SiteLock
KLR650 DooHickey wrench loaner tool thread - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
boggerbutt
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: st paul innesota
Postings: 140
boggerbutt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DooHickey tool thread

Its an '08...Hmm..a year from now?..I cant wait that long. I guess I ll order a puller and get er done. Thanks again..
{unless anyone in the minnesota area would loan or sell their puller or have any ideas where i can buy locally}

Last edited by boggerbutt; 05-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.
boggerbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
Judjonzz
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: Gone fishin'
Postings: 10,633
Judjonzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggerbutt View Post
Its an '08...Hmm..a year from now?..I cant wait that long. I guess I ll order a puller and get er done. Thanks again..
{unless anyone in the minnesota area would loan or sell their puller or have any ideas where i can buy locally}
If it's an '08, there is absolutely no reason you can't wait. Your quadrant is not going to break. Your enjoyment of the bike will not be diminished. You won't be adjusting you balancer chain much in the next year, but that will not ground you.

If you had an '07 or earlier, I'd say come on down to Lakeland sometime between now and the end of the riding season and we will change it. Even with an earlier model, you could wait for a year, but there is a slim chance that a failed quadrant could cause real trouble, so there is a reason to do it sooner rather than later.
Judjonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #23
Scubatony
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2009
Locale: Cozumel, Mexico
Postings: 38
Scubatony is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: DooHickey tool thread

Would love to borrow the tools in Denver this week. I have the EM doo and need to get the job done before Friday if anyone can loan me the puller and wrench I would get it back asap! Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
rbs75
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: Madison, Alabama
Postings: 43
rbs75 is on a distinguished road

anyone near north alabama have tools to loan?
rbs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
rbs75
A Regular

never mind, i went ahead and ordered them.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
plumbering
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: Toronto, Ontario
Postings: 23
plumbering is on a distinguished road

anyone in the Toronto area (GTA) have the doohickey tools I can borrow for a week or so?

I'm going down to Mexico in about a month, and I heard its probably a good idea to get the doo replaced in an '08 with about 15,000km on it.

Cheers,
Peter from Toronto
plumbering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
neander
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: So Cal
Postings: 1,200
neander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnden View Post
I thought I was the only one!!!! I have ordered and been very pleased with the products I have recieved from HT, but when this came I just had to stand and stare at it. I was really surprised that I would spend $30 on something like this. The picture on the web showed a nice looking, well made tool, what arrived was-- well --- A picture is worth a thousand words!!! I will say it did work alright, (not good, but all right) we did 3 bikes with it. Den

Here is the one pictured on there site

Here is what arrived: And although the picture is pretty good, the tool is crude! did is say Crude!!!

Yes this is it!!
The ugly one is way stronger than the bolted one...You did three doos with it and you don't like it???
neander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #28
mnnden
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: mn
Postings: 59
mnnden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neander View Post
The ugly one is way stronger than the bolted one...You did three doos with it and you don't like it???
Didn't say I didn't like it, I said it was "Crude" and it is!! , we did 3 "doo's" and it worked OK and I am sure it will do as many "doo's" as a person wants it to do, your not going to wear it out, (it is heavy duty)
and I think you are correct, it problly is stronger than the bolted one Den
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #29
erik508
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 4
erik508 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggerbutt View Post
I just bought a 1997 a couple weeks ago (my 1st bike). I know this service has not been done on my bike yet. I talked with this guy (www.joesvcycle.com) who I found on CL, was planning to just order it and bring it in to him. I guess I should find out if he has these tools.
erik508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
Monkeywrench
Occasional Poster

Locale: Houston
Postings: 3
Monkeywrench is on a distinguished road

Just bought 04 Aztec that was wrecked, fixed it and put it on the road and need to do the doo. Anyone have tools to send me, I'll post them afterward for shipping to next doo it yourselfer. I like the post about bending the 1 1/4 wrench; I could do that and enjoy it, but wait for a week to see if the tools are available first.
Thanks, Monkewrench in Houston
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
rbs75
A Regular

i have tools in north alabama for anyone close.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #32
wyoroads
A Regular

Locale: BIG WYOMING
Postings: 111
wyoroads is on a distinguished road

Ok, you guys got me. I have been riding a klr for 7 years, but don't know about the doohickey. New to the forum. What is it and how important is it to replace? Thanks.
wyoroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #33
rbs75
A Regular

do it as soon as possible. i didn't think it was that big of a deal until i saw first hand how flimsy the stock part was. 15k miles and mine was broken into 4 pieces and i still haven't found the spring.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
Judjonzz
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoroads View Post
Ok, you guys got me. I have been riding a klr for 7 years, but don't know about the doohickey. New to the forum. What is it and how important is it to replace? Thanks.
It is the balancer idler adjuster quadrant, part of the chain tensioning system for your engine's dynamic balancer. It is prone to failure. It is important to replace. It is not important to replace right this minute. Search around, see if you can find a tech day within comfortable riding distance. It will keep until then.

If you can't find a tech day in the next six or eight months, you probably never will. By then, you will have acquired enough know-how to get the parts and tools and do it yourself, or made enough KLR buddies to find someone who can lend you the tools and maybe give you a hand.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #35
Ki4SwY

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: New Port Richey, FL
Postings: 16
Ki4SwY is on a distinguished road

my question is: what are the symptoms of this going bad?

I just got a 98, ordered a spare case gasket, but was wondering if there is anyway to tell if its been replaced WITHOUT tearing the whole side apart, i have 90% of the tools, just don't have that crazy looking wrench..
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #36
Judjonzz
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki4SwY View Post
my question is: what are the symptoms of this going bad?

I just got a 98, ordered a spare case gasket, but was wondering if there is anyway to tell if its been replaced WITHOUT tearing the whole side apart, i have 90% of the tools, just don't have that crazy looking wrench..
The bike can seem fine with a broken quadrant or spring; you might never know it's bad unless you are one of the unfortunates who experiences catastrophic failure.

The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and look. I don't think you can tell without removing the rotor, which means if you are going to the trouble to find out, you might as well replace it while you are in there.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #37
Ki4SwY

ok, guess i will keep trying to call Em.. Called today and got no answer, so, i will try tommorrow.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #38
[TASF]Overkill

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Lynchburg, VA
Postings: 505
[TASF]Overkill is on a distinguished road

I've got a wrench and rotor puller in Lynchburg, VA.
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #39
08 blu21
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Brooklyn NYC
Postings: 60
08 blu21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TASF]Overkill View Post
I've got a wrench and rotor puller in Lynchburg, VA.
I just did mine got the kit from EM i have 12000 miles on my 08 i found the sping just laying there doing nada,took it out tossed it and put the torsion spring,very tight fit ,runs great ,chain is nice and tight. I also did my vaule shimms and a KLX needle,very fun and easy bike to work on,,so if anyone in or near Brooklyn NY ,needs the toolz and help let me know
08 blu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #40
Ki4SwY

I just ordered the kit on Tuesday, and will be doing it Sat...
Sponsored links

Tags
doohickey, klr650, loaner, thread, tool, wrench