails, we can adjust the route and difficulty based on who shows up.

If any of you OC KLRista's want to get together, I'm always up for a quick ride or a "meet and eat".

C-ya.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
Isrcov

Default Re: March Weekend Ride, North of Los Angeles

I don't think I am up for that long of a ride. I am looking for something much shorter. Thanks for the opportunity. I am still tuning up my bike and making sure it is ready for a long haul.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
jcdied4me

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Postings: 238
jcdied4me is on a distinguished road

Hey DSchmidt7of7, I live close to Riverside. More in the Loma Linda/Grand Terrace/San Bernardino border area. I am also looking for some peeps in the area to work on bikes (I.E. tech day) and ride together. Hit me up if you want to do a small tech day and/or ride. This goes for anyone in SoCal and willing to travel out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored links

Tags
california, riders, southern