SiteLock
Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Xtreme
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Arkansas
Postings: 2,519
Xtreme is on a distinguished road
Default Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here.

I have been thinking about this and have decided to list the part numbers so that people can decide for themselves and order the rings for their own bikes after they have been tested.

These are Hastings high quality rings for use in an iron bore. They have not yet been tested but are due to be installed next week.

Compression rings part# 46825

The factory spec for these rings is 0.0461-0.0469

The Hastings rings are 0.0465 x 3.9375

These are 5 pound rings.

Flex Vent oil ring spacer part # 48809

Oil rails part # 48354 These are 0.0800 x 0.0180 x 3.9375

The oil ring size is based on the factory size ring but it has twice the tension of the stock ring at 10 pounds.

These are steel chrome faced rings and you can order a set from Hasting for $29.00

Hopefully this post will be made a sticky.

Last edited by Xtreme; 03-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
danodemotoman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2004
Postings: 189
danodemotoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here.

Whoo hoo!
Maybe celebrating a bit early. Can't wait to hear Andy's results after some miles.
I am putting the 685 kit on the '08. Had it deliveered this week.
Expect to install the oem '08 parts in the '00 with this Hastings oil ring.
Question? Why not just replace the oil ring and not the two compression rings? Not (just) to be cheap but is there a practical reason?
Thanks Andy!
Dan in Graham WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
I have been thinking about this and have decided to list the part numbers so that people can decide for themselves and order the rings for their own bikes after they have been tested.

These are Hastings high quality rings for use in an iron bore. They have not yet been tested but are due to be installed next week.

Compression rings part# 46825

The factory spec for these rings is 0.0461-0.0469

The Hastings rings are 0.0465 x 3.9375

These are 5 pound rings.

Flex Vent oil ring spacer part # 48809

Oil rails part # 48354 These are 0.0800 x 0.0180 x 3.9375

The oil ring size is based on the factory size ring but it has twice the tension of the stock ring at 10 pounds.

These are steel chrome faced rings and you can order a set from Hasting for $29.00

Hopefully this post will be made a sticky.
danodemotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by danodemotoman View Post
Whoo hoo!
Maybe celebrating a bit early. Can't wait to hear Andy's results after some miles.
I am putting the 685 kit on the '08. Had it deliveered this week.
Expect to install the oem '08 parts in the '00 with this Hastings oil ring.
Question? Why not just replace the oil ring and not the two compression rings? Not (just) to be cheap but is there a practical reason?
Thanks Andy!
Dan in Graham WA
For bikes that use oil the cylinders need to be honed. I wouldn't want to use the old rings after honing the cylinder and I think the Hastings rings are better than the stock rings. Compression rings are also responsible for oil control, especially the second ring.

My bike has a lot of blow by and consequently it puts a lot of oil into the crankcase breather so I know the stock rings on my bike need to be replaced.

I just don't have any faith the stock rings, so I figure it's worth replacing them all.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,636
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting it.
I agree, the cylinder needs to be honed.. so you should replace all three rings.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
ProdigalSon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jan 2007
Locale: K.C.M.O.
Postings: 963
ProdigalSon is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to hear how these baby's work! I def. cannot afford the 685 kit right now to control oil use.

R.I.P. Cary...a true gentleman...
https://www.prodigalsoncoating.com/
ProdigalSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
RockyMTNRider
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Sep 2007
Locale: Billings, MT
Postings: 1,585
RockyMTNRider is on a distinguished road

Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Xtreme
Been here a while

There is a Total Seal gapless top ring available but it's not cheap. It is a two piece ring part# M3937XS (204439)

Bore dia: 99.99 mm (3.937)

It is 469 (1.2mm) thick, this the maximum thickness recommended by Kawasaki for the top ring in the 08.

The radial width is 141 same as the Hastings ring.

So if anyone wants to use a gapless top ring there it is.

Cost 30 bucks for one.

I'm staying with the Hastings rings.

Last edited by Xtreme; 04-08-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Xtreme
Been here a while

As per KLRCary's suggestion I sent a stock 08 piston off to get it coated in PC-9 before the install. Cost $18.00

Sent it to https://www.swaintech.com/

Quote:
Swain Tech Coatings provides high performance engine coatings and industrial coatings to solve the problems of wear, heat, friction and corrosion. Our high performance coatings include ceramic thermal barriers, dry film lubricants, ceramic exhaust coatings, oil shedding coatings and several other coatings to improve the performance and/or durability of high performance parts.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2003
Locale: Santa Fe, NM: North of Spoonbooty
Postings: 4,111
Swiftbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
As per KLRCary's suggestion I sent a stock 08 piston off to get it coated in PC-9 before the install. Cost $18.00

Sent it to https://www.swaintech.com/
Interesting X, I've been debating sending my exhaust to Swain for their ceramic coating. I'm intrigued with the idea that the white coating can be oversprayed with any color heat (bbq) paint.

Anyway, as for the PC-9, I was under the impression this treatment was for piston that were a bit undersized for the bore? What is the thinking or advantage this treatment will do?

As I suspect the PC-9 should add to longevity, I wonder if it wouldn't also be advisable to send the piston off for cryogenic treatment? For one piston, couldn't be that expensive but I'd think the cold treatment should probably be done before the PC-9 coating?

As for the rings, do these only fit on the '08 piston or would they also work on the older model?

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Cryo probably wouldn't be a good idea for the piston.
The rings won't work with the earlier models, the ring dimensions are different. You could however use a 2008 piston and these rings in an earlier engine.
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #11
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Thanks Glenn. I wonder though, why wouldn't cryo help strengthen the piston? I would think it would help with keeping it round and likewise may help help minimize cylinder ovalizing? Have no idea though - purely speculating.

As for the '08 piston, naah, I was just pondering about the rings but to purchase the '08 set, I'd rather go with Cary's 685 build.

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Pure speculation.. but I think it could become too brittle?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Ahhh, I see. No, there is much misunderstanding about what cyrogen does to metal. It's referenced commonly as hardening but it doesn't truly harden. The metal won't gain a higher Rockwell. What actually happens, is the mineral gains are reshuffled and packed to a denser, more stable state. You can visually see the change under a microscope and somewhat with a magnifying glass. Grain boundaries and their width are reduced. Note that metal fatigue will always occur at grain boundaries. This is what metal forging and hammering does to metals, they reshuffle and minimize the grain boundaries making it stronger. Probably a better way to interpret cryogenics is the metal becomes more rugged.

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftbow View Post

Anyway, as for the PC-9, I was under the impression this treatment was for piston that were a bit undersized for the bore? What is the thinking or advantage this treatment will do?

As for the rings, do these only fit on the '08 piston or would they also work on the older model?

Doug
Any piston can be coated with PC-9. PC-9 can be used to slightly increase the diameter of a piston but it's primary job is a hard lubricant.

The rings will only fit a standard sized 08 piston.

If someone has an 08 oil burner all they need to do is fit the hastings rings nothing else.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
Swiftbow
Been here a while

I'll havta do some more investigating Andy. I find the idea of PC-9 very intriguing. Have you read anything about long term reports - any concern or issue with large segments flaking off?

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftbow View Post
I'll havta do some more investigating Andy. I find the idea of PC-9 very intriguing. Have you read anything about long term reports - any concern or issue with large segments flaking off?

Doug
It is used on all sorts of pistons, I think the 685 piston is coated in it but that could be poly moly, I don't know.

No, it does not flake off in large segments, it is a long term ceramic lube, not much different than any other piston coating but better than poly moly.

Swain Tech coatings is very well known.

Quote:
PC-9 – The latest and most durable piston skirt coating and other applications. Applied about .0008” thick when applied to piston skirts.

Last edited by Xtreme; 04-15-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Cryo is great for the iron bore, but I don't know much about it when it comes to aluminum pistons.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Cryo is great for the iron bore, but I don't know much about it when it comes to aluminum pistons.

The principal is the same for all metal and mineral type crystalline bonds. So, it's the same atomic level reshuffling process for Al as for Fe metals. However, it won't help polymers or things like wood.

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Cool. Sounds good, but it would probably be over-kill given the 705 bore is cryo treated. Coating the stock piston skirt definitely sounds like a good idea to resist scuffing.
REALLY looking forward to the results of these rings... I'm sure they'll work great but I still want to hear they eliminated all oil usage.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
KLRCARY
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Aug 2005
Locale: DECATUR, INDIANA
Postings: 839
KLRCARY is on a distinguished road

I don't know if cryo treating the stock piston would be enough to prevent the ring land fracturing that sometimes occurs, but it certainly won't hurt. Cheap insurance as it would not cost more than $5-8 to do.

The Swain PC9 coating is awesome stuff. It has given an extra season or two to many piston sets. You can easily tighten up the fit with it, and it stays on.

Cary
KLRCARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
custom, replacement, ring