SiteLock
Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here. - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #61
Xtreme
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Arkansas
Postings: 2,519
Xtreme is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom 08 Replacement Ring #'s here.

My bike has used some oil.

327 miles with a 15T

577 miles with a 14T

904 miles total.

It has used about 300 mls of Super Tech 20w50.

If that is all it is going to use in 900 miles I'm happy.

I will be switching to Castrol Syntec 20w50 soon. I am also switching back to the 15T because I find the motor revs to high at highways speeds. Yesterday it was running at 6K coming back from Farmington AR on the 540 and the 40.

If I was to make changes to the rings I would use a Total Seal gapless top ring, and the new kawasaki 0.018x0.900 oil rails with the Hastings flex vent spacer. The Hastings rails are 0.018x0.0800.

---
Hography, I think it would ok to use the Hastings compression and oil rings but a Total Seal top ring and the new Kawasaki oil rails would be even better when used with the Hastings flex vent spacer.

Before you do anything you may want to consider a stock sized forged replacement piston from Schnitz for 185 bucks. It is forged, coated and comes with rings, and your cylinder is good.

Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #62
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,636
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Andy, have you thought about giving Rotella a try?
It's extremely sheer stable and because it's a little lower viscosity it might eliminate any usage.
Would you mind running Rotella 15w40 for just one oil change and reporting your results?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #63
hography

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Farmington, AR
Postings: 382
hography is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Before you do anything you may want to consider a stock sized forged replacement piston from Schnitz for 185 bucks. It is forged, coated and comes with rings, and your cylinder is good.
Isn't it also lighter than stock, therefore smoother? I will give that some thought. It will be less confusing for sure.
hography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #64
hography

Quote:
There is a Total Seal gapless top ring available but it's not cheap. It is a two piece ring part# M3937XS (204439)

Bore dia: 99.99 mm (3.937)

It is 469 (1.2mm) thick, this the maximum thickness recommended by Kawasaki for the top ring in the 08.

The radial width is 141 same as the Hastings ring.

So if anyone wants to use a gapless top ring there it is.

Cost 30 bucks for one.

I'm staying with the Hastings rings.

Andy, I searched this parts number and got the following results. Which one or will any of the last 5 for the top ring work?

Part# M3937XS

Harley's are about as useful as teats on a boar hog.

Last edited by hography; 05-20-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #65
hography

Also, what are the tolerances for the roundness of the cylinder?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #66
Xtreme
Been here a while

Well, now I don't know how much oil has been used due to oil burning because it now has an oil leak at the primary drive output shaft. First noticed oil at Hography's yesterday, checked it again at the gas station today, not much oil just a few spots on the ground and on the backwheel.

I should have got a Triumph.

Last edited by Xtreme; 05-20-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #67
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Andy, have you thought about giving Rotella a try?
It's extremely sheer stable and because it's a little lower viscosity it might eliminate any usage.
Would you mind running Rotella 15w40 for just one oil change and reporting your results?
Yes I will give it a try next oil change but first I have to fix the output shaft oil leak. For all I know it could have lost 300 mls over 900 miles because of that.

I have used Rotella before, I am using Super Tech because it was cheap and made for a good break in oil. Although I think it's got friction modifiers in it.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #68
AmazingJas
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Sydney, Australia
Postings: 212
AmazingJas is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you're having some success with the new ring setup, sure there will be a lot of peeps who will go your route if all continues well.

Just wondering, at what point do you think you'll be comfortable with the thought that you've fixed the problem? It seems that the oil-burning problem seems to strike at random mileages which vary from bike to bike.

I have only just got my first 1000km under my belt, and so far, no loss of oil. I guess I'm really asking, at what point can I be reasonably confident that i dont have a burner?
AmazingJas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #69
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingJas View Post

I have only just got my first 1000km under my belt, and so far, no loss of oil. I guess I'm really asking, at what point can I be reasonably confident that i dont have a burner?
If you run it at high speed for a few hours, say 70 or more if it is going to use oil that should be when it starts.

I think the reason for this is that the stock oil control ring fails at around 5k rpm. This would cause some oil use initially, but more importantly that burnt oil would glaze the bore and it would then continue to burn oil even at lower speeds. My bike was using about a quart of oil in 400 miles at 55-60 mph average.

If the bike is not ridden for a long period of time over 5k rpm it may never use oil. And after looking at Hography's bike I am convinced that many of these bikes are going to do this.

There was no obvious reason for his bike to use oil. We are waiting to hear if the bore is out of round (I forgot to take my calipers) But if it's not, the only thing left would be the oil control ring because the compression rings were in good condition and well within spec. There was no sign of warping in the bore but it was glazed from oil burning.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #70
Xtreme
Been here a while

Hography, I would either go ahead and install the Hastings rings or order the forged and coated stock sized piston from Schnitz. The forged piston comes with rings, a coated pin and circlips. It is a far better piston that stock.

Schnitz can also supply the gaskets and oil filters, I don't know if they are included with the forged piston. Ask Cary.

Just trying to keep it simple.

(Back to work)

Last edited by Xtreme; 05-22-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #71
hography

Cylinder is good shape and has been lightly honed. I am going to send my piston off to be coated. I am really thinking about sending my header pipe off to get the ceramic coating at the same time I get the piston coated. I am also going to go with the mix-matched ring set we had discussed. I will get what I can from Cary as far as gasket and filters go but I just can't see the benefits of the new piston when less than $100 more would get the 685 kit and mine is not messed up.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #72
Xtreme
Been here a while

PM sent.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #73
hography

Quote:
PM sent.
Thanks.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #74
panthaka
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Duncan, BC CA
Postings: 230
panthaka is on a distinguished road

New here and certainly wished I'd read more of these threads before I set off on my trip from Vancouver BC to Tucson AZ. Had no idea about oil burning KLR's. My 08 hasn't burned anything since I bought it July of last year. Then, on a four day trip to Tucson with lots of highway but, little freeway driving it develops this problem. I left Mojave CA at 5am Tuesday after my morning checklist with the oil just below the upper mark. Just south of Buckeye AZ on Highway 85 (450 miles) it ran out of oil and burned up the top end. Four and a half hours later roadside assistance shows up and tows me back to Goodyear. After a week of waiting for the US dealership to deal with the Canadian warranty they finally approved it and I'm back home waiting for it to be fixed. $1600 just in parts. Could be three to six weeks because the replacement ring set is on back order.

The moral of this story is, I guess, as the service manager at Kawasaki Superstore in Phoenix told me. If you're logging a lot of highway miles on your 08 KLR. Check the oil every time you fill the tank. Theres nothing worse that sitting on the side of athe road with a blown engine on your brand new bike.

Apparently, the Kawasaki stock (improved) replacement rings have not solved the problem (according to said service manager).

Have fun riding.

Metta, Chris
panthaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #75
hography

D#^%it, Kawa rings are on backorder. I guess they are doing alot of swapping. I am just going to get Hasting's complete ring set.

Andy, can I go with the oversized oil rails to be equivalent to the thicker kawa rails. Parts guy at my dealer suggested it and then file the gap if needed.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #76
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by hography View Post

Andy, can I go with the oversized oil rails to be equivalent to the thicker kawa rails. Parts guy at my dealer suggested it and then file the gap if needed.
No.

The arc on over sized rails must still be 0.090 or less and the end gap on the hastings rails will be around 0.015, well within Kawasaki spec, I think they say 0.016 minimum but I would have to check. Hastings say 0.015 minimum, mine gapped at 0.015.

It's very tricky getting rings that fit both the piston and the cylinder, everything has to be exact.

Over sized rings will not conform to the cylinder wall correctly.

A manufacturer may state that a ring is certain size, I measured a ring advertised as having an arc of 0.090 because it did not fit the piston, with the chrome face it on it turned out to be almost 0.100. This is why the first set of hastings rings did not fit.

What we do know is that the Hastings rings work with this engine. And although my bike has used 300mls of oil in 900 miles I think it will get better. They are after all steel rings and they often take some time to fully seat, hard to conform.

On a side not, I think we should seat them with Rotella, not Super Tech as I did.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #77
hography

That is kinda what I thought and gave him a crazy look when he told me that at the time. But I thought WTH, I'm no mechanic.

I'm definitely getting the header pipe done now! Did you get the piston skirt coated only?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #78
Xtreme
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by hography View Post
That is kinda what I thought and gave him a crazy look when he told me that at the time. But I thought WTH, I'm no mechanic.

I'm definitely getting the header pipe done now! Did you get the piston skirt coated only?
Yes just the skirt.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #79
hography

Quote:
Yes just the skirt.
Regular or the heavy build up (.002-.004")?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #80
Xtreme
Been here a while

Yes a regular coat of PC-9 is what I had done.

Take a look at the swaintech website, under motorcycles.

Sponsored links

Tags
custom, replacement, ring